32GI

ridr

Works 150% for me.

Get your diet right first before trying this.

Low GI food always with minimal sugars.

Low GI meal before the event is essential as well as not taking anything in that will spike your sugar levels before the event.

I have done several races at pace while only using this, no snacks or anything else and I have had more than enough energy.

There is enough proof out there that this stuff works, If it doesnt work for you, then you are doing something wrong.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried it on two longish rides (2 hours and 4 hours). Both rides have to be the worst rides i have ever done. I got dropped by guys that I would normally not have a problem to stay with. What was different ? Only the GI 32

Cytomax RULES - Go grape flavour !!!

answers:

1) And so what is the problem? Do the test: have a balanced diet for 2/3 days, a big pasta meal the evening, and a decent low gi breakfast in the morning. Then just pack your camelback with only water and go for a long hard ride...I think you would be surprised to notice how long you will last and it would prove you that your body contains a lot of energy.

2) I can tell you I do not loose weight doing that. during a race, I just use the energy I have accumulated the day (days) before. Then after the race I have a normal meal or sometimes a recovery drink if the meal does not come right after. Try to get your calories from a decent diet as well and stop eating crap like coke, chips and burgers, you'll feel the difference on your bike for sure.

I think 32Gi does not provide you the energy you need for the race, it's just a small complement of energy+hydration. The main advantage is that it does not spike (and drop) your blood sugar so you will have the feeling of sustained energy levels. As there is no spike in your blood sugar, your body burns more fat (as opposed to using your blood sugar only if you spike it with high GI product).

I hope it makes sense, but sorry i'm not dietician or a sport scientist so take it for what it's worth...

Thanks. It does make sense, just didn't think it's possible to go for up to 3 hrs only on your body's internal stores. I normally hit the wall way sooner than 3hrs if I don't eat / drink.

I'll try it out on the weekend, eating well from now 'till saturday, then riding a loop at Suikerbosrand only on water.

IN the end this is like chain lube and religion, very personal choice.

To me the biggest advantage of any thing bike wise is mental - if you think it makes you feel better, you will ride harder and faster. Thats a win in my book :thumbup:

Glycogen stores are only enough for just more than an hour, at least when you are running. You will not burn fat at a high intensity, fat takes way too long to mobilise. You need carbohydrates (and more importantly glucose) when you are doing high intensity training.

I agree, it will work on longer rides, but not on high intensity races.

Thanks, but the explanation brings two more questions:

1) If 86% of the energy comes from the 3 days before, and you only replace 14% (2 servings) of the energy that you burn with the 32 GI, then theoretically I should be able to finish at least 86% of the 94.7 on water only...? I find it hard to believe that the mere presence of 32GI in my body gives me the ability to break down fat so much faster and more efficiently.

2) If I continually only replace 7% - 14% of the energy that I burn during training / racing, how sustainable is this from a weight point of view? That means that after the 94.7 I have to eat a king steer burger, large chips and a 1 litre coke just to keep my weight? If I have to do this after every event, I'm gonna start buying famous brands shares.

Anyway, not trying to be difficult, just still looking for a sound explanation...

Hi Rudi

It seems there is a few of us engineers in this thread :)

Like you, I've had all these questions too, and have done a tremendous amount of reading on sports nutrition and body physiology to understand it better. It is a complex field but there is a few basics one needs to understand and build around these. I have posted in a number of other threads around the issue of 32GI not being a wonder product, but have received a lot of negative feedback from people making useless comments like "it works for me" without being able to explain the science behind it. Then there is also the numerous posters who have commercial and or sponsor relationships with 32GI. I'll advise you to do your own research, because only then you will truly understand and be able to judge any products' claims objectively.

Having said all that, here follow a few posts I've made regarding the science out there that is proven by objective research and pear reviewed publications. I also have friends who have studied food science and physiology and works at Stellenbosch faculty where they have access to more people currently studying for their PhD 's in sports nutrition, including the benefits of caffeine etc. But do the work, and read about the science behind all of this. I know, that like me, it will intrigue you !

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/81269-using-32gi-with-gu/page__st__100__p__1164946__fromsearch__1#entry1164946

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/69648-tried-32gi-that-stuff-rocks-big-time/page__st__520__p__1149214__fromsearch__1#entry1149214

Glycogen stores are only enough for just more than an hour, at least when you are running. You will not burn fat at a high intensity, fat takes way too long to mobilise. You need carbohydrates (and more importantly glucose) when you are doing high intensity training.

I agree, it will work on longer rides, but not on high intensity races.

Yes, you are so right. For higher intensities like MTB, it can even lasts less than a hour. The higher the intensity the less time it lasts. It obviously differs from athlete to athlete, because the amount of stores in the liver and muscles can be increased by exercise and fitness. The body utilises stores from not only leg muscles, but other body muscles as well, that's why good cross training can increase overall body stores.

At intensity levels >75 % VO2 max, the energy burned from fat is negligible. You therefore need sources of glucose to support those high intensity levels of effort.

Works 150% for me.

Get your diet right first before trying this.

Low GI food always with minimal sugars.

Low GI meal before the event is essential as well as not taking anything in that will spike your sugar levels before the event.

I have done several races at pace while only using this, no snacks or anything else and I have had more than enough energy.

There is enough proof out there that this stuff works, If it doesnt work for you, then you are doing something wrong.

Any tips on Low GI breakfast before racing. Just started using 32Gi and will doing my first race with it on Sunday.

There is also another thing that the promotors of 32GI conveniently "forget" to mention.

1. They claim that 32GI is a carbohydrate and not sugar, implying it is better than sugar.

Well, 32GI (Isomaltulose) is just a different form of sugar, in the sense that it also consists of exactly the same molecules of glucose and fructose as that of ordinary table sugar, ie sucrose, but the body absorbs it just a little bit slower than sugar. That is the only difference, no magic. You can get the same benefit by digesting ordinary table sugar at a 40% slower rate than 32GI.

2. They claim that 32GI "promotes" more fat burn.

This is rubbish ! The science have concluded that fat is burned more efficiently while burned together with a little bit of glucose. Any form of glucose will however do, and 32GI don't have a monopoly on this !

So as I said, do your own research and don't take the promotion material as fact, which is often taken out of context.

Any tips on Low GI breakfast before racing. Just started using 32Gi and will doing my first race with it on Sunday.

Something like oats without sugar.

Low GI bread with peanut butter

Pronutro is also Low GI I believe?

Archived