[Event] Swartland MTB

Swartland MTB

Ek en twee vriende kom doen die 20... :blush:

en ekke! biggrin.gif in vir die...wel 40....hmm nee wag 45 of is dit nou 47..oooja dewald het gese dis 43km!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

....die laaste 500m lyn toe is etter, voel amper of jy kloofnek uit moet trap!!!

yup DIT kan jy wee se!biggrin.gif

en ekke! biggrin.gif in vir die...wel 40....hmm nee wag 45 of is dit nou 47..oooja dewald het gese dis 43km!

:lol: ja Helloise, met jou spedometer sal mens nooit weet nie!

Het die race laas jaar gedoen(75km, 2de) in stromende reen(halfpad op gehou) baie lekker roete veral as jy deur die graan lande ry agter die stickers an...jy klim koringberg 2keer van verskillende kante af. die race vergelyk goed met die 60km van burger...nie baie tegnies nie maar hy sal jou vreet as jy te veel energie voor die 2de keer koringberg gemors het, nadat jy berg af deur koringberg dorp ry kan jy maar laat lees, dan is dit rolling hills huistoe...die laaste 500m lyn toe is etter, voel amper of jy kloofnek uit moet trap!!! enjoy, well org. race! :thumbup:

Jy het omtrent verander in 'n mtbr! Nou is jy gevaarlik op die pad en in die berg :thumbup:

Lekker race gewees die klimme was bietjie meer as wat gedink het. Garmin gee 893m klim vir die 40km ipv die 650km op die site. Paar etter klimme teen die einde!

Lekker race gewees die klimme was bietjie meer as wat gedink het. Garmin gee 893m klim vir die 40km ipv die 650km op die site. Paar etter klimme teen die einde!

Het ook die 40km vdag gedoen. Nogal taai met 900m se klim. Was net teleurgesteld in die merk van die roete. Het niks minder as 5keer verkeerd gery. Die gemeenskap is great en gasvry. As hul die merkery kan uitsort sal dit 'n skitter race wees

Het ook die 40km vdag gedoen. Nogal taai met 900m se klim. Was net teleurgesteld in die merk van die roete. Het niks minder as 5keer verkeerd gery. Die gemeenskap is great en gasvry. As hul die merkery kan uitsort sal dit 'n skitter race wees

Also got 900m climbing in 38.5km and also went the wrong way a good few times... and sometimes even when there was an arrow it was unclear where it was pointing because a number of times we actually did go through long grass, so I was never sure. But a great ride...

This was no easy ride! The headwind was unkind and route marking especially on the first half made it feel like an orienteering challenge. Fortunately the riders in my group seemed to know where they were going, so I simply followed. Soon we were on Koringberg. The climb was not overly technical and the 40km race snakes soon caught the mid pack 70km riders. We let them get on with their race. The descent down Koringberg was quite something. While we snaked up we went straight down the other side onto water point 1. The next section took us over rolling hills for 30kms and soon we were back at the same water point to approach Koringberg from another angle. By now the pace was well down and we were all looking after our legs for the last stretch. Again we were faced with a death descent down Koringberg and rollers for another 15kms into a nasty headwind.

On about 1:30pm I noticed that the PPA was packing up the timing equipment and heading home. I still noticed riders about 10km off when I was on my way back to Cape Town at 2pm. I am concerned about this as this happens just too often. Surely if PPA sanctions a race, they need to sweep the route to ensure that all riders are taken care of.

I ended up with 1580m climbing over 67km. With the 20% extra on the climbs, we really were made to work for the finishers medal. Pity some riders would not get one.

Edited by MorewoodMad

Great event!

Marking was shite, especially while it was still foggy. And, next time they should mark these two poles at the bridge! Sorry for the guy who crashed in there in the 70 k race.

Stunning scenery out there and attractive course. Just these two long steep climbs were not to exciting ;-)

When I read the info about this ride I thought 4h30 cut off for 70km was a bit tight... Especially if the route is tough...which it appears to be... fail by PPA and the organisers... Makes me happy I'm not a PPA member anymore

It was me who hit that unsuspecting pole in the middle of the narrowing road, while we were near the beginning and still bunched. Got back on the bike after checking self for anything broken, fortunately just a battered with roasties.

Enjoyed the rest of route especially those terrifying downhills and climbs. In the end, it was quite an eventful day. Crashed once, wrong turn twice and waiting for what seemed like thousands of sheep to be herded though a gate that I needed to pass though. Ppa seemed to pay less attention because of the events size, maybe we should expect less of them and just use ppa as a bicycle computer?

I did the short route and got lost a couple of times and what i heard from the other riders its the same story.

Weet nie of ek weer sal terug gaan vir dit nie.

Moenie glo nie!! Daardie klein bult aan die einde is n bliksem!!

You're words came back to haunt me! Het woes afgetjop op daai laaste paar "bultjies"!

Really enjoyed the 40km, thought it was a very challenging route without being overly difficult. Never got lost myself but saw a few okes in front of me getting back on the route after getting lost so I guess the criticism on the lack of route markings is fair. My only gripe is that I would have liked a water point on top of Koringberg after that hectic climb, the single waterpoint on 30kms seemed a bit like a wasted afterthought. But again, overall very enjoyable and would do it again.

Really enjoyed the 40km.

This event again rates as one of my "must do" races on the calendar. Judging by the number of cars and the results out on Racetec, this event has more than doubled in two years.

Very well organised. Beautiful setting. Good mix of terrain. Fantastic "plattelandse" hospitality. I didn't have any problems with the route markers.

Hopefully it will be staged again next year.

I had 900m of climbing and distance of 38.5km according to my Polar.

Edited by flymango

I second the vote for a water point at the top of Koringberg. Not only becasue of the climb, but it would have justified the 5 minutes I spent taking in the views - spectacular!

All in all, thanks to everyone that had a hand in putting the event together. A few niggles here and there but overall nothing to stop me coming back. I'll definately be back in fact - I've got a score to settle with Mt Koringberg :rolleyes:

Got home in just under 3 hours which was my target so I'm pretty happy (although my knees are telling me different).

G

Edited by Dubber