XC vs Trail

Honkdonk

to me the lines are way blurred

XC in a racing context is just that - serious cross country racing. but the when you speak about racing you also get XC fun rides, and marathon / stage racing

XC in recreational terms could mean an easy ride out for some (jeep track mainly) for others a seriously fast training ride

Bike wise you're looking at hardtails and short travel full sussers

Trail ridinng could either refer to what 9 out of 10 riders do recreationally i.e. they go and ride trails OR if you want trail riding could be when you're riding, but the goal is to hit up miles and miles of singletrack. Bikes would be hardtails, and short (100) to medium (120) travel full sussers (even up to about 140mm)

AM is where trail riding gets a little more extreme - I see AM as the type of riding where you are prepared to crank it up the hills, with the goal of bombing back down and hitting everything in your path (except perhaps bigger jumps like road gaps, etc - although many AM riders will hit these as well). Protective gear would include something you could easily carry with you - like a pair of kneeguards - but still an open face helmet (though probably one with some decent rear coverage). Bikes would be full sussers - anything from 140 - 180mm travel.

Freeride is where you're hitting such big stuff it's time for tons of travel and a full face helmet. Typically you'll be shuttling up, because your bike and gear would be too cumbersome for pedalling up a hill, and the hill you're going up is probably steeper than most. Freeride is also about hitting anything and everything

Downhill is a more focussed version of Freeride - same idea, but with an even burlier bike and on a set course, sometimes competitively

Take contermanskloof for example - do the main loop at contermans and you could call it a trail ride OR if you want a XC ride. But include the top part of the downhill track (the blue route) and the old lower black route, and you could call it an AM ride. Take the gnarliest, faster route down the mountain and you could call it a Freeride ride. Bomb the downhill track and you're riding downhill.

Now I know that's not the best description out there but that's how I see it. What's important is that you get a bike you like, find some trails you like, get some buddies you like riding with and RIDE YOUR BIKE! Whether you're clad in lycra shooting across a XC course or loaded with armour bombing down the gnarliest hill you can find, who cares what you call it AS LONG AS YOU'RE HAVING FUN!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't use the words AM/Trail and lycra in the same sentence. In some countries you could be shot for such reckless behaviour.

My 5c added above :whistling:

to me the lines are way blurred

Yup, very true. I think the AM category will probably see the most growth in the next few years. It provides the "freedom factor" that you only get when you can go up and down over any terrain with the same amount of confidence.

I will have a stab

Van Gaalens - Trail

Rietvlei - XC

Maybe the other way round. :blush: Rietvlei's blue route is more technical than VG.

Maybe the other way round. :blush: Rietvlei's blue route is more technical than VG.

yes I agree, flippen hell that blue route is hectic

lets try again

Van Gaalen(daggapad via concrete slabs and then home via tant miems, oom piets and river) - Trail

Rietvlei(green route) - XC

Descriptions are always tough.

Here's my go:

Marathon - mostly dirt roads/jeep track with technical single track sections. Any newish rider should not battle too much. That said some national courses have been hectic - Clarens is pretty harsh. The average weekend fun ride of about 60km is doable by newcomers. This is the least technical form of racing.

XC - this one is hectically confusing. Traditionally it means short course racing 7-8km per lap. Non UCI sanctioned XC seems to be pretty straight forward but the UCI/CSA national stuff is pretty severe. Anyone ride the rock garden in PMB? Rough! Loads of tracks have roots, drop offs, rocks, steep climbs etc. The rocks tend to be smaller than 15cm in diameter and drop offs below 2m. Root sections are pretty short.

Trail/free riding - this is the stuff that us roadies struggle with. Beeeeg rocks, tall drop offs, banked corners, trees, steep declines characterise these courses.

My definition is - if you can manage with a hardtail it's marathon or XC. If you *** off with less than 5 inches of travel front and rear - it's trail/free ride.

yes I agree, flippen hell that blue route is hectic

lets try again

Van Gaalen(daggapad via concrete slabs and then home via tant miems, oom piets and river) - Trail

Rietvlei(green route) - XC

Yip, I bleed through the eyes every time I ride the blue at Rietvlei.

Green is best ridden fast, especially through the trees.

Descriptions are always tough.

Here's my go:

cut cut

My definition is - if you can manage with a hardtail it's marathon or XC. If you *** off with less than 5 inches of travel front and rear - it's trail/free ride.

:thumbup:

would Groenkloof then be a trail riding venue, right?

I would say Groenkloof is XC with a smidgen of trail.

When you see people like Burry Stander bailing on the rock garden in PMB, and the amount of guys falling in Monte Saint Anne, Canada, which was carnage (and these are the top XC riders in the world), I would hardly agree that XC is like the green route at Rietvlei.

Hmm

Busy deciding on whether to get a new bike for XC or one with the extra travel.

I came from a hardtail so anything with a rear shock is luxury.

Edited by DaveT

When you see people like Burry Stander bailing on the rock garden in PMB, and the amount of guys falling in Monte Saint Anne, Canada, which was carnage (and these are the top XC riders in the world), I would hardly agree that XC is like the green route at Rietvlei.

Did you see the Czech Republic course? Looked like they'd taken the DH course and laid it flat. Hectic stuff - my sphincter was nibbling on my underwear and I was only watching it on TV!

Hmm

Busy deciding on whether to get a new bike for XC or one with the extra travel.

I came from a hardtail so anything with a rear shock is luxury.

I'm busy considering the same thing. I have been looking at the cube AMS130, its pretty light for a full susser (11.5kg), its got a good anount of travel but it changeable between 110, 130 and 150 and comes with front and rear lockout so that you can work the climbs. Its got pretty good reviews. I'm thinking it might be fun to have something that behaves well on XC, marathon stuff but will a the flick of a button enjoy some more downward facing fun.

I reckon it may diversify my riding places and enjoyment, i'm also coming from and XC style race hardtail.

This one's the SL but the AMS130 race is 12.1kg and quite a bit cheaper...the only difference is the wheelset, but you can swap to your light XC.

post-16016-0-98939900-1314282954.jpg

Edited by Palaeodom

Good looking bike, Paleodom.

Yeah, it is a good looking bike...just have to save the 25k to get it...not so cool.