Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm keen on cycling to Midstream from Wonderboom. Car route is through the city, get onto N14, N1 then onto Brakfontein (30km). Freeway obviously no-go. Old Joburg has a nice wide gravel shoulder, but so many potential suspects wander along the same road... If I try to avoid the CBD (also lots of potentials) and use Botha from Fountains (another issue), my route becomes 40km, which is more or less 2hours...

Somebody is obviously going to tell me to man up, but muggings aren't fun... Otherwise some route advice will also be nice?

I cycle from rietfontein through sunnyside_ botha ave then nelmapuis road,it is not that bad

I cycle from rietfontein through sunnyside_ botha ave then nelmapuis road,it is not that bad

Thanx. I'll probably have a go Saturday. Have to be at work, wifey's car is in for repairs. She'll have cabin fever badly if she's alone the whole day.

My valley. My trip used to be Wonderboom South to the Pretoria CBD, but the last year I used to divert via Brooklyn.

Learnt the meaning of appreciation.

Last 200m of of commute home I was joined by a local gardener on his road bike.I noticed his pedals were shot ,so I gave him some old ones I had lying around the house ,plus some gloves.If it wasn't for his ears his smile would have gone round his head.

I also noticed that he does not have any bar tape and I wondered if any Cape Town hubbers had some old tape lying around which they are not using.

Learnt the meaning of appreciation.Last 200m of of commute home I was joined by a local gardener on his road bike.I noticed his pedals were shot ,so I gave him some old ones I had lying around the house ,plus some gloves.If it wasn't for his ears his smile would have gone round his head.I also noticed that he does not have any bar tape and I wondered if any Cape Town hubbers had some old tape lying around which they are not using.

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32242808771.html

This is what I use. Only problem is it takes 6 weeks or so to get here.

Perhaps you should use R55, get onto Olifants weg then onto Lever Road. Or get onto Samrand Avenue and then get onto Rooihiuskraal road which becomes Lever Road after Valley view estate i think 

I thought of going down Rooihuiskraal road to Samrand, straight over Samrand onto Blue valley estate and cross over Olifants there. From there take a left past Vodaworld etc onto New Road. This will keep me out of most taxi's ways and not too much traffic...seemingly.

According to maps its about a 20km one way trip so should be nice for a newbie commuter.

My valley. My trip used to be Wonderboom South to the Pretoria CBD, but the last year I used to divert via Brooklyn.

i just don't like cycling in duncan street-i've used this route for commuting the past 30 years

i just don't like cycling in duncan street-i've used this route for commuting the past 30 years

Yip, had one or two close calls there.  But then again, had many all around Pretoria.

Since Friday we have had sporadic water flow at work.

Decided to commute home, but when I walked into the bath room I had to make a u-turn.  We have not had water since 11H00 today.  And some idiot decided to take one huge dump.  One of those that can be classified as toxic.

So I will be taking the car home.  I can hold my breath, but not for that long, and not sure that we will have water tomorrow.

And also got a notice that we might not have water at home tonight / tomorrow morning.  So feeling really pissed off at the moment.  I want to cycle home, but due to the failing infrastructure I can't dare changing clothing.

Update:  Cycled home.  Changed in a vacant office.  Took a little longer road home...  So turned out to be a bit of fun.  And we have water at home.  Brown in color, but we have water.

Edited by François Marais

Thanx. I'll probably have a go Saturday. Have to be at work, wifey's car is in for repairs. She'll have cabin fever badly if she's alone the whole day.

Went through Rietfontein up to Soutpansberg, then through Sunnyside, Botha to Midstream. Scummyside was a breeze in the morning, but very busy late afternoon when I went home. But it was still a lot of fun.

Things I've seen (probably mentioned already):

• It's fun. I want to do it again.
  • MTB is a must. Road bike is fine if you can plan your route, but obviously if you have to be somewhere specific that is not always possible. Hopping sidewalks on narrow roads is heavy work.
  • Left my clothes at work, but forgot about underwear (tactical error).
  • Bridges are scary places.
  • SUV drivers are oblivious about the width of their vehicles.
  • Going home is downhill :clap:
  • Roadie peletons are scary, especially those that rely on the person in front to be everybody's eyes.
  • Pedestrians almost always say hi.
Edited by rickus_viljoen

Just a word of caution.  Meiring Naude this morning a guy tried to sneak up on me while I was removing my arm warmers. Just before the bike path section.  So please be alert...

Just a word of caution.  Meiring Naude this morning a guy tried to sneak up on me while I was removing my arm warmers. Just before the bike path section.  So please be alert...

Pepperspray first, ask questions later...

Going up to Kings or coming down to the Sasol? 

Not good to hear that.....

Going up to Kings or coming down to the Sasol?

Not good to hear that.....

Up to Kings

Think it is due to the CSIR construction work going on. Feeling less at ease cycling there