Riding up single track in Tokai

david16v

Single track in Tokai  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ride the `downhill` and single track sections in Tokai?

• Yes - I ride down the `downhill` and Single tracks
    • Yes - I ride up the `downhill` and Single tracks
    • Yes - I ride up and down the `downhill` and Single tracks
    • Yes - I ride up and down the Single tracks and ONLY down on the `downhill`
    • No - I have no technical experience
    • No - Its too dangerous to ride up the `downhill` and Single track sections

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Post updated!

Please just keep it simple by choosing an answer.

Keep posts to a minimum as there are enough options available.

Would like to see how many cyclists (if voted honestly) are riding on the `more` technical trails which need more maintenance.

David, I don't see the validity of your last point there (in bold)

All the singletrack sections are in need of maintenance, not just the DH sections.

I'm willing to bet that EVERYONE rides at least one bit of singletrack in Tokai. You yourself ride Faerie Garden, which was worked on this weekend... That section is classed as Singletrack ie: it is singular in character, having only one track through the forest.

Some trails need more maintenance than others, yes. This does not directly correlate to their level of difficulty though.

Why not a choice of No I have never ridden in Tokai??

Inus,....Inus,....Inus,....if I lived in Somerset West,I would make a plan, even if I have to ride my roadbike with the mountainbike strapped to my back, just to get to the start of Tokai. I refuse to kill my Nevegals with too much tar.

This trail is classed as singletrack, so riders are allowed to ride up it as well, and you coming down will need to yield for them. This means moving off the path. It's tricky on sections of this trail, so I see your point there.

Yeah, quite tricky! Kinda like the road into Die Hel... only space for 1 car. Until someone needs to pass you coming the other way!

Inus,....Inus,....Inus,....if I lived in Somerset West,I would make a plan, even if I have to ride my roadbike with the mountainbike strapped to my back, just to get to the start of Tokai. I refuse to kill my Nevegals with too much tar.

Amen, brother. Amen.

Perhaps we should make it even easier.

Rules of the Trail

IMBA developed the "Rules of the Trail" to promote responsible and courteous conduct on shared-use trails. Keep in mind that conventions for yielding and passing may vary in different locations, or with traffic conditions.

1.Ride Open Trails: Respect trail and road closures — ask a land manager for clarification if you are uncertain about the status of a trail. Do not trespass on private land. Obtain permits or other authorization as required. Be aware that bicycles are not permitted in areas protected as state or federal Wilderness.

2.Leave No Trace: Be sensitive to the dirt beneath you. Wet and muddy trails are more vulnerable to damage than dry ones. When the trail is soft, consider other riding options. This also means staying on existing trails and not creating new ones. Don't cut switchbacks. Be sure to pack out at least as much as you pack in.

3.Control Your Bicycle: Inattention for even a moment could put yourself and others at risk. Obey all bicycle speed regulations and recommendations, and ride within your limits.

4.Yield Appropriately: Do your utmost to let your fellow trail users know you're coming — a friendly greeting or bell ring are good methods. Try to anticipate other trail users as you ride around corners. Bicyclists should yield to other non-motorized trail users, unless the trail is clearly signed for bike-only travel. Bicyclists traveling downhill should yield to ones headed uphill, unless the trail is clearly signed for one-way or downhill-only traffic. In general, strive to make each pass a safe and courteous one.

5.Never Scare Animals: Animals are easily startled by an unannounced approach, a sudden movement or a loud noise. Give animals enough room and time to adjust to you. When passing horses, use special care and follow directions from the horseback riders (ask if uncertain). Running cattle and disturbing wildlife are serious offenses.

6.Plan Ahead: Know your equipment, your ability and the area in which you are riding and prepare accordingly. Strive to be self-sufficient: keep your equipment in good repair and carry necessary supplies for changes in weather or other conditions. Always wear a helmet and appropriate safety gear.

Simple, really.

don't forget your bells

See what you did there? Descenders yield for ascenders. Don't try to confuse things.

I'm not, I think this is a dangerous and outdated rule. On the downhill runs you rightly request that nobody even use them in the upwards direction, yet on singletracks, some of which are almost as technical, guys coming down and around blind corners at 30-40km/h must yield to riders going up? Dangerous and illogical in my opinion.

Why not a choice of No I have never ridden in Tokai??

Let me know when you want to go, I will show you a short-cut to Tokai ;)

I'm not, I think this is a dangerous and outdated rule. On the downhill runs you rightly request that nobody even use them in the upwards direction, yet on singletracks, some of which are almost as technical, guys coming down and around blind corners at 30-40km/h must yield to riders going up? Dangerous and illogical in my opinion.

I didn't make the rules, but if people don't follow one set of rules then there's more problems than good.

It's always been that way, butIf you are reasonable you'll see most people give way to each other.

I don't think any of the singletracks are as technical as the DH runs. I'm trying to think of one but for the life of me I can't. Care to say which you think are?

Only 1 trail I can think of that's as demanding (in terms of concentration) as the DH runs - the Switchbacks / Bridal path. That place be rocky, man! And you don't wanna put a tyre wrong there!

Its funny that grb285 says in his topic about riding up 'downhill' routes that the riders coming up must give way to riders coming down.

However, the actual rule is that riders coming down must give way to riders coming up!!!

Plenty people here shoot their mouths off before they know the actual rules!!

Oh, I'm getting tired of this, but I'll try 1 more time:

Bicyclists traveling downhill should yield to ones headed uphill,

That is all the usual singletrack and you can ride it up or down, but the guy going up has right of way. These have names like Mamba, Cobra, My Roots...

unless the trail is clearly signed for one-way or downhill-only traffic

Those are the "downhill tracks", they are called that for a reason, At the start of each it says something like "DOWNHILL 1/2/3.." On those the beefy dude on his beefy bike barreling down have right of way (he'll flatten you if you ride up these and you don't get off the trail).

Pleeeeaaase, tell me you all understand now!

On a downhill track the downhill rider has right of way. On other tracks the rider coming up has right of way. Because they are too busy staring at their front wheel to see the guys coming down.

I didn't make the rules, but if people don't follow one set of rules then there's more problems than good.

It's always been that way, butIf you are reasonable you'll see most people give way to each other.

I don't think any of the singletracks are as technical as the DH runs. I'm trying to think of one but for the life of me I can't. Care to say which you think are?

Yes, I agree there should be a set of rules backed up by signage. Better to have some rules, even ones I don't agree with, than no rules at all.

I think most of the singletracks - particularly at Tokai which is very much an up or down sort of place to ride - are not conducive - particularly when ridden fast - to giving way on the way down - not out of selfishness - purely as a safety precaution. Vasbyt is one example of where blind corners and a steep berm don't allow for riding fast AND giving way to riders coming up.