How much sealant in a 29er Tyre?

Morwa

A quick question for the guru's. I'm converting my current wheels (29er) to tubeless. How much sealant do you require for a 29er compared to a 26er tyre?

The Zero Flats bottle specify 60ml per wheel....I assume it's for a 26er.

Next question....is it possible to put to much sealant in a wheel, and what will happen?

TX for the reply Splat! Is there any benefit in adding more sealant? I watched a Super Cycling program the other day on the "Grape Escape" and Burry complaining about not having enough sealant in his wheels. What will happen if I use 150ml sealant in a wheel?

I used 2 and a half cups of Stans per tyre/wheel. I'd rather be safe than sorry ....

TX for the reply Splat! Is there any benefit in adding more sealant? I watched a Super Cycling program the other day on the "Grape Escape" and Burry complaining about not having enough sealant in his wheels. What will happen if I use 150ml sealant in a wheel?

I am riding with about 150 ml slime in my tyres, Run a combo of thick and thin slime, and to date no punctures. Does add a bit of weight though.

If you are using NO FLATS tyre sealant, it is recommended that you use between 170ml / 180ml per tyre. While this may seem like a lot of product to be using, due to my products capillary ability to cling to the entire inner surface of the tyre, the weight is hardly noticeable.

• 6 years later...

Hi all I'm new to mtb and I would like to know if I can use fugit in my tubeless Tyre. I am doing a conversion from tube and have a 29er. Please any help would be graet

Hi all I'm new to mtb and I would like to know if I can use fugit in my tubeless Tyre. I am doing a conversion from tube and have a 29er. Please any help would be graet

will work fine but maybe add some liquid latex to thin mixture abit

I also use about 90ml in a 2.3 29er tyre. Makes a nice gentle sloshing sound when spinning the wheel...

Tyre and rim width affect the surface area over which the sealant is spread. So wider tyres require more sealant. There are some vague guidelines on the Stans bottles iirc.

How much is too much? Dunno, apart from the extra weight thing, there could also be some interesting physics effects due to the inertia of the free liquid inside a rotating body. If you take it to extremes.

50 - 100ml in each wheel - 29er with crests and Vittoria 2.2 tyres (Barzo and Saguaro)

Cleaned at least every 3-4months and new fluid added - use the Ryder Fluid (White stuff with the black particles in it)

I have not had to stop for any holes yet but have had to slow down just a bit so it seals before hammering on...

• 4 months later...

I use 120ml per tyre (29x2.4"). Couple of grams extra isn't gonna kill anyone, but you won't get punctures.

My last 2 rides, I suffered a puncture on each ride. Finally decided to drive to CWC and get some Stan's and a couple bombs as back up. I took the tyres of the rim, and found the old sealant had completely dried up... :blush: 

I put about 120ml per tyre, and dropped a gator into the cut from the last flat. I checked earlier today on my way out the door, and the tyre was still holding well. Tomorrow will be the litmus test, but for me, lesson learnt.

I will be checking sealant every 3 months from now on.

Only thing to remember about sealant i that it works best when it's inside your tyres.

Having 40ml in your tyre and a bottle of the stuff in your cupboard ain't much use.

A few grams of extra sealant ain't muc compared to the weight of your bike as you carry/push it home with a flat....

I guess that I put about 3 of those little Stans bottles per wheel (buy in bulk and use the little bottle to put it in through the valve).

And keep it topped up, yes that too :)

As much as you feel like

But a good rule of thumb is to take the Doppie of your wifes bottle of spray and cook , then throw two doppies worth of sealent in a 29er tyre.