Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

summer is here so i would like to buy good quality (not necessarily expensive) waterproof jacket in case i get caught in the rain on my way to work :blush:. so what jacket do you guys and girls swear by?

I have found this to be quite good for the price. Folds up nice and small, good visibility on the road and fully waterproof.

http://www.weardirect.co.za/fluorescent-yellow-vizi-shell

http://www.weardirect.co.za/sites/weardirect.co.za/files/imagecache/product_small/Vizi%20Shell%20Front%20400x400.jpg

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found this to be quite good for the price. Folds up nice and small, good visibility on the road and fully waterproof.

http://www.weardirect.co.za/fluorescent-yellow-vizi-shell

http://www.weardirect.co.za/sites/weardirect.co.za/files/imagecache/product_small/Vizi%20Shell%20Front%20400x400.jpg

fully water proof, or just water repellent? Cos I've been caught in showers where my "water repellent" jacket just turns out to be another layer of uselessness... 

fully water proof, or just water repellent? Cos I've been caught in showers where my "water repellent" jacket just turns out to be another layer of uselessness...

Well to be honest I haven't yet used it in pouring rain yet but it is a slightly plasticky material and the sweat does form little droplets on the inside of the fabric. I will do a hosepipe test for you when I get home if you like!

With the gauteng summer rain I just use a windproof jacket for commuting. It's not cold, pouring water may run in by the neck anyway - so my logic is just to keep the wind off me.

I'm more scared of hail.

Whahahaha

how? please enlighten me :eek:

asb01_4-25-12.jpg

Exactly like that.

With the very few times that I have been caught in the rain, i just rather keep a plastic bag folded small and compact in my bag. If needed make holes prior to storing in bag.

I keep 2 of the thinker types bags, like ones that you get at musica or mrp home? and use that to cover everything inside my bag (laptop, electronics, clothes, etc)

Edited by Gandalf

Exactly like that.

With the very few times that I have been caught in the rain, i just rather keep a plastic bag folded small and compact in my bag. If needed make holes prior to storing in bag.

I keep 2 of the thinker types bags, like ones that you get at musica or mrp home? and use that to cover everything inside my bag (laptop, electronics, clothes, etc)

:w00t: . will buy plastic bags at pick n pay! problem solved :whistling:

With the gauteng summer rain I just use a windproof jacket for commuting. It's not cold, pouring water may run in by the neck anyway - so my logic is just to keep the wind off me.

I'm more scared of hail.

I welcome the rain. I get so sweaty and hot it doesn't make much difference to me. Lightning and hail are definitely issues. Not sure how to deal with them.

I welcome the rain. I get so sweaty and hot it doesn't make much difference to me. Lightning and hail are definitely issues. Not sure how to deal with them.

Hail is a problem.

*Lightning is only a problem if you are black; if not, you're safe.

*Taken from comment by a KZN MEC:

"We will do an investigation and talk to the department of science and technology on what is the cause of the lightning, and if it only happened to the previously disadvantaged as I have never seen any white people being struck by lightning" said Dube. She was visiting Mpumazi in Eshowe where seven people from two families died after being struck by lightning on Sunday. "Scientists from the department could perhaps help us and come up with instruments that could help community members protect themselves against lightning. The department has dealt with floods and fires, but lightning is new to us," said Dube.

Hail is a problem.

*Lightning is only a problem if you are black; if not, you're safe.

*Taken from comment by a KZN MEC:

"We will do an investigation and talk to the department of science and technology on what is the cause of the lightning, and if it only happened to the previously disadvantaged as I have never seen any white people being struck by lightning" said Dube. She was visiting Mpumazi in Eshowe where seven people from two families died after being struck by lightning on Sunday. "Scientists from the department could perhaps help us and come up with instruments that could help community members protect themselves against lightning. The department has dealt with floods and fires, but lightning is new to us," said Dube.

This has got to be from Hayibo? Please tell me it was satire?

This has got to be from Hayibo? Please tell me it was satire?

Sadly I am pretty sure it was real. Just like the other guy who said the reason the dams are not full is because the old regime made them too big and therefore they never get full.