Suspension Question

TNT1

He should be faster on a full rigid bike but his body will be in pain.

OMG you talking about doing something like the Crater cruise maybe ?

Besides providing obvious comfort to the rider, suspensions improve both safety and efficiency by keeping one or both wheels in contact with the ground and allowing the rider's body mass to move over the ground in a flatter trajectory.

I started XCO mtbking on a fully rigid bike i.e. rigid fork n all, followed by a hardtail and then dual suspension.

I guess in Mamparas world I learnt to choose my lines wisely first.....

For me the biggest improvement was basically comfort or more importantly less fatigue/pain from the constant pounding.

Suspension also improves handling due to better traction over obstacles that a normally rigid framed bike would bounce off / over. As a result a mtb with suspension should out perform a rigid bike under equal conditions.

In order of importance I would put front suspension before rear.

You dont see any rigid bikes racing nowadays, but there are still plenty of hardtails out there.

Suspension makes you faster. The idea of racing is to win. So suspension will help you to win :-)

Yo! Paternal Ursidae!

That does not really explain why 99% of the top XC riders/winners were/are still screaming around on hardtails (even if they are now 29'ers).

You are right in one respect though.."The idea of racing is to win."

On an MTB, is the suspension there for comfort or handling? Whether on a hardtail, or a full sus?

Dude! "On an MTB"...On a MTB??

Eish! but you are a Stirrer One, you.

Dude! "On an MTB"...On a MTB??

Eish! but you are a Stirrer One, you.

Suspension consist of the some or all of the following: Fork, shock, tires, your body, anything else?

So yes mostly on a MTB but roadbikes also has some suspension - frame flex, body, tires

Suspension consist of the some or all of the following: Fork, shock, tires, your body, anything else?

So yes mostly on a MTB but roadbikes also has some suspension - frame flex, body, tires

post-20304-0-07338400-1308579024.jpg

It depends on the type of riding i reckon.

Smooth/easy jeep track or smooth/easy single track rigid would be good enough.

Suspension gives the bike (notice I say “bike”) the ability to handle more exciting riding.

I am not confused :-), but a firm believer and so say mr. fox36!

Peachy. :D:)

That just leaves me then.

Confused, that is.

That just leaves me then.

Confused, that is.

No, no, I'm right there with you.

It all depends on the type of riding. The more technical and rocky it becomes the more suspension will come into play and will it make you faster. Over-simplifying here but imagine a road bike vs a full susser on tar (equal weight) and again on a rocky trail. Suspension only makes you faster when it is being used.