Riding up single track in Tokai

david16v

Single track in Tokai  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ride the `downhill` and single track sections in Tokai?

• Yes - I ride down the `downhill` and Single tracks
    • Yes - I ride up the `downhill` and Single tracks
    • Yes - I ride up and down the `downhill` and Single tracks
    • Yes - I ride up and down the Single tracks and ONLY down on the `downhill`
    • No - I have no technical experience
    • No - Its too dangerous to ride up the `downhill` and Single track sections

Read again. You missed it. Several times, in fact.

Yes, there will be increased volume. But then, guess what? Maintenance will just have to increase. Wow! It's already increasing!

Surely... surely... yes! That means that the effect of more people on the trails has and is being realised. Hmmm...

Only so much maintenance can be done on a 10-20 year old trail before you cannot use it anymore! (Traffic 10 years ago < traffic today)

Thus new trails would need to be made!

For Example: The Pines are getting cut down, this leads to erosion, more dust/sand/rocks falling from up above onto the trails.

There is also only so much that can be done with a spade! I`m sure that after several days of constant wind & rain (storm) some trails (jeep track from the saddle to silvermine gate) will be unrideable as the trail could get washed away!

Has anybody seen the amount of rocks/stones accumulating on the lower trails from where the trees are missing?

Earth works machines would need to be called in & who would pay for this??

Or maybe, just maybe a hubber has a spare CAT machine to lend us? :blink:

At the end of the day, I pay my money to ride in Tokai.

If I must come and help repair trails then I expect a reduction in my Wild Card/Bike Permit cost!

Edited by david16v

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only so much maintenance can be done on a 10-20 year old trail before you cannot use it anymore! (Traffic 10 years ago < traffic today)

Thus new trails would need to be made!

For Example: The Pines are getting cut down, this leads to erosion, more dust/sand/rocks falling from up above onto the trails.

There is also only so much that can be done with a spade! I`m sure that after several days of constant wind & rain (storm) some trails (jeep track from the saddle to silvermine gate) will be unrideable as the trail could get washed away!

Has anybody seen the amount of rocks/stones accumulating on the lower trails from where the trees are missing?

Earth works machines would need to be called in & who would pay for this??

Or maybe, just maybe a hubber has a spare CAT machine to lend us? :blink:

At the end of the day, I pay my money to ride in Tokai.

If I must come and help repair trails then I expect a reduction in my Wild Card/Bike Permit cost!

All this is being catered for. We are looking for clay, to repair some of the sections that have been hit heavily by the erosion. Rocks & trees etc are moveable, given enough manpower. If a trail does become unrideable, then there will probably be an application for a new trail to be cut. One will not just be cut because we think it'll be lekker.

Yes, erosion is a problem. Yes, there might have to be new trails cut. But we are not there yet (cutting new trails) The existing trails are being maintained. And as for the machinery, I'm sure we can get some in sometime, if the parks approve it (unlikely).

And to top it all off, I think your last paragraph sums up your attitude quite neatly. You expect a discount based on your willingness to maintain trails. All the rest of us will GLADLY work the time free of charge. Mahala. For nada. And we will provide the meat & drink for after.

Why, You ask? Because we LOVE what we ride. And we want it to STAY. If we have to handle picks, shovels, spades, axes and saws to get it done, so be it.

Just don't expect to be welcome at a build/maintenance session with that sort of attitude.

@David16v

57% acknowledge that riding up the downhill is wrong.. what does that mean in your poll?

"If I must come and help repair trails then I expect a reduction in my Wild Card/Bike Permit cost!"

You keep repeating what has been confirmed countless times. The volunteers have been given ownership of the trails. You have never been asked to contribute financially to the maintenance because a portion of what you pay at the gate has gone into the trail. We have had an annual budget for repairs ever since the inception of the MTB loaded wild card system. Remember that Tokai is SANParks land.. -I mean, how could you forget, it has been said so many times- SANParks fund a nation pool for all their parks. It is their land after all.

So why, if there has always been budget, do the trails look the way they do?

Good question.. Some of the most basic, logical rules you would expect when entering anybodies property are being ignored. Rogue trails, tampering with trails, and unapproved diverts all contribute to the stand-off between Parks and the MTB community. If you enter someones house, do you move the sofa to where you think it will look good? I hope not, but if you are one of those people, the host might think twice before having another party.

Edited by Pain or Shine

I don't think that will happen - best you ride somewhere else where you can find better value for money.

@ Pain or Shine - it's actually 80% if you add up all the cats where they don't ride up the Downhill sections of ST.

Yes - I ride down the `downhill` and Single tracks (6 votes [15.00%])

Yes - I ride up and down the Single tracks and ONLY down on the `downhill` (23 votes [57.50%])

No - I have no technical experience (1 votes [2.50%])

No - Its too dangerous to ride up the `downhill` and Single track sections (2 votes [5.00%])

So - in conjunction with Pain or Shine...

David16v, what does that 80% tell you?

just to say it again...

And to top it all off, I think your last paragraph sums up your attitude quite neatly. You expect a discount based on your willingness to maintain trails. All the rest of us will GLADLY work the time free of charge. Mahala. For nada. And we will provide the meat & drink for after.

Why, You ask? Because we LOVE what we ride. And we want it to STAY. If we have to handle picks, shovels, spades, axes and saws to get it done, so be it.

Just don't expect to be welcome at a build/maintenance session with that sort of attitude.

It tells me that 80% of cyclists voting are all downhill riders!!

I don't make 'new' trails nor do I ride where I'm not meant to!

So carry on doing what u doing, I applause u for doing it for free!

Keep up ur good work.

No one is going to stop me from riding in Tokai.

In the bmx , dirt jump community there is a strong " no dig no ride" policy. Imagine what we could do in tokai if every rider donated one day of their time a year to maintenance. That would be about 15000 man hours! No JCB needed. You would be amazed what can be done with a spade and some motivation

Hmm im not a DH rider at all and i doubt most of the guys on here are , we are all MTBers that love to ride on Tokai and if SOME of us have to make it better for the rest so be it . Its happened the world over.

Your fee isn't just for the maintenance of the trails its for the rangers, the poor guy that has to clean up after ur lazy ass cant walk to the dustbin to drop his trash, for the water to wash ur bike. and the list goes on.

In the bmx , dirt jump community there is a strong " no dig no ride" policy. Imagine what we could do in tokai if every rider donated one day of their time a year to maintenance. That would be about 15000 man hours! No JCB needed. You would be amazed what can be done with a spade and some motivation

Now THAT would be awesome!

Seriously guy! I vote for you next election!!

Hmm im not a DH rider at all and i doubt most of the guys on here are , we are all MTBers that love to ride on Tokai and if SOME of us have to make it better for the rest so be it . Its happened the world over.

Your fee isn't just for the maintenance of the trails its for the rangers, the poor guy that has to clean up after ur lazy ass cant walk to the dustbin to drop his trash, for the water to wash ur bike. and the list goes on.

Neither am I... I ride a hardtail that tries VERY hard to be a bigger travel bike, but it'll always be a 100mm XC bike.

And yet I don't ride up the Downhill Only trails. It's wrong. I help build and maintain. Because I think it's right. I like to do my bit to keep the trails that I ride, rideable.

It's my way of giving back to the place that I ride. And I do it for nothing. For the gratification that I get weh I ride a section that I HAVE BUILT. With MY OWN HANDS.

There's my sweat in that trail. And I love it.

jeepers david.. no one said u cant ride at tokai. so why not really say what u wanted to with that attempted parting shot of yours..

And as for being a Dh rider, I recently did a dh race on my single speed hard tail with 170 mm forks. Does that count? And I won my class. ( Cos I was the only one. Ha ha good times)