Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I often do the shouted "Oy Oy" and laugh maniacally when they jump three feet in the air.

Most take it well, I usually get a big grin and a wave.

I actually am finding that most pedestrians do not take kindly to me riding close to them, even when I have got their attention using my bell, and try to keep my distance... They normally protest with an over-exaggerated 'fright', and then even cuss when I pass or do the usual 'haibo'. 

Also motorists not using their indicators... eish. and then they get angry with me when I point out they not using their indicator. One has even shouted after me, 'next time, I'll ride over you'. Naturally she was an entitled, new-money BMW driver.

Maybe I'm just a cycle-hog though... despite trying to be courteous. I need to keep a very close eye on my attitude whilst I'm on the bike. Otherwise I'll become just as stressed on my bike as i get in the car. Which is not worth it. Rather let the chunks of metal ride into each other than me.

I actually am finding that most pedestrians do not take kindly to me riding close to them, even when I have got their attention using my bell, and try to keep my distance... They normally protest with an over-exaggerated 'fright', and then even cuss when I pass or do the usual 'haibo'. 

Also motorists not using their indicators... eish. and then they get angry with me when I point out they not using their indicator. One has even shouted after me, 'next time, I'll ride over you'. Naturally she was an entitled, new-money BMW driver.

Maybe I'm just a cycle-hog though... despite trying to be courteous. I need to keep a very close eye on my attitude whilst I'm on the bike. Otherwise I'll become just as stressed on my bike as i get in the car. Which is not worth it. Rather let the chunks of metal ride into each other than me.

If any pedestrian gets pissed off 'cos I'm riding a bike responsibly on a shared usage path, I tend to remind them that bikes have just as much right to be there, so they should be aware.

I've had a pedestrian walking in the middle of the road get upset at me for riding my bike in the road!

She said something like " Why don't you have a car?"

Try not to get too upset. You don't want to lower yourself to their level.

If any pedestrian gets pissed off 'cos I'm riding a bike responsibly on a shared usage path, I tend to remind them that bikes have just as much right to be there, so they should be aware.

I've had a pedestrian walking in the middle of the road get upset at me for riding my bike in the road!

She said something like " Why don't you have a car?"

Try not to get too upset. You don't want to lower yourself to their level.

haha.... what a response from the road-walker! She dont even have money for a bike. Perhaps she was aiming for a Road Accident Fund Claim walking in the middle of the road.

I try not to lower myself but sometimes these motorists and walkers really, really tempt me  :devil:

I had a mate who accidentally clipped a drunk walker (in his car) using his side mirror.

When the police arrived, all of a sudden there were 6 other walkers telling the cops how they were also clipped and want to make a claim... :clap:

best thing I have found is to just laugh at those that get upset / agro ...... and then ride away while doing this.

I saw a clip similar to this, the driver got out and wanted to hit the cyclist and he rode off, the guy chased on foot, missed his step, and went down face first on the sidewalk.

Never trust a pedestrian, never ever! Their movements are about as predictable as Donald Trump. Just learnt that the hard way (literally) going down Wynberg Main Road. She saw me coming I even shouted but she clearly had no concept of speed and distance. I'm sorry but I didn't even check if she was OK was more concerned with my bike, just flooked her, put my chain back on and went on my way. Left hip is eina!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

best thing I have found is to just laugh at those that get upset / agro ...... and then ride away while doing this.

I like to smile and clap while the aggressor rides/drives/walks away! 

Never trust a pedestrian, never ever! Their movements are about as predictable as Donald Trump. Just learnt that the hard way (literally) going down Wynberg Main Road. She saw me coming I even shouted but she clearly had no concept of speed and distance. I'm sorry but I didn't even check if she was OK was more concerned with my bike, just flooked her, put my chain back on and went on my way. Left hip is eina!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It was my thought this morning exactly!

Edit: luckily I didn't get taken out, but 1 close calls the last couple of days.

Edited by hayleyearth

I saw a clip similar to this, the driver got out and wanted to hit the cyclist and he rode off, the guy chased on foot, missed his step, and went down face first on the sidewalk.

From about 2:49

Gees bro, that is so hectic... that guy's gonna have a coronary... is it really worth it? A question I ask myself everytime I am tempted to engage in roadrage.

At the end of the day, roadrage is often about the silliest little 'inconvenience', whilst our loved ones sit at home waiting for us to return (and they really dont care if we won the battle, just that we home...)

The other problem is that motorist will now have an even more tainted attitude towards cyclists (if he survives)... I already chat to people here at work, and some of them have shared how they 'loathe' cyclists on the roads.

Edited by ByronH

Worked late last night, took the bike and bus home and did the last bit home from the station ... the roads are a little tight where I live, with some speed bumps and traffic circles thrown in for good measure ....... ended up "dicing"  a big cruizer type motorbike, lots of fun to be had, the turns, circles and speedbumps is where I could make up some time before being dropped on the straights :P

Worked late last night, took the bike and bus home and did the last bit home from the station ... the roads are a little tight where I live, with some speed bumps and traffic circles thrown in for good measure ....... ended up "dicing"  a big cruizer type motorbike, lots of fun to be had, the turns, circles and speedbumps is where I could make up some time before being dropped on the straights :P

Excellent work!

At a T-junction or any intersection... take a few seconds longer to make sure there are NO cars turning into T-junction while turning right and passing a line of cars stuck in traffic.

On Tuesday night in the pouring rain I looked left, looked right while maintaining a bit of speed... saw no cars and hooked a right. As I did this the line of cars must have blocked my view of the car turning into the T-junction so I hit the right front bumper and rolled over the bonnet onto the ground.... 

The lady opened her window and chirped I should have waited... and she was right and I apologised. She drove off... clearly not worried about me nor the paint I removed from her bumper :)

I was lucky it wasn't a van or something higher as I would have hit it head on... but perhaps I then would have spotted it :)

Bike fine and I was fine... just hit my shin against my pedal! So off I went too...

So lesson learned... Make 100 percent sure the intersection is clear even if you know the chance of a car turning into that intersection is minimal... a few seconds isn't worth the risk...

First crash in 2.5 years of commuting... not too bad ;)