Which frame?

BernardG

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got myself a GT Zaskar Pro 29. Alu frame, Fox F29 FiT RLC 15mm, full XT, DT Swiss rims. Going for R20K.

GT is also an option.

Try Kiwi for an On One Scandal frame, excellent geometry ( best 29er frame for 2010)about 1.6kg, good rear tyre clearance which was a problem on my Gt pro 29er, more plush than pure alu frames, only R3500, very very happy with mine.

I have a set of 29er wheels Mavic N719 ( tubeless converted just under 2kg) very strong, XT hubs with 15mm through axle and brass nipples ( stronger)you can have them for R1700. Now you've only spent R5200 and well on your way to an excellent bike. I'd get Fox 29er shock ( as Eldron stated)Groupset and brakes are up to you. Good luck

Edited by D Vader

Try Kiwi for an On One Scandal frame, excellent geometry ( best 29er frame for 2010)about 1.6kg, good rear tyre clearance which was a problem on my Gt pro 29er, more plush than pure alu frames, only R3500, very very happy with mine.

I have a set of 29er wheels Mavic N719 ( tubeless converted just under 2kg) very strong, XT hubs with 15mm through axle and brass nipples ( stronger)you can have them for R1700. Now you've only spent R5200 and well on your way to an excellent bike. I'd get Fox 29er shock ( as Eldron stated)Groupset and brakes are up to you. Good luck

GT and On One are also both good recommendations in the bang for buck category.

Personally I found the On One a bit "dead". That doesn't mean it's faster or slower than anything else I've ridden and I have no scientific basis for what I felt I just didn't like it. It felt like the frame was fighting against me rather than working for me. Crazy comment I know but my opinion.

GT and On One are also both good recommendations in the bang for buck category.

Personally I found the On One a bit "dead". That doesn't mean it's faster or slower than anything else I've ridden and I have no scientific basis for what I felt I just didn't like it. It felt like the frame was fighting against me rather than working for me. Crazy comment I know but my opinion.

Cool. Thanks for all the advice. I will look at the On one, as that is cheap for a frame!

But I love a Giant, have had a few Giant Road Bikes. So what did you full XT, with AC wheels cost you? How much over 20k? :thumbup:

I got myself a GT Zaskar Pro 29. Alu frame, Fox F29 FiT RLC 15mm, full XT, DT Swiss rims. Going for R20K.

GT is also an option.

That sounds good as well! Must say, where did you buy it from?

Can you pm me a pic or post it here? :D

Try the Santa Cruz Highball................ Don't think many people know about it. Their Duel Sus bikes are awesome so can't see their 29er being bad.

Had a look at this frame today in this colour stunning but dont know what price was

Had a look at this frame today in this colour stunning but dont know what price was

Mike's Bikes has one at around 15K hanging on the wall

Mike's Bikes has one at around 15K hanging on the wall

Yes there are 2 there now thats where I saw them

I have a Bulls Copperhead and am very happy with it. I have put X-0 on it and it is pefect. Very happy. Great frames.

Morwoodkid,

When will these Kwela 29er's be available? I was searching for a frame.....but it's like hens teeth! My LBS

told me the frames are still in production....and will only be available from August 2011. Awesome looking bike!

Cool. Thanks for all the advice. I will look at the On one, as that is cheap for a frame!

But I love a Giant, have had a few Giant Road Bikes. So what did you full XT, with AC wheels cost you? How much over 20k? :thumbup:

Tough to say - I used most of the components off the stock XTC on my SS and replaced them with a combination of 10spd XT I had and stuff that was swapped by the LBS from SLX to XT... The wheels came off my Niner Air 9... No ideas on price I'm afraid...

I see there is an XTC for sale:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/7679-giant-xtc1-29er-upgraded-reduced-price/

R16,900 - not a bad price. Not sure if it's 9 or 10 speed. I'd guess 9 - frame is a 2010 model. Are you a large?

I have the copperhead and am very happy with it. The geometry is the same as the Niner frames and it is good value for money. Weight wise it is not the lightest (1750 or so with headset) but only marginally heavier (150g or so) than the giant or the scott.

I had a niner air 9 but broke it after 3 months. It was a little more plush than the bulls bike....

There is no ways that the Bulls frame geometry is the same as the Niner. In fact, they've gone with a different approach than most of the other manufacturers - shorter HTT lengths with longer chain stay lengths.

Bulls CopperHead 29 (L)

Horizontal Top Tube Length = 615mm

Chain Stay Length = 460mm

Head Tube Angle = 71.5deg

Niner Air9 (L)

Horizontal Top Tube Length = 622mm

Chain Stay Length = 445mm

Head Tube Angle = 72deg