Carte Blanche TV

nathrix

409 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been a victim in a bicycle hijacking incident?

• Yes, in Gauteng.
    • Yes, in Western Cape.
    • Yes, in Eastern or Northern Cape.
    • Yes, in the Free State.
    • Yes, in Kwazulu-Natal.
    • Yes, in Mpumalanga.
    • Yes, in Limpopo Province.
    • Yes, other (outside of SA).
    • Yes, in North West.
    • No.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please contact Bonnie on 0825523444 and give her Micheal Knaicker's contact details or perhaps pm me and I will forward her the contact details.

Just heading into the garage to commence refitting my bike like this...

No I'm not being flippant about this whole issue, on the contrary I'm well pissed and suddenly have little compunction to get out and ride, but a little humour always helps....

admin: i posted up someting like this previously, but poor to no response.

Turn it around

Thanks - had a look at the site. Great initiative!

The Crowd Map option might be better suited here as we can customise categories as required and focus purely on cycling related incidents. It will also let us set up Twitter and RSS feeds to raise awareness within the cycling community. Open to suggestions...

I got the same mail from Carte Blanche and have replied

For those who dont think there is a syndicate, read on

My company phone is programmed to synchronize with our server at predetermined periods during the day and weekdays.

I got jacked 3 weeks ago just off Summit rd - R562, by the same 4 guys that nathrix reported yesterday in the same area. they took my phone as well

Whoever took my phone (wether it be some arb dude who bought it for R100 or someone else) put his SIM in the phone and synched it intentionally (or not) at 02h30 - after hours!

The next day all his contacts appeared in my Outlook folder on my laptop

The names are mostly of Muslim persuassion, there is a few international numbers of places in Lahore and then one called Boss

Digest that for a sec.

I will meet with Carte Blanch for sure to see if we can get deeper into this

I like this!!! Keep us posted... :thumbup:

I think its great to get this issue into the media but sadly Carte Blanche does not have the media presence its perceived to have - same as noseweek. Most of use do not have DSTV and/or don't watch such programmes.

Other problem I have with Cart Blanche, 3rd Degree, etc is that they are selling sensational news & fear and not the actual facts.

Then again some news (regardless of its level of accuracy) is better than no news and perhaps if this leads to only one arrest, or one less cyclist becoming a victim, then it was all worth it.

I think its great to get this issue into the media but sadly Carte Blanche does not have the media presence its perceived to have - same as noseweek. Most of use do not have DSTV and/or don't watch such programmes.

Other problem I have with Cart Blanche, 3rd Degree, etc is that they are selling sensational news & fear and not the actual facts.

Then again some news (regardless of its level of accuracy) is better than no news and perhaps if this leads to only one arrest, or one less cyclist becoming a victim, then it was all worth it.

:blink:

Most do have M-Net or DSTV.Carte Blanche has a huge following.Where do you get that its not watched??

The fact that it gets sensationalised is fantastic news and can only help in the fight against crime

Come On !!

Most do have M-Net or DSTV.Carte Blanche has a huge following.Where do you get that its not watched??

The fact that it gets sensationalised is fantastic news and can only help in the fight against crime

Come On !!

Everyone watch it before the Sunday night movie on mnet....and everyone I know own atleast Mnet

Come On !!

Everyone watch it before the Sunday night movie on mnet....and everyone I know own atleast Mnet

Well not everybody I know has MNET or DSTV, like me yet I live in one of the highest LSM suburbs in the country. Most of my friends that have DSTV only have it for the sport.

Also: "enjoys a local viewership of about 500 000 people every week" so thats about 15% of the white population in this country if we where to be bigots and assume only whites watch it or just over 1% of our official population. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carte_Blanche_(TV_series)

Just saying the current affairs programs are not has hard hitting for the general public but I will say they have their purpose.

Just saying the current affairs programs are not has hard hitting for the general public but I will say they have their purpose.

It's a much bigger impact and exposure than it has received till date.

What else do you suggest ?

I agree. Media often feeds from itself. A story that appears in a daily newspaper may be followed up by a radio station. A Carte Blanche story may serve as a catalyst for an feature follow-up by a weekend paper. You get the drift.

I take my hat off to the people on this thread - particularly the victims and near-victims - for taking this initiative.

Social media is great to use too. Even if you aren't into sharing your bowel movements, daily kids woes, what you're wearing, etc, it's a useful tool to obtain information as close to real-time as you're going to get.

Here's a proposal. Twitter users, what about using #bikejackingsa as a hash tag for reporting or RTing incidents?

Should have made my opinions more clear, Carte Blanche is not the silver bullet where hoping for and we need to admit it. But we should also not detract from its effectiveness if for the only the small segment of the population that watches it as it could have a cascade effect that could lead to more exposure in other forms of media.

I agree. Media often feeds from itself. A story that appears in a daily newspaper may be followed up by a radio station. A Carte Blanche story may serve as a catalyst for an feature follow-up by a weekend paper. You get the drift.

I take my hat off to the people on this thread - particularly the victims and near-victims - for taking this initiative.

+1

Social media is great to use too. Even if you aren't into sharing your bowel movements, daily kids woes, what you're wearing, etc, it's a useful tool to obtain information as close to real-time as you're going to get.

Here's a proposal. Twitter users, what about using #bikejackingsa as a hash tag for reporting or RTing incidents?

Nice idea.

Should have made my opinions more clear, Carte Blanche is not the silver bullet where hoping for and we need to admit it. But we should also not detract from its effectiveness if for the only the small segment of the population that watches it as it could have a cascade effect that could lead to more exposure in other forms of media.

Your opinions are still unclear.Try and be a little more enthusiastic about a good initiative.

Its better than a poke in the eye with a sharpe stick