Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Few things are getting to me.

Pedestrians.  One fellow walking with a few buckets walking in the middle of the path refusing to even budge for other pedestrians.  As I passed this MFSOB he walked into my path.  So I took action.  I knocked one of his buckets out of his hands and just carried on.  I heard applause and when I looked ahead a few ladies were elated by my action.  I almost broke my pinky, but it can grow back into position.  One lady said something of the man being very rude.  And I have to agree.

But the past few weeks I have seen an increase of pedestrians that will not try to share the pathways.  Either shared or the one bike path that I get on my commute.

Then... Was almost taken out by a fat ass in a Colt bakkie.  He decided while I was crossing that he can take off.  I crossed the line on a green and the light turned orange while I was crossing and this twat decided to take off.  Me in his way.  So I stopped and asked him what he was thinking.  Light still red for him, then got onto the sidewalk.  Just wish I had my GoPro there.

For as far as I know you have to wait for cross traffic to clear infront of you.  Then you can start driving.

And I felt very kaak.  Helped a dude that threw his gears.

Front jockey, only the right hand plate left.  Rear jockey is there, but packed with gunk.  Helped him to get the chain back onto the sprocket. and got his front gear on the middle chain ring. 

Is was a humbling situation for me.  There I am, thinking of how to replace my chain this weekend, and this guy does not even have a proper setup to commute with.

So was just a wake up call again.  I am so privileged to have spent time watching what my uncle and cousin did while working on my bikes.  So most of the things I can do.  I have access to a wonderful community based website with a wealth of knowledge.

I have access to youtube if I struggle with something.  And after years of investing in tools I have most tools that I need to fix my bikes. So I feel sorry for the guy cycling without the basic know how on how to get the gears working again.  What is needed to get the gears to go up and down.  And I might struggle to get the oil off my hands, but in the 5 minutes I helped the guy telling him what to do next time, was worth it.  Now I know that one more guy at least can help himself a little bit more.

Today I learned that a 29er mtb tube will fit into a roadie wheel in an emergency. To the guy who works at cycle lab, I really hope you made it home.

Today I learned that a 29er mtb tube will fit into a roadie wheel in an emergency. To the guy who works at cycle lab, I really hope you made it home.

What colour bike was he on ?

• 2 weeks later...

I commuted to work this morning!   :thumbup:

All 2.2km of it.  I've been walking, but overslept this morning so decided to dust the bike off and see how it goes - haven't been on it since beginning Oct last year due to an injury.  Took it easy and was fine.  

And the best part was, I stopped at all the lights and there were two other cyclists that kept jumping them and I would keep catching up to them.

Almost got run over by a bakkie yesterday on my way home, he turned left right behind a small truck which turned left. I went between the truck and small bakkie, at a slow pace on a steep-ish uphill. Kind of did not see/hear the bakkie being there. We had a bit of a shouting match. Kind of feel like an idiot now, but learned to be more aware of the traffic and rather stop if unsure.

ON a lighter note, I learned that commuting by SS is not that much slower, but somehow feels like a lot more work (may need to change the ratios a bit, spinning out way to soon on the 34x18t on my 26")

This morning, Pretoria, Lynnwood Road near Gen L Botha, some idiot rock truck lost a few pebbles. Almost killed myself. But saw that they started cleaning it up round 11 today

My commute home yesterday was very abruptly cut short by a pedestrian who decided that running across the traffic was a great idea. Braking as hard as I could I could not stop in time. The lady in question was clearly as tough as a buffalo as she promptly got up, dusted herself off and ran off ??

I was still standing there my bike still in the road and she was gone. The front rim snapped, wheel is totaled  :blink: .. 1 week to go to the Argus

post-3399-0-29721200-1425024007_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the wheel dude, at least it wasn't a broken bone a week before CTCC

Been there done that, not a week before though was more like a month but was a severe break requiring a titanium plate and 10 screws

Sorry about the wheel dude, at least it wasn't a broken bone a week before CTCC

Been there done that, not a week before though was more like a month but was a severe break requiring a titanium plate and 10 screws

Yeah, thanks guys. Other than the totaled wheel, nothing much else damaged thankfully. I landed on my feet in this whole process, my unicycle bailing skills really helping out (aka. skills learnt while bailing off my unicycle) :D  .However the pins on my pedals did take some skin off my left knee.

Getting a new wheel hopefully today, or very early next week. I was going to do a training ride for the Argus this weekend, guess I'll carbo-load on some beers and have a good braai instead.