Tour de Free State

SwissVan

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Photo's ..... not youtube ...:(

Come on Slowbee get with the times, photos require skill whilst any tjop can aim a video camera thingy...

The total lack of comment on a major cycling event happening right on our doorsteps to me sums up the state of the Hub. Even Fridays epic final few km where most of the elite field where reduced to walking didn't even elicit a single comment on a so called cycling forum as far as I am aware.

Of course everyone will say it wasn't marketed properly so no one knew about it but those that were bothered would have found out the details.

I firmly believe that the Hub has lost it's cycling focus and people prefer to come here to discuss more random and often controversial topics.

I think the state of the hub is pretty good. Membership appears to be on the rise daily, as a commercial enterprise I think this site is doing very well thank's.

I guess Ianj is referring to the other cycling site which I find rather clinical and boring, I have seldom seen more than 20 people participating, but, each to their own, I see no reason to go there and pass judgement on the members of the forum as he appears to see fit here.

As far as I know, participation is not mandatory, personally I see the post as rather derogatory and uncalled for.

I think the state of the hub is pretty good. Membership appears to be on the rise daily, as a commercial enterprise I think this site is doing very well thank's.

I guess Ianj is referring to the other cycling site which I find rather clinical and boring, I have seldom seen more than 20 people participating, but, each to their own, I see no reason to go there and pass judgement on the members of the forum as he appears to see fit here.

As far as I know, participation is not mandatory, personally I see the post as rather derogatory and uncalled for.

GOG- That’s exactly why I started the thread because a few years ago when there were more people like IanJ actively using the hub the Tour de Free State would have had an active thread and probably even daily photographic updates from some (seemingly now ex hubbers) who would have kept the hub up to date on daily events as they took place.

There is a reason why a lot of these people no longer contribute regularly on the hub, and mostly I believe it is because of the responses like that from ZacA (which appears to have been deleted by mods – see a copy thereof below in italics). It’s not so much the response but the logic and lack of knowledge behind the response, WTH didn’t the dude think before he opened his mouth.

ZacA said:

Well instead of acting so high and mighty why didn't you just start a thread if you wanted to, before slandering everybody else.

Gosh, you should also be contributing to the forum, or maybe you just take.

Do you wheelsuck as well? Do you help at the front of the group?

hmmm

If you thought IanJ's post was derogatory and uncalled for, how would you suggest a hubber should respond in a situation like IanJ?

I actually thought it was rather polite and well put.

Edited by SwissVan

I have sent a pm saying sorry to IanJ and he accepted it...

Once again,

I am sorry for not thinking through it.

GOG- That’s exactly why I started the thread because a few years ago when there were more people like IanJ actively using the hub the Tour de Free State would have had an active thread and probably even daily photographic updates from some (seemingly now ex hubbers) who would have kept the hub up to date on daily events as they took place.

There is a reason why a lot of these people no longer contribute regularly on the hub, and mostly I believe it is because of the responses like that from ZacA (which appears to have been deleted by mods – see a copy thereof below in italics). It’s not so much the response but the logic and lack of knowledge behind the response, WTH didn’t the dude think before he opened his mouth.

ZacA said:

Well instead of acting so high and mighty why didn't you just start a thread if you wanted to, before slandering everybody else.

Gosh, you should also be contributing to the forum, or maybe you just take.

Do you wheelsuck as well? Do you help at the front of the group?

hmmm

If you thought IanJ's post was derogatory and uncalled for, how would you suggest a hubber should respond in a situation like IanJ?

I actually thought it was rather polite and well put.

Yeah, the post from ZACA was obviously deleted, but Ianj posted prior to the comment. I think ZACA responded to him.

I hear what you are saying, but there is a lot of cycling stuff going on here if you look, maybe not that event, but there was obviously little interest from this community in it, rightly or wrongly that's just the way it was.

I agree slandering is uncalled for, but I also feel IANJ took a veiled swipe at the community as a whole, if the site is not for him, that's fine, but there's no need to comment on "the state of the hub" as if the present community had caused it to descend into chaos.

I see it a bit like shopping for a car and deciding to buy a Toyota, then taking a walk across the street and telling the Ford salesman you wont be buying his car due to the "state of the Ford company".

Do you not think the salesman will toss you out on your ear, or at least respond with irritation.? Why create that kind of situation?, IanJ could just have suggested another shop and said I shop here for that info, or simply have said nothing,.....I (rightly or wrongly) definitely saw his comments as inflammatory and provocative.

Swiss, I believe each to their own, I prefer to shop here as opposed to the other site, I find it hellishly boring and sterile, but I don't need to go over there and tell them to liven the hell up,...those who shop there obviously like it, I can live with that.

But, Yeah I concede you have a point on the news and keeping current, however I thought you asked the question in an interesting and pleasant manner, I read no malice into it as I did with IANJ's - maybe I was just feeling a bit over-sensitive I don't know :D ,... I have met a few folk here, and all of them were really nice guys, I don't think what they prefer to discuss means the state of the Hub is any poorer or any better, its just differant, Frankly I like that. :D

GOG, firstly may say that i think you are reading a bit too much into my initial statement and also maybe my choice of words could have been better.

What I was trying to say is that, in my opinion, the Hub is not the same as it was a few years ago when it's primary focus was cycling and there was plenty of coverage of local races with lots of photgraphs etc. The topics have become much more diverse and people seem to have become much more confrontational than previously. I know of quite a few other people who also don't post here any more for similar reasons.

It is not my position to say that because of the above the Hub is any worse than it was that is just how I feel. As with any forum the direction followed will be determined by the members and that has obviously changed over the years. I still come here to view topics that interest me and will occasionally comment if I have any valid input.

I do feel that as a cycling forum there would previously have been quite a bit of mention and discussion on an event like the Tour de Freestate.

Incidentally I was not referring to any other forum when I said I had discussed the Tour on other media but rather more personal social type media with closer groups of personal friends.

My intention was certainly not to criticise the Hub or it's members, but simply to compare the current Hub with the old.

I hope that clears things up.

Out of here to enjoy my weekend and get ready for a lekker race on Sunday.

Have a good weekend all.

GOG, firstly may say that i think you are reading a bit too much into my initial statement and also maybe my choice of words could have been better.

What I was trying to say is that, in my opinion, the Hub is not the same as it was a few years ago when it's primary focus was cycling and there was plenty of coverage of local races with lots of photgraphs etc. The topics have become much more diverse and people seem to have become much more confrontational than previously. I know of quite a few other people who also don't post here any more for similar reasons.

It is not my position to say that because of the above the Hub is any worse than it was that is just how I feel. As with any forum the direction followed will be determined by the members and that has obviously changed over the years. I still come here to view topics that interest me and will occasionally comment if I have any valid input.

I do feel that as a cycling forum there would previously have been quite a bit of mention and discussion on an event like the Tour de Freestate.

Incidentally I was not referring to any other forum when I said I had discussed the Tour on other media but rather more personal social type media with closer groups of personal friends.

My intention was certainly not to criticise the Hub or it's members, but simply to compare the current Hub with the old.

I hope that clears things up.

Out of here to enjoy my weekend and get ready for a lekker race on Sunday.

Have a good weekend all.

Sure, I understand now, perhaps I just read too much into it. Its all good.

Yeah, enjoy the day, I think its also time head out for a beer.

I have sent a pm saying sorry to IanJ and he accepted it...

Once again,

I am sorry for not thinking through it.

Don't sweat too much.

Ian is a great guy.

I am reasonably sympathetic towards your response tho although I agree with IanJ's comments re the hub.

You just called a spade a spade and shot from the hip.I am an expert :thumbup: