Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

I know all too well about that, Sundays league race we had, all 120km of it was while it was peppering down, even our "warm up" was in the rain, but a commute I just can't do.

My scope for riding over weekends have been limited of late, so I take the opportunities I get, which at present is commuting.

Anyway, yesterday it wasn't bucketing down. but it certainly was wet. More water being kicked up from the road than anything else. I was drenched in about 5 minutes, and from there on it was really fun. I don't know why, but I always enjoy riding in the rain, once I've gotten over the initial shock of the cold. The traffic was crazy, and I flew past cars for pretty much all the way. It was a good day to ride.

Today however, I am back on the train.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that feeling

My scope for riding over weekends have been limited of late, so I take the opportunities I get, which at present is commuting.

Anyway, yesterday it wasn't bucketing down. but it certainly was wet. More water being kicked up from the road than anything else. I was drenched in about 5 minutes, and from there on it was really fun. I don't know why, but I always enjoy riding in the rain, once I've gotten over the initial shock of the cold. The traffic was crazy, and I flew past cars for pretty much all the way. It was a good day to ride.

Today however, I am back on the train.

I know! It's fun hey? Somehow it reminds me of my childhood playing in the rain as a kid. Fun times & good memories.

Today I decided to go fully waterproof for the Cape Town commute (only about 5km), and, to be honest, it really wasn't worth wearing waterproof pants. Far superior is short rugby shorts and a rainproof top, or else a t-shirt and something warm inside the bag! The pants are just heavy, and Cape Town never gets so bad that you can't keep your whole body warm with a cosy jacket/wool jersey.

Do not automatically assume that the rainy season is over and remove the fenders after experiencing a few days of sun.

Then waking up (this morning) with rain coming down and attempting to put the fenders back on in semi darkness, trying not to wake the family.

Handle the weather like you handle the krismis tree. leave it standing for 6 months of the year and be prepared :)

• 2 weeks later...

Any commuting from Durbanville to Century City?

Yup! Go over Tiekie, then through Burgundy Estates to Bosmansdam Road.

Doc just booked me two weeks off exercise, so once up, I'll start the trek again.

I have found that riding in traffic is as much telling cars what to do than to anticipate.

Show them when to go and hold an arm out when they need to wait... Remember they see you as an unpredictable entity like you do! So show them you're awake and you'll take your lane and turn. Indicate and look drivers in the eye. Always stop at lights and stop streets. And ALWAYS SAY THANK YOU to drivers who are considerate. They'll be far more likely to do so next time!

Loved my commute to a conference on Saturday morning... Best idea I had, and felt so much better than my coworkers!

Yup! Go over Tiekie, then through Burgundy Estates to Bosmansdam Road.

Doc just booked me two weeks off exercise, so once up, I'll start the trek again.

Then i'd like to join you now and then. Is it safe roads and traffic wise not too hectic? (I'm more a mountain guy)..

Then i'd like to join you now and then. Is it safe roads and traffic wise not too hectic? (I'm more a mountain guy)..

No problem, PM me your number, then when I start up again, I'll give you a shout.

The worst part is going over the N7 and the last stretch getting in to Century City, and then in the afternoons, getting out of Century City until just past the Edgemead Road turn off. But I make sure cars see me and know what I plan on doing.

No problem, PM me your number, then when I start up again, I'll give you a shout.

The worst part is going over the N7 and the last stretch getting in to Century City, and then in the afternoons, getting out of Century City until just past the Edgemead Road turn off. But I make sure cars see me and know what I plan on doing.

Can I commute with you if I wear a Speedo, puleeeease ?

As long as I'm infront, then it's all good! :P

You realise that it does not sound good if you put it that way :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...

Today I learnt that if things can go wrong, they ALL tend to go wrong!

- Overslept this morning and was in a rush to leave since I was meeting up with a buddy

- Forgot my puncture kit and pump in my car at the office last night

- Rode over a broken beer bottle - saw it too late and then couldn't avoid it

- Got a slow puncture so had to stop - fortunately my buddy let me use his pump and had managed to only have to pump the wheel up twice to get in to work

- Get to work and shower is broken, so have to drive to gym

- And then to top it all off, I have a white shirt on and packed the wrong color underwear :blush:

But was still a blast!