Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Any suggestions as to what I can do with my cold feet? Seriously, could only feel them once I got into a piping hot shower this morning.

Castelli Toe Thingy. (Road Shoe) 

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any suggestions as to what I can do with my cold feet? Seriously, could only feel them once I got into a piping hot shower this morning.

I use a set of neoprene booties when it gets really cold, they work rather well.....even if your feet are drenched from rain, the insulation is still very good!

I first need to get fit again before ridding with anyone else. Sad to say that at the moment I will just hold you back. What bike do you commute with. I have done MTB for long now, but have not yet commute to work however I am super keen.

I commute on my road bike but I haven't been doing it quite enough since my wife gave birth to our 2nd kid in Jan. I have to drop my boy at crèche in the morning and then only I can cycle in.

But I will def be picking it up again as I hate not cycling to work.

I have a fascinating neighbour who commutes from Rondebosch to Maitland on his MTB. Actually, he apparently has two.

But on all the occasions I've seen him on the road - at least ten times - he has never once actually been on the bike. He pushes it out the gate, he pushes it over Rondebosch bridge, he pushes it at the Pinelands bridge ... I have no words for the wonder of it all.

Pic after my commute this morning. New job and new offices in Braamfontein... The coffee in Braamfontein is amazing by the way.

This is outside Father Coffee.

attachicon.gif20160504_081741_HDR.jpg

Father Coffe certainly has the best coffe for sale in JHB!

The shop itsself is awesome with all that wood panelling

can't wait to be able to commute again. Just another 18 months before the lightie goes to Grade R, and then I can get to the office on my steed. Leave my car there in the evenings during the week and hey presto! 36km per day and more if I want to do the green belts as a cheeky post-commute bit of MTB. 

But on all the occasions I've seen him on the road - at least ten times - he has never once actually been on the bike. He pushes it out the gate, he pushes it over Rondebosch bridge, he pushes it at the Pinelands bridge ... I have no words for the wonder of it all.

He's been doing it for years. It must take him about an hour! He must be super paranoid about safety - and a bit "special" 

hi guys i'm back!

caught up again (only a 3rd of the pages compared to last time)

learning alot from you guys. probably must have seen some of you around.

I started cycling to the office in CBD since November, changed positions but same building. I have not cycled for less than 20 days... i have learned:

• apathy towards getting my car ecu fixed
  • leaving at 6am is bloody awesome, oversleeping and riding past all those stuck in traffic just makes my day.
  • stupidly take a car or lift to work saddens me every time i see a cyclist go by ;(
  • in the last 3 years I've seen more commuters on the road
  • construction on Liesbeek is a birch and leftovers from accidents are nicely swept into the cycling lane
  • finally rode in an impromptu bus (awesome!)
  • i have lost alot of weight, and am reminded at every opportunity by family
  • that wind in Jan/Feb! brought me to moments of standstills in woodstock.
  • there are more greetings than the nod and s:)e
  • i've been so desperate this week that i have cycled with a slow puncture and my big (workshop?) pump.

so if you see a guy on a white fold up (Giant FD806) on the liesbeek/lower main road route it's me, also a couple of pages ago there was someone looking for company from claremont/rondebosch, i can join you,  i  and leave latest 6:30 and leave the office around 15:30. unfortunately i only have till the end of this month to cycle then i will be fasting (ramadaan) then will be off for a 2 week holiday ;) after recovering, hopefully i will start my 4th year commuting

Things I've learn't:

-Never, never, NEVER assume a motorist has seen you at the intersection. Especially when you need to cross in front of them. :cursing:

-Those Ski gloves in the back of the cupboard work nicely to keep hands warm on cold mornings with fast descents.

-A little bit of prepwork makes commuting even more enjoyable. I take the necessary stuff to the office ahead of time if I am taking the car to work on a given day, thus the rucksack can be as light as possible or not even needed on the cycle days.

-Breezing past stationary cars in traffic makes the granny-gear climbs worth all the effort.

-30 minutes of cycling home seems to go much faster than a 20min drive in traffic, funny that. :huh:

learned today that if the car slows down slightly and signals to the guy that he may turn into the main rd (from a side road), it doesn't matter if he sees you and your massive flashing light he will go and take he's sweet time. while you side drift to avoid sudden hurt, he will look at you in annoyance because of your bright light.

learned today that i need new breaks

Things I've learn't:

-Never, never, NEVER assume a motorist has seen you at the intersection. Especially when you need to cross in front of them. :cursing:

Hope you're ok??? And your bike?

It is quite something to get used to here in Munich when it comes to cyclists, cars and intersection.  On a cycling path the cyclist has the right of way.  If a car needs to cross an intersection then he has to wait for oncomming cyclists and cyclist approaching from behind before he can cross the cycling path, even if he blocks the rest of traffic to do so.