Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Eish, that's commitment, well done. I've never been in Durban CBD so no idea what it would be like.

Dbn CBD is rough. Extremely dodgy. Probably one of the worst areas in Dbn crimewise.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dbn CBD is rough. Extremely dodgy. Probably one of the worst areas in Dbn crimewise.

Eish i had no idea, well in that case walking is out of the question. Probably cause everyone walks around in Cape Town CBD I just assumed Durban was the same as it being a coastal City, didn't know it was on Jhb level.

Durban vs Cape Town CBD is very different. That is what I loved about CT. Very much like a lot of other countries where the CBD is actually one of the better areas of the city. The area I moved to is close to the CBD, but a much better area. Also near Durban's equivalent of Long Street (Florida Road). I am also about 2km from the cycling circuit (a 5km loop that runs along the beach front and in front of the stadium) which is reserved for cyclists between 4 and 6:30 morning and night. You do get the idiots that dont know how to read road signs, but it is mostly ok to ride in. Great for base training.

Bunny hopping is very useful to learn

Drafting (within reason) is fun and useful, but old farmers in Landies will shout at you

There's no other form of transportation that will leave a bigger smile on your face at point B

Rain isn't so bad (without a headwind at least)

Thanking the few drivers that are polite will get you along way

Rear view mirrors are expendable

Pedal strike in moving traffic will make you wet yourself

Ride a mountain bike cause there are ramps everywhere (Durban is win)

Slime is amazing

Lifes good on a bike

Something I noted over the last two weeks, the roads are littered with glass in January...

Yip. Same here in Pretoria. Had to buy new tyres this weekend as the set I had on has had just too many little holes in it.

well i dont think its only in Jan as here in Alberton the roads are full of glass all year round, extremely sad to see

Pedal strike in moving traffic will make you wet yourself

No kidding, this happened to me recently mid-way through a turn in a traffic circle. I'd put a bit more leg in the stroke because I knew the driver I'd just passed was antsy to move and then the pedal hit, rear wheel jumped and I almost lost it.

Being friendly with drivers is nice but being friendly with people is awesome. It's amazing how quickly a seemingly unfriendly long face can break into a smile.

What I don't enjoy so much is getting behind the 'indigent' commuters whose wheels are so out of true it's a miracle they can still rotate/one (or no) cables evident/broken or no pedals (just the axle)/general sad bike condition but they're still going. Makes my heart break but all I can do is be extra-appreciative of the life I lead. (I do carry a few spare bits around in case I can help someone out)

No kidding, this happened to me recently mid-way through a turn in a traffic circle. I'd put a bit more leg in the stroke because I knew the driver I'd just passed was antsy to move and then the pedal hit, rear wheel jumped and I almost lost it.

Being friendly with drivers is nice but being friendly with people is awesome. It's amazing how quickly a seemingly unfriendly long face can break into a smile.

What I don't enjoy so much is getting behind the 'indigent' commuters whose wheels are so out of true it's a miracle they can still rotate/one (or no) cables evident/broken or no pedals (just the axle)/general sad bike condition but they're still going. Makes my heart break but all I can do is be extra-appreciative of the life I lead. (I do carry a few spare bits around in case I can help someone out)

Some of the most friendly and grateful people I've helped were fellow commuters. In contrast, at races, I sometimes get very little in terms of thanks if I give somone a free tube. Two weeks ago I gave a tube to someone at the Journey For Sight and was told "thanks, can you fit it for me, I don't know how". I said "sorry, I have to now try and catch up with my 12 year old before he gets to Ocean View where road conditions and traffic is a bit dodgy" I got a blank stare for my trouble and a R80 tube.

Edited by DJR

Right, starting my commuting a bit late this year, but this afternoon I'm on my way! Struggling to concentrate on work because of anticipation! Can't wait!!!

Edited by Loupie

Know it looks like propaganda, but heck it is much better than the poo the Govt tries to tell us...

http://thumbnails.visually.netdna-cdn.com/pedal-power_522d27958bf49_w1500.jpg

Edited by François Marais

I like the US government for publicly advertising to the country that people should commute to work. Unfortunately for that to happen here our road will need a total revamp in most areas

Know it looks like propaganda, but heck it is much better than the poo the Govt tries to tell us...

I dont mind this positive propaganda, like you say much better than the E-Toll Cr@p our government if forcing down our throats

I dont mind this positive propaganda, like you say much better than the E-Toll Cr@p our government if forcing down our throats

Our throats? They are shafting us up the arse!