Build-a-Bike - Enriching the lives of the less fortunate

divernick

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, once again, thank you to everyone who has donated bikes and parts to this initiative. It's changed the lives of 75 people over the past 5 years.

I'm once again running low on certain parts - please see if you have any of the following lying around:

• Derailleurs and shifters - 8/9/10 speed
  • Crank sets and BB's
  • All v-brake and disc brake sets and parts
  • Forks - v-brake and disc brake
  • Usable rims, hubs or complete wheels
  • 26-inch tyres and tubes

If you have parts that you're prepared to donate, please drop them off at the PwC Bike Park reception and tell them that they are for Build-a-Bike.

Thanks so much!

• 2 months later...

I'll be exhibiting at the Africa Cycle Fair this weekend at St Stithians - stand number 7.

Please feel free to bring along and donate any bikes / parts that you no longer need. 

We still need a bit of everything to build bikes for donation to the underprivileged. Specifically we need 29er forks and wheels to build a couple of frames I have lying about.

Hope to see you there!

http://www.africacyclefair.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/ACF-LOGO-RGB-512.jpg

I'll be presenting workshops on disc brake bleeding and adjusting your gears at the ACF2016 this weekend at St Stithians.

Bring your own bike - it's hands on!

Saturday 11h00: Gears and cables 

Saturday 14h00: Disc brake bleeding

Sunday 11h00: Disc brake bleeding

Sunday 14h00: gears and cables

Gears and cables (cable replacement / tension / limit screws)

R100 per person - I supply brand new rear gear cable and tools

Disc brake bleeding (Shimano)

R100 per person - I supply use of bleed kit and oil

Places are limited - first come first served

Edited by divernick

The Africa Cycle Fair is now on.

Come through to the Build-a-Bike SA stand, bring your bike and let's put in some new cables and even bleed the brakes.

We have Kitted chainrings for sale as well.

All proceeds go to Build-a-Bike SA

• 4 months later...

My riding partner and I are riding J2C single speed to raise funds for Unite For Change SA. Our target is to raise R100k.

Unite for Change is a registered Section 18A PBO, which means that they can give tax invoices for all donations. This benefits corporates as the contributions are tax deductible and contribute to BEE scorecards and Corporate Social Responsibility objectives.

If you can assist in any way, please let me know.

post-19617-0-63708600-1489137137_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have a set of roadie hubs that just need a bearing clean / service .... do you have anyone in CT who can make use of it for one of your builds?

• 4 weeks later...

Just seen this now Hairy.   I can definitely use the hubs, thanks. Can you send them to me in JHB?

Edited by divernick

• 1 month later...

One of the first guys I ever gave a bike - Mashudu, a security guard from Diepsloot, had his bike stolen and now has to spend a lot on transport. He used to ride his bike EVERY day!

Does anyone have a MTB lying about that you could donate to this guy? He's super-loyal, all-round good guy and has been working at my complex full time in Paulshof since 2010.

I have a long waiting list of new guys waiting for bikes and I don't think it fair to give him one before I've seen to their needs.

Any bike wil be appreciated, but a medium MTB is prefereble.

Edited by divernick

• 3 weeks later...

The next basic bike repair course is this Saturday at 9am.

Click here for more info: http://www.buildabikesa.com/product/basic-bicycle-repair/

This is a great course for any cyclist and imparts the skills necessary to do most repairs and servicing, as well as roadside fixes.

The proceeds help fund the Build-a-Bike SA initiative to get more people riding bikes as daily transport.

post-19617-0-36951500-1496927716_thumb.gif

• 1 month later...

I'm clearing out a garage and shed. I have an old Giant road bike complete I think but needs a little work. Also lots of 26 inch mtn wheels and tyres. Peddles and so on. Don't want to sell it. Rather it goes to someone who needs it.

• 2 months later...

I'm clearing out a garage and shed. I have an old Giant road bike complete I think but needs a little work. Also lots of 26 inch mtn wheels and tyres. Peddles and so on. Don't want to sell it. Rather it goes to someone who needs it.

I can and do use everything that is donated to Build-a-Bike SA. Please drop off at the PWC Bike Park whenever convenient.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Stupid question but are you Jozi based with beneficiaries up there?

I have some stuff which is down in CPT.

Yup I'm in Jozi

• 8 months later...