Carte Blanche TV

nathrix

409 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been a victim in a bicycle hijacking incident?

• Yes, in Gauteng.
    • Yes, in Western Cape.
    • Yes, in Eastern or Northern Cape.
    • Yes, in the Free State.
    • Yes, in Kwazulu-Natal.
    • Yes, in Mpumalanga.
    • Yes, in Limpopo Province.
    • Yes, other (outside of SA).
    • Yes, in North West.
    • No.

I have also sent a tweet to Radio 702.

Hey partner, good to see you join The Hub and being as proactive as usual, we need our riding spots back :thumbup:

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that stands out with all the recent bike jackings,is that they are all well speced expensive bikes.

How do these guys know where and when the guys will be in a area and what is happening to these bikes?

Are the cyclists followed from home or is it just luck that they get expensive bikes.

Most of us carry our bikes on bike racks in the back of cars, it takes a few kilometers and all your specs are knows to the criminals and other bike enthusiasts...

the reason high end bikes seem to be getting taken is probably due to the fact that the high-end bikes are the ones being ridden, kinda logical isn't it?

not trying to spoil anyone's fun here but there is no "syndicate" targeting bikes here. there are opportunistic criminals who have cottoned on to the fact that mtb'ers are pretty easy targets. they tend to carry cellphone's, cash and are mostly in small groups, or by themselves. and of course they going to take the bikes, they not about to let you ride away for help while they walk away, they gonna ride the bikes away while you slowly walk away for help, and maybe they'll even get to sell the bikes on to someone for a couple of r100's.

About 2 years ago there were something like 9 attacks in the area between Irene and Olifantsfontein over a period of 3 months. It was quiet for a while.

In the last 2 1/2 months there have been at least 8 to 10 bikejackings or attempted bikejackings in roughly the same area.

This seems like a pretty big problem to me.

The worst of the earlier attacks was Sleeping Beauty who almost lost her life and still walks with a limp after 2 1/2 years.

So, despite what Le Turbo thinks, there IS a MAJOR PROBLEM.

Even though I have not been bikejacked, I personally know of someone close,(friend, relative, club member) who has and I am sure everyone knows of at least 1 person close to them that also has.

I am sure everyone knows of at least 1 person close to them that also has.

Not me. I mean I've heard of people getting jacked, but not any I know personally.

Could be Gummi, on Saturday they left Nathrix's Morewood.......(tongue firmly in cheek)

Seriously though, most guys ride pretty expensive bikes nowadays.

The Morewood was too Faaaaaaaast for them! :blush:

I have merged Estern Cape with Northern Cape (Northern Cape had no votes thus far) and replaced Northern Cape with Free State.

What bothers me is I drive through Bloems main location 3 - 4 times a day and it's scary how many beautiful bikes I see riding their with a suspicious character on top of it, if it's bought/stolen or bikejacked is another question.

Just received an email from Suasan Comrie. If anyone has any ideas of where these stolen/hijacked bicycles are going, give her a shout. I have replied with a link to this thread. Thanks

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the email. We’re definitely aware of the problem of bike hijackings – although I had no idea they were so violent.

I think we have considered looking at this story before but our problem has always been that we have no idea where the bikes are going – are they being resold in SA or shipped out of SA?

If you have any leads we could follow I’d love to hear back from you.

Thanks,

Susan Comrie

Journalist: Carte Blanche

[t] +27 11 886 8899

[c] +27 83 700 3479

[f] +27 86 508 3201

http://www.mnet.co.za/Content/Documents/CB/CarteBlanche_email.gif

Same can be said about air travel. Not many has died in comparison of how many uses it.

so 15% of all bikes stolen is nothing to worry about? If 15% of all air travellers died all planes would have been grounded indefinitly.

i wouldn't say 15% of all bikes, just 15% of the people who responded to the poll; that's 181 members out of 403 active users.

also I notice the one of the poll choices changed from "no" to "no not yet", kinda biased isn't it?

Edited by EigerSA

eiger obviously its only respondends, thanks for pointing out the obvious lol. And results may obviously vary, on another site with 500 users you could have 50% of bikes stolen, its not a science. What this does however tell us is that of 181 hubbers 27 people lost their very expensive bikes due to violent and dangerous crime. And thats insanely high.

15% is pretty rough!

The good news is that no deaths have been reported and serious injuries seem to be the exception rather than the norm.

Nathrix - awesome initiative on contacting the media. The more awareness the better - this really is the type of story that Carte Blanche will pick up - strong human flavour.

Sad that hijacking is something we even have to consider when jumping on our bikes...

i get your point covie, and you're right, 27 out of 181 is still 27 too many. i just feel that working with the community and police will go far further to improve the situation than carte-blanche will, and in all honesty, they don't really help much in most situations anyway.

Nathrix - awesome initiative on contacting the media. The more awareness the better - this really is the type of story that Carte Blanche will pick up - strong human flavour.

:thumbup:

Agreed.