Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

I had a good ride into work (Cape Town CBD) this morning. I caught a whole bunch of riders at Woodbridge Island at just after 7h00. I stayed with them only for a short while. Was that the "bike bus" coming from Milnerton?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a good ride into work (Cape Town CBD) this morning. I caught a whole bunch of riders at Woodbridge Island at just after 7h00. I stayed with them only for a short while. Was that the "bike bus" coming from Milnerton?

what bike were you on?

Could have been our group

Indeed, earphones while riding :thumbdown:

most of the cyclists I follow on Instagram, etc, seems to be riding with earphones. Are we the only country that is so strict (self imposed) on this?

most of the cyclists I follow on Instagram, etc, seems to be riding with earphones. Are we the only country that is so strict (self imposed) on this?

Think it is more a case of safety than anything else. Here we have to be more vigilant as most of our drivers have lucky packet licences and don't care a smidgen for human life and won't loose any sleep over knocking a cyclist down.

In most other countries they have cycle lanes country wide and if a driver knocks a cyclists there are consequences to pay for their actions!

And before you thing SAF is bad. Audi A6 3.0 TDi is over 1 million Krona. So about R1.8 bar and personal income tax is 62% with VAT at 25% !! Oh, and it's piss cold, and rainy.

Oh, and it's piss cold, and rainy.

Tell me about it, I'm back in Belgium, back at work, it's 5° and it's raining..., no commuting here this week. Cycled from the train station to home, only 5' and was soaked already  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:   :thumbdown: 

But then again, yes, happy with the bike lanes here. Didn't feel very comfortable riding downtown CPT. 

Edited by Belgian biker

I almost rear ended a lady when she moved to the left of the lane to give a motorcyclist space to pass on the right.

Now there is another thing one have to think of when motorcycles are in the vacinity.

I almost rear ended a lady when she moved to the left of the lane to give a motorcyclist space to pass on the right.

Now there is another thing one have to think of when motorcycles are in the vacinity.

Also nearly happened to me.  I've also nearly taken out a cyclist passing on left when making space for motorcycle passing on right so understand the driver's dilemma! It's just bad timing unfortunately.