Vuelta a Espana 2012: 18 August - 09 September

'Dale

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, with you there. Say what you like about the man, he is never scared to go out and give it stick, makes for super viewing and as you say, that to me as well, is what pro bike racing is all about.

Cycling without Contador is like Star Wars without Darth Vader...

I read that Froome Dog and Sky continued at pace in crosswinds when GC leader Valverde crashed.

Hmm.... Not cool.

Two sides to a coin, from cyclingnews:

“They didn’t have the balls to stop, they chose an unsporting way,” Valverde said of Sky at the finish. “Now I’m going to go and talk with them, because this isn’t cycling. I’m not annoyed about losing the overall lead but you have to be more sporting.”

Sky’s Juan Antonio Flecha was on the front when Valverde fell but he claimed that he was not aware that the red jersey had hit the deck. “Nobody told me to stop and I only heard later that Valverde had fallen,” he said.

Yeah, Valverde is one of the local heroes racing for a local team in Spain.

Not good rep for the British outfit.

Yeah, Valverde is one of the local heroes racing for a local team in Spain.

Not good rep for the British outfit.

Sky will do anything to get froome a win

Piss poor tactics from Sky in my opinion and they are taking a lot of flack for it, rightly so as well.

Portal says he didnt know Valverde had fallen............pull the other one Nicolas, any 10 year old with a mobile phone could see who was in the crash.

I see eventually Movistar sport director pulled up alongside Portal's car and had some choice words with Portal accusing them of unsporting behavior by accelerating when the race leader is on the floor, he also accused them of causing the crash.

I doubt Sky will get any further favors in this event now.

Piss poor tactics from Sky in my opinion and they are taking a lot of flack for it, rightly so as well.

Portal says he didnt know Valverde had fallen............pull the other one Nicolas, any 10 year old with a mobile phone could see who was in the crash.

I see eventually Movistar sport director pulled up alongside Portal's car and had some choice words with Portal accusing them of unsporting behavior by accelerating when the race leader is on the floor, he also accused them of causing the crash.

I doubt Sky will get any further favors in this event now.

Apparently Valverde himself went to confront Sky: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/valverde-accuses-sky-of-provoking-vuelta-crash

Everyone thought Sky (and Wiggins) were such heroes when they waited for Cadel in the Tour, but Cadel was no longer a threat at that stage so it wasn't a tough decision really. I wondered whether they would've waited for him had he still been in the running at that stage. I guess now we know...

Everyone thought Sky (and Wiggins) were such heroes when they waited for Cadel in the Tour, but Cadel was no longer a threat at that stage so it wasn't a tough decision really. I wondered whether they would've waited for him had he still been in the running at that stage. I guess now we know...

To be fair Wiggo wasn't there yesterday, Froome is running things. Team leader needs to call the shots.

To be fair Wiggo wasn't there yesterday, Froome is running things. Team leader needs to call the shots.

The race director would call the tactical shots, TZmtb.

The man that speaks into Froome Dog's ears...

The race director has access to all the race information from the audio of the race commissaire to a tv in the car...

Froome didnt do anything wrong. His DS gave the instructions - but its pro cycling and i would've done the same

Good for him, it was a blatent unsporting action and I cant see how they can justify it any which way.

For anyone else I would agree, but in 2009 Valverde did exactly the same to Cadel Evans after Evans punctured. Valverde took full advantage of the fact and attacked. He went on to win the Vuelta.