Is there benefit in me joining my local club?

Skidmark

What about getting a nickname ?

What name would you suggest? Rather not say anything http://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-8831.gif Good example of the politics and plenty clicks...say no more.

Edited by nathrix™ ® ©

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome feedback, thanks everyone. I'll stick with ROAG then :)

Given your noob status I reckon it's probably a good idea to join (the right!) cycling club.

What better way to meet like minded people, potential training partners, potential Sani2c partners etc.

In terms of licences and such joining a club will not help you at all but once you've joined a Sat/Sun group it will become a regular thing and training then becomes an event rather than a drag.

Do some research and find a good club near you I reckon.

Given your noob status I reckon it's probably a good idea to join (the right!) cycling club.

What better way to meet like minded people, potential training partners, potential Sani2c partners etc.

In terms of licences and such joining a club will not help you at all but once you've joined a Sat/Sun group it will become a regular thing and training then becomes an event rather than a drag.

Do some research and find a good club near you I reckon.

Nice feedback, thanks Eldron. I ride with a few mates at the moment, so it's serving me well for now. But I agree, once I get more into and start becoming more competitive, the benefits of being part of a club are then valid & worthwhile.

The nice thing about Masters and Ladies is that you are seeded according to your ability and it works on a handicap system. You ride in groups with people of your level and the handicap system gives even the slowest riders a chance to win.

I think joining a reputable cycling club is a fantastic idea. Its probably the quickest way to improve your cycling because there are always people better than you (generally). Its also a great way to meet new peeps.

That being said there are some rubbish clubs out there that are not worth joining.

Give the local club a call and join them on a ride or two to suss things out. If you like the vibe and the rides suit you in terms of day/time then give it a go.

Hi,

when joining a club you get the opportunity to meet other like minded people. You get to ride with new friends and there is nothing better than sitting around a table with a good cup of coffee( or whatever )discussing what went down and what to do on your next ride.

There is also always somebody fitter or stronger than yourself who will push the pace so your fitness will improve as a spin off.

But my feeling is that not every ride is a race so the best thing that you will get is the pleasure of a pleasant ride with a bunch of good people.

Regards

Sarge

Hi,

when joining a club you get the opportunity to meet other like minded people. You get to ride with new friends and there is nothing better than sitting around a table with a good cup of coffee( or whatever )discussing what went down and what to do on your next ride.

There is also always somebody fitter or stronger than yourself who will push the pace so your fitness will improve as a spin off.

But my feeling is that not every ride is a race so the best thing that you will get is the pleasure of a pleasant ride with a bunch of good people.

Regards

Sarge

Thanks Sarge. Appreciate the comment. There are quite a few social training rides here in PE.. one every morning just about so from a social point of view, that fills my need for group riding. Plus 4 of my mates are all cyclists too so we normally ride together.

I'll stick with ROAG for a while and once I feel I need what you've described above, I'll give it a go...

Thanks!

I would have said a definite yes before this week but...

My club is running a bike maintenance clinic this evening for beginners/luddites/technically challenged riders with the proviso that you have to be a woman rider :thumbdown:

Hey, I'm a technically challenged luddite when it comes to my bike with my skills (or lack thereof) restricted to changing tyres and lubing a chain...

Wasn't there another thread about sexism or racism or something... me bad :blush:

It depends on whether you use the club. With Cycle Lab I get Ride may, full on hospitality at the Argus, 94.7 and Tour Durban, hospitality at several other races, support at MTB events, several social events during the year... So I get more than my money's worth back.

But if you don't use it, it obviously won't be worth it.

Howdy all!

Nice question Skidmark,I'm in the same boat and was mulling over the same question. I've been cycling for 2 months and feel I first need to test my commitment to this new hobby before joining a local PE club. Maybe I'll catch you on the road and trails in the new future...

Cheers

Well you're not going to meet new people in the cycling world by joining a virtual club are you?

Well you're not going to meet new people in the cycling world by joining a virtual club are you?

I did a social training ride the other morning and met a bunch of new people in the cycling world. So I dont think being part of a physical club is the only way to meet new people.

ROAG ~ 50 bucks and you're done.

Join a local club ~ R200 or more plus kit plus plus ~ by the time you are done it is a Grand

Now I'm sommer ook gonna join ROAG, how do you do it? Anyone? :whistling: