Vuelta a Espana 2012: 18 August - 09 September

'Dale

Okay, I'll bite...........I'll disagree with you.

As Spinnekop said its out of respect, I see Rodriguez has gone on record saying he doesn't want the jersey as he feels the manner in which he received it is unfair.

Lets look back a little, remember when LA and Mayo fell, Hmmm, remember the peletons response - they waited. Lets remember Big Jan when he took a dive over an embankment and had to carry his bike back up, Hmmm, LA slowed the peleton and they waited.

The kicker is the jersey, I have never heard of the peleton attacking the jersey when he is on the ground before, its unheard of, I love Fletchers comments, no -one waited for me - Hmm Juan, sorry, but it seems you have difficulty understanding the question, you were not in the Jersey, actually you weren't even in the top 10, a world of difference.

As for the 8 Spanish Pro's, Edwardo Chozas??? Who?...... he was hardly in the same league as Valverde, same for Laiseko, however Oscar Pereiro who actually won something of note (the Tour) said Sky was wrong, - Hmmm, odd isnt it.?

I quite like Matt Keenan as a commentator and his comment yesterday "Hardly a nice way for Valverde to lose the jersey" speaks volumes.

So yeah, this peanut gallery disagrees. Sorry.

haha no disrespect meant with the peanut comment - from one to another...

Anyway, I hear you on the jersey but I think the examples you mention were all serious contenders for those respective tours. I don't believe Valverde is a contender in the same way that contador is - I guess we will see if I am wrong on that after a week or 2... plus as others have pointed out he has hardly been the model of fair play himself so its all a little rich.

The thing that got me irritated was the assertion that they attacked because Valverde was on the ground - that is a joke. Do you really think he is the guy Sky are worried about? They had already created the echelon and had the hammer down when he fell. There are a lot more shades of grey (though less than 50) in the circumstance than you would like to suggest and I think the fact that so many ex pro's (not just the spaniards questioned in that article) have come out and said as much supports this view.

All that said, I'm sure in hind sight Sky would have sat up had they realised the stink... certainly not what they needed.

Edited by dracs

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, just watched the final bits.

Argos kicks azzz again. Nice exposure.

Also cool is the Orica Greenedge rider who claimed his first ever PRO victory.

Ja and he has some saffer connections too which is cool. He handled the much more experienced Tony Martin perfectly on the run in to the finish.

haha no disrespect meant with the peanut comment - from one to another...

All that said, I'm sure in hind sight Sky would have sat up had they realised the stink... certainly not what they needed.

:) -Naa, its cool, - Yes I agree, I think they would have sat up under normal circumstances, but I think they saw a chance to get Froome into the Jersey and they took it gambling no one would say anything, and if they did they could claim "they didnt know" - but it didnt work that way for them and unfortunately they stirred up a big hornets nest they didnt really expect. So in hindsight I agree, they would not have done it again.

In a way I understand their motivation, but I am a bit old school (with the emphasis on OLD :) ) and I like the old school protocol and respect of not so long ago contenders. I do understand, maybe, as someone else said, its all changed now and there's none of that amongst the new young crop of riders, I dont know, could be, but I still think it would be a big loss and that respect of each other as equals is still something to revere.

Well another great bit of racing, the climb was perfectly suited to Rodriguez and he made full use of it, to put himself firmly in the Jersey for now. Froome also rode a very clever race which almost reminded me of the old LA style of racing, he certainly also laid down the gauntlet to 'Berto that he is present and ready to race.

The long stages in the big mountains will require a different approach of course, but for now Froome looks like a man in control.

Well another great bit of racing, the climb was perfectly suited to Rodriguez and he made full use of it, to put himself firmly in the Jersey for now. Froome also rode a very clever race which almost reminded me of the old LA style of racing, he certainly also laid down the gauntlet to 'Berto that he is present and ready to race. The long stages in the big mountains will require a different approach of course, but for now Froome looks like a man in control.

How was that kick at the end!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed, gripping ending to the stage!

And, meanwhile, somewhere else on the PRO circuit, this legend takes a stage win at the US PRO Cycling CHallenge.

http://cdn1.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net//2012/08/24/1/12usapcstg4019_600.jpg

Froome looking good - just hope week 3 doesn't prove a bridge too far - those skinny legs have done a LOT of work lately! Nicely played by Rodriguez too.... Berto's steak a little underdone perhaps? :whistling:

How was that kick at the end!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed, gripping ending to the stage!

Yeah, Rodriguez has an incredible explosive turn of speed on these short steep climbs, perfectly suited to him.

I think he can feel a bit more comfortable in the jersey now, he was a little upset about how he inherited it initially and apparently even apologized to Valverde, but he is definatly a worthy wearer now.

Some rumors going round 'Berto said he was dehydrated, understandably possible in 38 degrees heat, but he should know better, he is not a new pro.

Froome looking good - just hope week 3 doesn't prove a bridge too far - those skinny legs have done a LOT of work lately! Nicely played by Rodriguez too.... Berto's steak a little underdone perhaps? :whistling:

I think Contador might be a little underdone In general this early in his season..

I really home he had a bad day and is will ride into form..

Some rumors going round 'Berto said he was dehydrated, understandably possible in 38 degrees heat, but he should know better, he is not a new pro.

Makes me think of the Lance "much to learn" dig after Contador's bonk in the Paris-Nice (I think...)

Purito better capitalize on the punchy climbs as Froome Dog and 'Berto are superior TT riders.