Vuelta a Espana 2012: 18 August - 09 September

'Dale

A different perspective of Sky's actions yesterday....

http://www.cyclingne...verde-crash-row

and this is coming from ex Spanish pro's.

Ja nice one. Unfair all these comments from the peanut gallary - the sky boys had already formed the echelon and were on the attack before the fall - using the strength of their team to shake things up. To give up this strategic advantage and sit up because a chap with honestly very little chance of being a contender in week 3 didn't position himself correctly when the peleton come under some pressure makes no sense if we really are encouraging hard racing as we seem to have purported earlier. As others have stated the wiggins / tacks issue was totally different.

With respect I'll take the opinion of retired Spanish tour racers over the hubber "experts" any day (until they disagree with me of course haha).

Edited by dracs

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah.

Especially the multiple GT winner. :ph34r:

well he's coped well enough so far... once contador lost his wing man there were no thoughts of attacking Froome on the run in to the finish...

I am sorry if I step on someone here, but what makes the GC leader so special that everybody must wait for him when he falls, and not when someone else falls. When a bunch of GC contenders fell in the TdF this year, nobody waited for them.

I am sorry if I step on someone here, but what makes the GC leader so special that everybody must wait for him when he falls, and not when someone else falls. When a bunch of GC contenders fell in the TdF this year, nobody waited for them.

It is out of respect. You want to be the GC leader because you beat the best. Not because you capitalized on their bad luck.

Thus punctures and crashes and pee stops usually is respected by the competitors and they will wait for the GC rider to get back.

With respect I'll take the opinion of retired Spanish tour racers over the hubber "experts" any day (until they disagree with me of course haha).

Okay, I'll bite...........I'll disagree with you.

As Spinnekop said its out of respect, I see Rodriguez has gone on record saying he doesn't want the jersey as he feels the manner in which he received it is unfair.

Lets look back a little, remember when LA and Mayo fell, Hmmm, remember the peletons response - they waited. Lets remember Big Jan when he took a dive over an embankment and had to carry his bike back up, Hmmm, LA slowed the peleton and they waited.

The kicker is the jersey, I have never heard of the peleton attacking the jersey when he is on the ground before, its unheard of, I love Fletchers comments, no -one waited for me - Hmm Juan, sorry, but it seems you have difficulty understanding the question, you were not in the Jersey, actually you weren't even in the top 10, a world of difference.

As for the 8 Spanish Pro's, Edwardo Chozas??? Who?...... he was hardly in the same league as Valverde, same for Laiseko, however Oscar Pereiro who actually won something of note (the Tour) said Sky was wrong, - Hmmm, odd isnt it.?

I quite like Matt Keenan as a commentator and his comment yesterday "Hardly a nice way for Valverde to lose the jersey" speaks volumes.

So yeah, this peanut gallery disagrees. Sorry.

Tweet from Graham Watson this morning:

@grahamwatson10: Vuelta debate: I recall Evans' puncture in 2009 Vuelta - Valverde attacked; 2012 P-Nice, Leipheimer crashed on descent - Movistar attaced!

I suppose what goes around comes around - memories are long in the peleton!

A bit boring today I thought, "Round and Round the Mulberry Bush" came to mind, but, on the positive side John Degenkolb is certainly stamping his authority on the few sprint stages at the Vuelta this year, always nice to see the smaller teams get some glory.

A bit boring today I thought, "Round and Round the Mulberry Bush" came to mind, but, on the positive side John Degenkolb is certainly stamping his authority on the few sprint stages at the Vuelta this year, always nice to see the smaller teams get some glory.

Yeah, just watched the final bits.

Argos kicks azzz again. Nice exposure.

Also cool is the Orica Greenedge rider who claimed his first ever PRO victory.

The race reaches the Pyrenees today.

Puncheurs: RACE ON!

http://www.lavuelta.com/12/imgrecorrido/6_perfil.png

Edited by ' Dale

The race reaches the Pyrenees today.

Puncheurs: RACE ON!

Yeah, might be a day for the breakaway though.

I wonder if Valverde will chase to try get his jersey back,........dunno, the climbs might not be steep enough for him.

On the other hand Rodriguez will have a bit of a tussle on his hand if the breakaway gets pulled back and its a 'Berto / Froome / Rodriguez race to the top again, 5 secs over all three of them is nothing and with the time bonuses................! it would suit Rodriguez to let the break go.

Unless Valverde chases I think the breakaway MAY go away today.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Aplogies for the thread jack - watched the USA Pro Challenge/Colorado Stage 3 last night (on line) - was very exciting! Danielson soloed to a stage win.

http://www.cyclingfans.net/2012/images/2012_usa_pro_challenge_stage3_tom_danielson_wins1a.jpg

Details on cyclingfans.com

Aplogies for the thread jack - watched the USA Pro Challenge/Colorado Stage 3 last night (on line) - was very exciting! Danielson soloed to a stage win. Details on cyclingfans.com

Apparently he held off the chasers for quite some time!

Apparently he held off the chasers for quite some time!

Yes he had a big gap on peloton on the last big climb, a lead then of about 2 mins but made it to the finish line just in time as the pic shows.

It's George's last race as well.

Yes he had a big gap on peloton on the last big climb, a lead then of about 2 mins but made it to the finish line just in time as the pic shows. It's George's last race as well.

Great effort! Used to enjoy his column in procycling. Haven't read it for a while. Wonder if he still does it.

I think this rule of waiting for the race leader has changed lately. Not so long ago a certain Mr Contador also attacked when And Schleck lost his chain. Maybe a few years ago the main contenders had respect for each other, or enough confidence in their abbility to wait for the other contenders rather than attacking on their mishaps.

Aplogies for the thread jack - watched the USA Pro Challenge/Colorado Stage 3 last night (on line) - was very exciting! Danielson soloed to a stage win. http://www.cyclingfans.net/2012/images/2012_usa_pro_challenge_stage3_tom_danielson_wins1a.jpg Details on cyclingfans.com

high calibre field.

Didn't realize it was showing.

:mellow: