Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AAAARGH!

Trigger finger be damned!

I've done them already, as per the normal BOXXER decals. Had to get to a meeting, and the e-mail had to be sent before I left the office (e-mail addy of printing place not on the phone - eedjit!)

Anyway - more pics.

Decals on the frame!!!

All hanging in the "spray booth" with their clearcoats on... I seriously underestimated the viscosity of hte clearcoat, so there were a few places it ran. I just hope it comes out okay in the end!

Seriously shiny though!

You should have give it a thin clear coat before you applied the stickers. Then a few thin coats again, sand down the ridges that the stickers made and then a few thin coats again. Or seeing that the stickers was such a simple design, you could have had it cut in reverse and sprayed in and then just a clear over that. When there is a run, just sand it down and polish it shiny. Otherwise it looks good.

Bwaha! bwahahahaha!!!

Anyway - I'm off to Peddlars.

Ciao all!

What do you mean, you off to Peddlars !??!!! That damn bike ain't gonna finish itself you know ??!!!! Pffttt....

You should have give it a thin clear coat before you applied the stickers. Then a few thin coats again, sand down the ridges that the stickers made and then a few thin coats again. Or seeing that the stickers was such a simple design, you could have had it cut in reverse and sprayed in and then just a clear over that. When there is a run, just sand it down and polish it shiny. Otherwise it looks good.

Shot man... Appreciate the input. Hindsight being 20/20, that's what I would have done. But I'm just too amped to ride the beeyatch! I think I'm going to haul in the expertise of Mr. Capricorn on the final touches here. But coming back from Peddlars, the finish looks to have settled itself very well. No lumps etc.

And now the assemblage begins!

Fork with the decals on. Tell me that doesn't look good. Go on - I dare ya! :devil:

post-3056-0-14759200-1314981281.jpg

i'm going round to take you up on your dare to your face, touch your boxxers and drink your tea.

:thumbup:

PoS: surely you can work with all that material.. ;)

Edited by Capricorn

Hey Mayhem, when you're done with this awesome project of yours don't you wanna give a quick outline of what you bought from CRC with the VAT and duties etc? I know there is a million threads on this but would be nice to see an actual example.

Thanks mate

That fork looks super sweet btw

Edited by Zaskar09

Great looking result, both on the fork and the frame! I really like the understated effect of the colours you used.

And the 85% mark is here...

Only things to do:

Connect the cranks & chain guide. The BB assembly is giving me a bit of ***, and 'cos I don't have the proper tool the bearings aren't seating properly. This means that there's approx 3mm of clearance on the non-drive side. Which shouldn't be there. I'm going to take it in tomorrow AM to fix.

Rear brake - the adapter is the wrong fkn size! The PCD is a really strange size and both the adapter that I bought and the one that came with the brakes has a distance between the mounting points 3mm more than that of the IS mounts themselves.

Cut the read der housing - very straightforward. But I don't have the cable cutters (well, I have cutters, but not the right ones) and I don't wanna stuff it up.

Oh. And the front tire is on back-to-front. Tragedy.

Here she is!

post-3056-0-16231200-1315000214.jpg

And the 85% mark is here...

Only things to do:

Connect the cranks & chain guide. The BB assembly is giving me a bit of ***, and 'cos I don't have the proper tool the bearings aren't seating properly. This means that there's approx 3mm of clearance on the non-drive side. Which shouldn't be there. I'm going to take it in tomorrow AM to fix.

Rear brake - the adapter is the wrong fkn size! The PCD is a really strange size and both the adapter that I bought and the one that came with the brakes has a distance between the mounting points 3mm more than that of the IS mounts themselves.

Cut the read der housing - very straightforward. But I don't have the cable cutters (well, I have cutters, but not the right ones) and I don't wanna stuff it up.

Oh. And the front tire is on back-to-front. Tragedy.

Here she is!

post-3056-0-16231200-1315000214.jpg

thumbup1.gifthumbup1.gifthumbup1.gif

AAAAAAAAAAAAND.....

DONE!

I just want to re-cut the derailleur housing, as it is a bit skeef at the moment. Also, just need to adjust the brakes, and I will be fitting my 180mm disc to the rear. Managed to jimmy-rig the adapter so that it fits the frame, and that it will accept a 180mm disc. That's going on tomorrow morning. There are also a couple of chips in the paint that happened whilst assembling. I'll be putting the bike next to the heater tonight, so that it can harden. I'll also touch it up tomorrow morning.

So, here she is. In all her glory. And I must say - I'm pretty chuffed with her!

Now to go for the test ride! But first - bed. It's been a long day...

post-3056-0-89030100-1315012815.jpg