Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Which also means it will start to rain soon. :-)

Ja, our mini monsoon season that we get in Natal is just around the corner. From September to late November.

We can have rain for 4/5 days in a week regularly. And that comes with some proper wind too.

But then, being commuters, makes us a special breed of nutters, and Rules #5 and #9 will always be our mantra.

Rule #5 // Harden The **** Up.

Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.

Ride on :)

Edited by tombeej

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.

Ride on :)

It's just more fun, makes the everday route a new challenge! (In the wind and rain)

Back to 'things I've learnt from commuting':

I learnt that my dangerous time is those long seconds immediately after the alarm clock goes off and shatters my peaceful sleep. That's the moment when my resolve is at its lowest. Very easy to pull the covers over my head and stay snug with the warm, soft female body lying next to me (if I cave, she'll drop me off at the office).

So I keep my kit right at the spot next to my bed where I sit up. As the alarm goes off I sit up and start dressing. I don't look outside, I don't think about turning on lights first to start coffee. I must get into my kit asap - before my mind has a chance to start working.

Once I'm in my kit, 90% of the job is done. From there, it's easy.

Still sort of on the topic of both lessons learnt and the weather:

Learned to cheat the wind by riding on sidewalks to get as close to buildings and boundary walls. Having a bell on the bike works wonders to get most peoples attention, that is now when they do not have earphones on.

Why?

August is extremely windy in PE, and yesterday I had a headwind of just over 50km/h. Phew, the legs feel like jelly this morning after timetrailing into that wind to be in time for an appointment. Maybe the legs are weak as the appiointment was an hour spinning class.... :-)

Yip, definately warming up. At 5:30am yesterday, I was going like a rocket as there was no need for a jacket, buff and the like.... Come on summer!!!

Ride whatever the weather is doing. If there is a massive head wind with rain I go straight into it for the experience :D Makes riding in normal weather much more enjoyable and easier.

Shame, I saw a guy on an old bike in the wind on jam smuts yesterday have to get off because wind was so strong !!!

better secret is aniyor bakery on thibult Square in town.

R20 Gets you a phenomenal pastry of your choice and a origin coffee....and they have bicycle parking

Thanks for the tip, went there this morning, not a bad deal!

So today was the first commute in a few weeks thanks to illness and mechanical issues, i learnt that one easily takes the little pleasures such as riding your bike to work for granted and once you back one you treasure every pedal stroke.

So today was the first commute in a few weeks thanks to illness and mechanical issues, i learnt that one easily takes the little pleasures such as riding your bike to work for granted and once you back one you treasure every pedal stroke.

Can't wait to get on my bike again. Been off the darn thing far too long due to injury. Really miss the early morning cycle to work.

Fudge a MTB is hard work! Decided to use the MTB this morning. Took me 5 minutes longer to get to work. Traffic was hell this morning with countless idiots on the road.

Had a dude on a BMX that was in my way a few times as well. Hope that traffic will be better tonight. Getting gatvol of these unlicensed (learner sticker in the rear window) freaken idiots on the roads

Cycling into a North-Wester on the way in this morning is hard work. Thankfully the wind is going to be blowing harder on my way home :w00t: I like having a strong tail wind for the ride home

post-3399-0-05756600-1408433410_thumb.jpg

Cycling into a North-Wester on the way in this morning is hard work. Thankfully the wind is going to be blowing harder on my way home :w00t: I like having a strong tail wind for the ride home

Johnny R ... we did a little ride to work in that wind this morning too ... except we went over the mountain :) ... when you joining us again BTW?

Johnny R ... we did a little ride to work in that wind this morning too ... except we went over the mountain :) ... when you joining us again BTW?

The wind has not been my friend these last few days, except for Tuesday afternoon. But a harder ride makes the good days better :) On Tuesday I felt like "the man" after passing a couple of roadies on their ultra light bikes and no extra kit. I was on my rather huge 29'er mtb with dik-wiel commuter tyres and a 10kg backpack. They were spinning to keep up with me, and after passing me when I had to slow down for a car I stuck to them with my slow cadence, their legs spinning at some insane speed .... aaahhhh I *am* the man ... lol :D

Would love to join you guys for a Wednesday morning ride up the mountain. I'll need to make a plan to leave home a lot earlier. 6:30 at the towers ?