Etiquette for joining a peloton on the road

Skidmark

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when cycling on the road: wear as much white clothing as you can find, im 95% sure it makes you go double your normal speed. :lol:

The correct procedure is to first make sure all the logo's on your water bottles are facing to the same side as you slowly drift up to a few bike lengths from the last guy in the line. Secondly, ensure that your socks are the correct height as specified in the Euro-pro handbook. Then, as you drift into the pace-line, reach out with your left hand and gently touch the guy on the right hip/buttock so as to indicate that he is crossing over into your line; and that he, not you, should adjust accordingly. If he gives you the "evil eye" take it as a sign of his admiration and respect for your Euro-pro technique.

Ride past him and repeat the procedure until you are at the front of the line. Ignore the verbal abuse along the way. They are just testing you. Begin to accelerate until you are full gas! Keep full gas for at least 1km, then raise your right hand up as you slowly pull off to the left and as the pace-line guns past you pull out your cellphone and answer in an Italian accent. When they all turn to stare at you smile apologetically so they understand you will be unable to continue leading them. Point to the cellphone and mention an Italian sounding woman's name. Wipe the spit from your expensive Euro-pro sunglasses.

You forget to mention that you have to wear a moffie cap underneath your helmet. And if you can, get yourself some lycra booties, even if it is just a training ride.

On the other hand if you ride a 60K + bike you dont have to ask anything, they will just know........

The correct procedure is to first make sure all the logo's on your water bottles are facing to the same side as you slowly drift up to a few bike lengths from the last guy in the line. Secondly, ensure that your socks are the correct height as specified in the Euro-pro handbook. Then, as you drift into the pace-line, reach out with your left hand and gently touch the guy on the right hip/buttock so as to indicate that he is crossing over into your line; and that he, not you, should adjust accordingly. If he gives you the "evil eye" take it as a sign of his admiration and respect for your Euro-pro technique.

Ride past him and repeat the procedure until you are at the front of the line. Ignore the verbal abuse along the way. They are just testing you. Begin to accelerate until you are full gas! Keep full gas for at least 1km, then raise your right hand up as you slowly pull off to the left and as the pace-line guns past you pull out your cellphone and answer in an Italian accent. When they all turn to stare at you smile apologetically so they understand you will be unable to continue leading them. Point to the cellphone and mention an Italian sounding woman's name. Wipe the spit from your expensive Euro-pro sunglasses.

NICE!!! I take it you are a member of OREC: The Official Rules of the Euro Cyclist...LOVE that page!!!

https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2258201150

Introduce yourself, find out how far/fast they are going, ask to/state intention to hang at the back. Just be a human being ;)

You are not going to join a game of touch / soccer without introducing yourself, asking to play with, are you?

^^^^^^^^ what he said... :thumbup:

As long as you don't drop them on your full sus MTB clad in big fat nobbly tyres, I can't see them minding if you act like a human being and introduce yourself to the group.

Even roadies are people. At least so I am told.

:lol: :lol:

Rule Number 5 ...for you sir.

Anonymous does not forgive, Anonymous does not forget.

Personally I prefer rule #34 and #35.

You say nothing and wheelsuck for a while then you stir up the pot with a spoon of competition. Nothing gets you more streetcred then a cog measurement competition ,if you are the strongest then you will feel like a king ,if you blow out then they don't know your name.

You forget to mention that you have to wear a moffie cap underneath your helmet. And if you can, get yourself some lycra booties, even if it is just a training ride.

Aaah lycra booties for road races, jummy!! :drool: