Riding up single track in Tokai

david16v

Single track in Tokai  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ride the `downhill` and single track sections in Tokai?

• Yes - I ride down the `downhill` and Single tracks
    • Yes - I ride up the `downhill` and Single tracks
    • Yes - I ride up and down the `downhill` and Single tracks
    • Yes - I ride up and down the Single tracks and ONLY down on the `downhill`
    • No - I have no technical experience
    • No - Its too dangerous to ride up the `downhill` and Single track sections

Its funny that grb285 says in his topic about riding up 'downhill' routes that the riders coming up must give way to riders coming down.

However, the actual rule is that riders coming down must give way to riders coming up!!!

Plenty people here shoot their mouths off before they know the actual rules!!

Sometimes the law is an ass. Also the context there was the downhill runs. Nobody should be riding up those at any time. But then you knew that already.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its funny that grb285 says in his topic about riding up 'downhill' routes that the riders coming up must give way to riders coming down.

However, the actual rule is that riders coming down must give way to riders coming up!!!

the last line makes your post ironic. As Luke said, the context for grb285's statement is he is referring to DOWNHILL aka DH tracks only, not some general way down on non DH tracks. It's logical, not to mention safe.

What's ACTUALLY funny is that you still cease to realise what you're referring to, and how wrong you are!

DH Track is Down Hill ONLY. There's a reason it's called a DOWNHILL run. It's for going DOWN. Not up. Normal singletrack is bi directional (unless otherwise stipulated) and on those sections the uphill rider gets R.O.W.

Please. For your own sake. Stop confusing the 2. One is a Downhill specific bit of trail (singletrack) The other is bi-directional singletrack. The trick in identifying them is in the names. DH 1, 2, 3 & 4 are DOWNHILL singletrack sections, as is the top of VASBYT. That means NOBODY should be going up them. All the rest are bi-directional, and up has R.O.W.

the last line makes your post ironic. As Luke said, the context for grb285's statement is he is referring to DOWNHILL aka DH tracks only, not some general way down on non DH tracks. It's logical, not to mention safe.

+1.

If you can ride up a Downhill track, its not a real downhill track :P

Just kidding guys. What amazes me is that this matter can be resolved with perhaps having Tokai trails getting a proper website where the rules of the trail, maps and profiles, emergency contact numbers etc can be communicated to everyone. Then we wouldn't need stooopid polls like this one. I subscribe to IMBA rules where no rules are displayed (think Jonkershoek, Tokai, Majick Forest) and trails are more or less a mix and match affair. Other trails with clear directional sign boards makes life easy (Oak Valley, Welvanpas, Meerendal, Hillcrest, Kliprug, Lebanon etc) and where up and down riding happens on the same trail (Oak Valley black route, just before the A frame where you hit the same section of trail up and down) I again subscribe to IMBA rules.

Common sense should also prevail so if you see someone coming from the opposide direction on the trail, make sure you both understand who's going to do what, and when in doubt give way to the other rider.

Just kidding guys. What amazes me is that this matter can be resolved with perhaps having Tokai trails getting a proper website where the rules of the trail, maps and profiles, emergency contact numbers etc can be communicated to everyone. Then we wouldn't need stooopid polls like this one. I subscribe to IMBA rules where no rules are displayed (think Jonkershoek, Tokai, Majick Forest) and trails are more or less a mix and match affair. Other trails with clear directional sign boards makes life easy (Oak Valley, Welvanpas, Meerendal, Hillcrest, Kliprug, Lebanon etc) and where up and down riding happens on the same trail (Oak Valley black route, just before the A frame where you hit the same section of trail up and down) I again subscribe to IMBA rules.

Common sense should also prevail so if you see someone coming from the opposide direction on the trail, make sure you both understand who's going to do what, and when in doubt give way to the other rider.

100%... I think a website is actually on the go at the moment, so that might sort a couple of things out.

I'd like to see someone ride up the new downhill in Jonkershoek. ;) Or should I say 'try' to ride up the new downhill? :lol:

I also subscribe to IMBA rules but I usually still move out of the way if I'm going up a singletrack and I see someone coming down because it's easy enough for me to do. I've been wondering though, if this is the wrong thing to do - should one rather stick to the rules and not let others get the wrong idea and think you're obliged to move? :huh:

this matter can be resolved with perhaps having Tokai trails getting a proper website where the rules of the trail, maps and profiles, emergency contact numbers etc can be communicated to everyone. Then we wouldn't need stooopid polls like this one.

definitely, and signage too - make the rules explicit

I also subscribe to IMBA rules but I usually still move out of the way if I'm going up a singletrack and I see someone coming down because it's easy enough for me to do. I've been wondering though, if this is the wrong thing to do - should one rather stick to the rules and not let others get the wrong idea and think you're obliged to move? :huh:

I've been thinking about this too, but if trail owners communicate rules clearly, it becomes quite simple. I love thehub on days like this: Flogging a dead horse when there is a reasonably simple solution here.

Edited by MorewoodMad

I've been thinking about this too, but if trail owners communicate rules clearly, it becomes quite simple. I love thehub on days like this: Flogging a dead horse when there is a reasonably simple solution here.

+1

I think a good solution would be to have directional trails only. Some for uphill riding and others only for downhill riding. My reasoning is that some day there is gonna be a serious incident with the amount of people frequenting tokai these days. There is enough space to have uphill and downhill trails, like boulders can be marked as an uphill.

You can ride up the singletracks any time you like except that riders coming down have to give way to ascenders. This is standard and accepted worldwide.

+1 brother!. Totally correct, as per UCI rules, which can be downloaded off the net if anyone interested!.

GRB285, you impress me my man, as I was starting to think that only I knew that rule :P

Guys, don't get worked up. David16v was not part of the earlier thread with the same name. He is just stirring! If you want an outcome David16V, read the real thread started by grb285.

Actually, why did you start a new thread? All the relevant info is not here.

What suggestions do you have, let's hear it! Here is your chance, in public.

AS much as grb285 wold like to insist that riders descending single track need to yield for riders coming up, as this is the international standard, it also needs to be remembered that there is already a common practise in place at Tokai. And that is descending riders have the right of way! I'm sure most regular TOkai riders would agree that this is the way that it works there. What the hell are international norms anyway??

AS much as grb285 wold like to insist that riders descending single track need to yield for riders coming up, as this is the international standard, it also needs to be remembered that there is already a common practise in place at Tokai. And that is descending riders have the right of way!

thumbup1.gif

I'm sure most regular TOkai riders would agree that this is the way that it works there. What the hell are international norms anyway??

I tend to agree that Tokai needs it's own rules (but only if clearly displayed at the gate and trailheads).

For those descending singletracks at speed there is no time for the 'international norms', as charming as tinkling our bells and issuing friendly waves might be.

That doesn't make sense. Isn't this the same set of rules that requires us to use bells? I recall this being discussed ad nauseum on another thread.

I agree - ascenders must absolutely give way to descenders. If i'm ripping down a singletrack it's much harder for me to change my line than someone crawling up it in their granny gear.

Why would or should Tokai's rules be any different to anywhere else in the world? So now if someone from elsewhere rides it's all about face because IMBA rules are thought be a thumbsuck ... man, just stick to logic, reading the IMBA post by DJR it really is a level headed approach.

As has been mentioned;

- Site with a trail map

- Directional trail

- DH only runs, which is just that. Down Hill only!

- Signage for the above.

That should be it. Straightforward enough.

Mind you, the whole concept of rules and regulations etc is very much the anti thesis of mountain biking to me. However, it's necessary in places like Tokai since so many sure the trails, bloody naaaaiice trails at that. :)