Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Lunch is always wrapped in a seperate plastic bag.

And make sure the bag seals.  Used an old Spar bag with a hole in it.  Helped to keep all the juicy bits outside of the bag :)

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I've learned, and learn every time again: 

Some liquid dripping out of the lunch container onto my clean clothes in my bag. Soup today. Hard learner.  

Oh no !! Hope you got something sorted there ...

so i decided to commute to work this morning. we dont have showers at work and man i was sweating bucket loads this morning.

how do you guys and girls get rid of the sweat? last thing i want is my boss/ colleagues to start complaining about my smell  :whistling:

Edited by Mokgaga

so i decided to commute to work this morning. we dont have showers at work and man i was sweating bucket loads this morning.

how do you guys and girls get rid of the sweat? last thing i want is my boss/ colleagues to start complaining about my smell  :whistling:

Yup... sweating loads is a sign you had a good ride, but then you also need a good shower...

You can get yourself a fancy quick-dry towel thingy from a sportsmans warehouse or such http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/sea-to-summit-dry-lite-towel-large.

Soak it in the basin when you get to work. Freshen up in the cubicle. Use plenty anti-perspirant.

And then dont forget to wash the towel (with soap) after you have dressed, and hang it up somewhere. Take it home on the weekend for a machine wash.

That is what others say works ok. I am lucky to have showers at work...

Edited by ByronH

All you need are 2 things

1. A little extra time. Ride to arrive at least 20 minutes before you have to start working. Ride so you slow down for the last 5 or 10 minutes of your ride to start cooling down. Then when you get to work, have a cup of coffee and sit down, read the paper or fiddle on The Bikehub (what do you think I'm doing right now). Basically, you allow the sweating to stop first, before you clean up.

2. A basin with privacy where you can close the door. Water in the basin. Undress. Use a wash cloth to wipe yourself from head to toe. Dry with a towel. Apply anti perspirant. get dressed. Ready for work. This is called "bath in a basin".

The secret is to not to clean up or shower immediately after you stop, or you will still be sweating afterwards. 

By the sounds of things most of our commuters are CPT based, understandable. Any JHB Bike lane users here? CBD and surrounds?

This week I celebrate my 1000th km of commuting. Bought the old hardtail a half link chain and smaller gear to say congrats. Been great. Strong like bull!

At 1900 km commuting for the year. Randburg - Sandton. Still have another week to try to make that 2000 for the year  :clap:

I'm also one of the few JHB commuters :) All in all, Strava tells me I've done 2411km this year so far.

Like Cat-I, I do Randburg to Sandton. Also, have only been caught in one storm, but after looking at the traffic and robots during that storm, I was very glad to be soaked on my bike. My colleagues who used their cars took more than 1.5 hours to get home that day.

1. A little extra time. Ride to arrive at least 20 minutes before you have to start working. Ride so you slow down for the last 5 or 10 minutes of your ride to start cooling down. Then when you get to work, have a cup of coffee and sit down, read the paper or fiddle on The Bikehub (what do you think I'm doing right now). Basically, you allow the sweating to stop first, before you clean up.

2. A basin with privacy where you can close the door. Water in the basin. Undress. Use a wash cloth to wipe yourself from head to toe. Dry with a towel. Apply anti perspirant. get dressed. Ready for work. This is called "bath in a basin".

The secret is to not to clean up or shower immediately after you stop, or you will still be sweating afterwards. 

Ya, the whole sweating after the shower thing... My face pours for a while after the shower.

So, I actually have a relatively cold shower, and then make sure I stand in front of the fan whilst getting dressed.

You got to be kidding me ... right  :whistling: ?

Very true. That is basically what I also do (after sprinting all the way right to front door  :ph34r: ).  Chill.  Actually start doing some of my admin related stuff and as soon as I noticed the sweating has stop I go and clean up (basically as you described, except I use wet wipes).

I also arrived at work very wet this morning ................... but then again CT saw some great rain and a properly flooded road network on part of out route in ........... I also guess intentionally riding under water falling off buildings in torrents is also not a great way to stay dry (But have fun yes)

Shoes went into the server cabinet ... hoping they are dry by the time I go home.

I commute around 28km return trip daily so I must be close to 5,000 km for the year... i think I missed (using car or scooter) about 10 trips this year due to meetings.

Made me wonder about my commuting mileage per year. I've got a 32km round trip. Apparently there are 250 working days in 2016, minus roughly 10 days of no commuting due to illness or injury. I'd say I've done at least 7600 km in commuting alone for 2016!

I also arrived at work very wet this morning ................... but then again CT saw some great rain and a properly flooded road network on part of out route in ........... I also guess intentionally riding under water falling off buildings in torrents is also not a great way to stay dry (But have fun yes)

Shoes went into the server cabinet ... hoping they are dry by the time I go home.

just checked .................... shoes still wet, but certainly not soaking like they were this morning.

just checked .................... shoes still wet, but certainly not soaking like they were this morning.

Next time stuff it with lots of newspapers for the first couple of hours.

Same here. kit been lying under my desk and is still completely soaked. See you on the cycle lane!

Respect to all the Capies that cycled this morning.......luckily I had a couple of boxes of wine to deliver.......so the bike was out. I stayed dry!