Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Stoopid scummersmet-wess people who cant understand it or think they are above the law! also took me the larger part of 6 years to "understand" it. EVERYWHERE else in the country people know how to drive around a traffic circle the correct way but no these okes just go, they dont even pretend to slow down if they know they are on the other driver's right! in fact a 4 way stop will be a million times more efficient!

Same with Pretoria people.  If they are from the "disadvantaged" with their BMW X5 or BFU SUV they do not care about the rules as they are entitled to do what they want.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a good experience on the road this morning with a truck.

Coming down Frans Conradie towards the circle, caught him by the robots of Frans Conradie and tierberg roads. Not enough space for a truck and me in the same lane. He stayed about 30m behind me for about 700m until he was able to pass in the other lane.

Gave him a thumbs up to say thanks, wish more people could drive like this.

Coming down Frans Conradie towards the circle, caught him by the robots of Frans Conradie and tierberg roads. Not enough space for a truck and me in the same lane. He stayed about 30m behind me for about 700m until he was able to pass in the other lane.

It's amazing what that thumbs up does - not only for the truck that's just gone past you, but the other vehicles still behind you. Wave thanks to one car and suddenly all the cars passing you will give you space. It gets a little tiring after a while, and it should be the rule, not the exception, but if that is what I need to do to get space and show my appreciation, then so be it.

It's amazing what that thumbs up does - not only for the truck that's just gone past you, but the other vehicles still behind you. Wave thanks to one car and suddenly all the cars passing you will give you space. It gets a little tiring after a while, and it should be the rule, not the exception, but if that is what I need to do to get space and show my appreciation, then so be it.

I'm always especially grateful when a truck or bus gives me space.

I'll try wave thanks if possible, but also like to try remember the company and registration (or at least part of it) and then contact the company and tell them too - hopefully it gets back to the drivers and spreads.

I experience this over and over and again myself.  :thumbup:

I'm off to a decent start...second day in the office, and second day of commuting...

Nice, lucky you.

I'll be (hopefully) back on my bike after a final check by my neurologist and physio on the 11th.

Seeing cyclists whilst driving in to work makes me very envious. And there are plenty about at the moment early (0530). Although very few are commuting, most are still on leave by the looks of it.

Keep up the good work!

Yip, and the wind pushed me most of the way  :thumbup:

But going home might be another story

I had side-/cross-wind most of the way.

Looks like it's going to be more of that, plus rain, on the way home.

I had side-/cross-wind most of the way.

Looks like it's going to be more of that, plus rain, on the way home.

Wind - 30 km/h?  Try cycling into the teeth of a 45 km/ h south-easter for the whole commute!  Would take the rain though!

Wind - 30 km/h?  Try cycling into the teeth of a 45 km/ h south-easter for the whole commute!  Would take the rain though!

My phone said the wind is 16km/h now, but it's calmed down a bit, so maybe around 20 or so.

You can keep your southeaster thanks. :P

Actually a lovely day today here in Munich.  A tad cooler than yesterday so cycled in about -2 or so but will go up to 12 and sunny.  Must say it is quite a thing to cycle on your own in pitch darkness in the evening through a forest.  Especially if you are not fit and at the end of your energy reserves.