Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you're ok??? And your bike?

Perfectly fine thanks.. I was about to turn infront of the driver at a mini-circle but I saw the driver wasn't looking at me, (even though I had been indicating for 100m with outstretched arm approaching the intersection that I am turning right.) so my hands were prepped on the brakes and true as bob she lurched forward just as I turned in. I hit the brakes hard, then the said driver noticed me and stopped. Both standing still, driver apologised and I got back into motion. 

I have probably cycled to work close to 100 times so this type of incident doesn't surprise me anymore. Typical South African drivers are not observant enough, drivers get so used to just looking out for cars and trucks. The brain processes any bike/motorbike/pedestrian as irrelevant information. That is part of the theory that more bicycles on the road would actually make cycling safer. They also made mention of that effect on the GCN show this week, apparently in NZ the stats proved this theory correct.

On Monday I had an incident with a guy on a motorbike.  Was waiting and then just drove out in front of me traveling in the same direction as I am.  Not sure wether he saw me or not.  But then he also started drifting to the right of the road closing my path as I was about to overtake him again.  I first wistled at him but he could not hear me with his old motorbike making too much noise.  Then I just shouted out at the top of my voice.  He got such a fright he almost lost control of his motorbike.  I think he spent then next few minutes on wondering where the hell I came from and where he can change his underwear.

Had first flat on second day of commuting and got a lift home from another commuter. On my way to the MyCiti stop someone pulled over and gave me ride to work. He normally also commutes. What a beautiful world. 

But what I've learnt is that devil thorns also puncture Gatorskins. I hear everyone about slime in the tube and a liner in the tyre. Should I? Do you? 

In The Netherlands we don't get thorns... 

Had first flat on second day of commuting and got a lift home from another commuter. On my way to the MyCiti stop someone pulled over and gave me ride to work. He normally also commutes. What a beautiful world. 

But what I've learnt is that devil thorns also puncture Gatorskins. I hear everyone about slime in the tube and a liner in the tyre. Should I? Do you? 

TIA - This Is Africa...

That's why MTB... I've tried sealant in my road bike once, but all the sealant just spurted out at supersonic speed. Think tyre liners will help, but other people complain about the extra weight, and some had trouble where the liner pinched the tube.

You could have been unlucky though, my experience of CT cycling is not much, but the roads are in far better nick than up here in "rural" Gauteng.

I have never found slime to work in a road bike. The tyre pressure is too high and therefore the sealant just squirts out. A tyre liner should help.

My rigid can't take tubeless, so it's got both liners and sealant.

Liners might have been enough, but my lack of talent when I climb up onto pavements sometimes causes snakebites - so sealant is just an extra safety measure

Yesterday, I saw in my peripheral a white car pass just inches from me. I knocked on the passenger window to make my presence known. The driver put her phone down (Texting and driving) then told me to FKOFF! 

Things were said :devil:

Yesterday, I saw in my peripheral a white car pass just inches from me. I knocked on the passenger window to make my presence known. The driver put her phone down (Texting and driving) then told me to FKOFF! 

Things were said :devil:

My moermeter sal ook in die rooi wees. Best of all, she's probably telling everybody that will listen about the rude cyclist that snuck up on her.

Rather a bit of extra weight than getting on my knees and patch the rubber before I even had a coffee. I may be Dutch, but my tyre patching skills still ain't much. 

Rather a bit of extra weight than getting on my knees and patch the rubber before I even had a coffee. I may be Dutch, but my tyre patching skills still ain't much. 

It's because you're Dutch that your patching skills aren't up to scratch yet... Cycling here will change that quickly ;)

My rigid can't take tubeless, so it's got both liners and sealant.

Liners might have been enough, but my lack of talent when I climb up onto pavements sometimes causes snakebites - so sealant is just an extra safety measure

Getting my rigid tonight... can't wait!

Have not had too many punctures in all the years of commuting.  Had two spare tubes and two gas cannisters in my toolkit.  An extra foot pump in the office.  Should I puncture to work I would just replace the tube, get to work and then fix the puncture either there or later at home.  I will just pump the wheel up to 8 bar for a better ride home.

Been contemplating whether or not I should start commuting to work and back again, just to get some extra km's in. Then there's the thought that I could get bike-jacked, not that I've got the fanciest bike around, but there's still a possibility.