WOW or really stupid??

Dragu

Un-motorpaced, downhill, the record is around the 222km/h mark. Noob.

Personally, I've done 126km/h downhill into Sabie, behind our team car. The "ish" part is cause I had to overtake him and this was done in the days of toe-clips, cloth cap, and no cycle computer ;)

We was real cyclists then.

And the old guy says I'm a 'Hardcore Zealot' :unsure:

Edited by BigBen

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really stupid......

The other day I was coming home from work down Fields Hill (Comrades and Amashova Route) around 5:30 pm, saw this roadie dude flying down the hill, inbetween cars and overtaking trucks, nearly dark as well. I was doing 80 and couldnt catch him until half way down the hill. Also thought thats crazy but with a slightly more forceful adjective.

And the old guy says I'm a 'Hardcore Zealot' :unsure:

You know, in my day, we often couldn't make gearing changes for going up the hills. All we could do was push the saddle a little further back to lengthen the stroke.

These noobs. No wonder they need so much drugs, psuedo-science and crap like that.

I reckon the speed is there, or there abouts...

Firstly, the speedo on a car is not 100% accurate, and the bloke (in the car) was doing 95 at the end of the video, so it's safe to assume the real speed was about 85-90km/h.

Secondly, the signs on the side of the road read 800m to the turn off at 11 seconds on the video

The 500m turn off sign is at 24 seconds on the video, leaving a 13 second time lapse from 800m to 500m, that's 300m in 13 seconds.

300 / 13 = 23.07m/s

23.07 * 3600 (seconds in a hour) = 83076.92m/hour

83.07Km/h

And have you seen the milage on the car?? It's about 220424

OK, I finally watched the vid.

What's the question again? I have many, many times hooked a truck and gone over 100km/h.

Where I grew up, there was a particularly steep climb, followed by around 5-6km of gradual downhill. It was de rigeur to wait for a coal truck and then slam it back into town.

You okes are f*&kin noobs and worse, wankers for questioning this. Go and ride yer bikes.

I have seen a guy on Bottlary Rd in Cape Town surrounds do this behind a truck past my bunch and over the next hill.

It can be true the link you sent.

I could not believe how fast that rider drafted behind that truck over a long stretch of road.

:huh:

Easily possible. Go and try it, drafting is a rush. Doesn't sound like any of you have the balls to try it. Used to do it behind trucks on training rides out in Hekpoort over 20 years ago. Also done it on a mtb behind a truck on the tour d'urban route near umhlanga on the hiway, but that was only 80kmh for a few kms. Nerve racking

You can go do this any day you like on Hendrik Potgieter, typically you will get up to about 85km/h before being blown off...unless you can spin a big gear real fast :)

Hehehehehe! I know a certain local pro - he shall remain nameless - how got yanked over by the boys in blue for doing drafting at 100 on the Heidelberg road approaching Carnival City a little while back.

OK, I finally watched the vid.

What's the question again? I have many, many times hooked a truck and gone over 100km/h.

Where I grew up, there was a particularly steep climb, followed by around 5-6km of gradual downhill. It was de rigeur to wait for a coal truck and then slam it back into town.

You okes are f*&kin noobs and worse, wankers for questioning this. Go and ride yer bikes.

laugh.gif There should be an acronym for this: GRYB

Go ride your bikes, but faster this time. Behind a truck if it helps.

The difference between Belgian roads and ours of course, is that they are not full of potholes, trash and people (I use the term loosely) who don't know how to behave / drive...

I reckon the speed is there, or there abouts...

Firstly, the speedo on a car is not 100% accurate, and the bloke (in the car) was doing 95 at the end of the video, so it's safe to assume the real speed was about 85-90km/h.

Secondly, the signs on the side of the road read 800m to the turn off at 11 seconds on the video

The 500m turn off sign is at 24 seconds on the video, leaving a 13 second time lapse from 800m to 500m, that's 300m in 13 seconds.

300 / 13 = 23.07m/s

23.07 * 3600 (seconds in a hour) = 83076.92m/hour

83.07Km/h

And have you seen the milage on the car?? It's about 220424

It must be a very interesting place in your mind :clap:

Been there, done that. Couple of times!

Ask the school buss leaving Phalaborwa to Tzaneen as well as the bus leaving in the other direction, Hoedspruit.

Drafting is easy to get speeds over 100.....you kind off get sucked in behind the bus/truck.

R21 leaving Pretoria.....trucks are slow here....90 is the fastest I have gone heading out to Centurion.....

There are videos on Youtube of Theo Bos (some might remember him being involved, or causing Daryl Impey's very serious crash a few years back) doing 130km/h + behind a car. He is a bit of a crazy canon.

My maximum speed ever of 99.7km/h was going down solo the steep side of Vissershok with a strong wind from behind. That was hectic, especially since the road isn't that great!

Been there, done that. Couple of times!

Ask the school buss leaving Phalaborwa to Tzaneen as well as the bus leaving in the other direction, Hoedspruit.

Drafting is easy to get speeds over 100.....you kind off get sucked in behind the bus/truck.

R21 leaving Pretoria.....trucks are slow here....90 is the fastest I have gone heading out to Centurion.....

R21 is perfect!Catch them as they go up the hill from fountains and then it's draft all the way at least till the first robot! :clap: