Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

for some reason the things on my bike does not seem to last.

Did 800 km and need to replace the whole drive train now. Seems that commuting is just a great way to punish your bike, but it is worth it. Just in the saving of Petrol and wear on my car... the fun outweighs the cost.

And I must say I hate using the motorbike to get to work. Getting stuck in traffic on a bike is a lot of work...

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I learnt that if things can go wrong, they ALL tend to go wrong!

- Overslept this morning and was in a rush to leave since I was meeting up with a buddy , this is good for high cardio training

- Forgot my puncture kit and pump in my car at the office last night , always leave them in your bag or on your bike

- Rode over a broken beer bottle - saw it too late and then couldn't avoid it

- Got a slow puncture so had to stop - fortunately my buddy let me use his pump and had managed to only have to pump the wheel up twice to get in to work,this happens , good practice for race days

- Get to work and shower is broken, so have to drive to gym, not cool

- And then to top it all off, I have a white shirt on and packed the wrong color underwear :blush: very cool , pics please :wub:

But was still a blast!

for some reason the things on my bike does not seem to last.

Did 800 km and need to replace the whole drive train now. Seems that commuting is just a great way to punish your bike, but it is worth it. Just in the saving of Petrol and wear on my car... the fun outweighs the cost.

And I must say I hate using the motorbike to get to work. Getting stuck in traffic on a bike is a lot of work...

Build a SS , you can do a gizilion Km's on a drive train without any problems , and its cheaper to maintain

ditto underwear

Thats why you leave them at work. So, I have settled in to the new office and have been commuting 2-3 times a week. In my desk I keep:

- full set of toiletries

- 2 bath towels

- 2 pairs formal pants

- 4 formal shirts

- 2 set underwear

- 1 belt

- 1 pair formal shoes

Means I have minimal to carry when riding in.

I still carry my undies and shirt every day, but I have a set at work that stays there for emergencies. Also toiletries etc stays at th office, was the best thing I did.

But now my boss is being, erm, slightly more difficult, and I need to start toting my laptop to and fro every day. Carrying laptop, charger and the other usual kit is a schlep - I've actually weighed my bag, it's 12kg when loaded like that. Oh well, better training, right :D

I still carry my undies and shirt every day, but I have a set at work that stays there for emergencies. Also toiletries etc stays at th office, was the best thing I did.

But now my boss is being, erm, slightly more difficult, and I need to start toting my laptop to and fro every day. Carrying laptop, charger and the other usual kit is a schlep - I've actually weighed my bag, it's 12kg when loaded like that. Oh well, better training, right :D

I have to lug my laptop home tonight because my wife wants to watch some series that I have on it. Fortunately my laptop weighs in at 1.32 kgs. With the Targus XS backpack I dont really feel it. The extent of my backpack while commutting is a set of clean riding clothes and lunch when going to work, and the days dirty clothes going home, and laptop if neccessary.

That's waht you get for bugging your boss for a new laptop - he gave me a 17" behemoth that cost R30K, now I can't leave it at works as it's "a risk" ...

Maybe I should show him the posts on cyclists being attacked in Pta East ...

That's waht you get for bugging your boss for a new laptop - he gave me a 17" behemoth that cost R30K, now I can't leave it at works as it's "a risk" ...

Maybe I should show him the posts on cyclists being attacked in Pta East ...

Or get one of those locks that you can lock the lap top to your desk with

Who do you contact about all the missing drainage covers along the cycle path, almost saw my arse this morning, and yes Hairy I am now wearing my helmut while commuting to work :whistling:

So i commuted to work for the first time today.

What did i Learn,

1) My LBS F@cked up my Front Brake and something else which i cant put my finger on.

2) Cycling with a bag on your back that has steel toe cap boots in is TOTALLY different from the normal riding.

3) What a jol, the robots were out and i see all the frustrated people stuck in traffic and i think to myself, "That would've been you". i am the worst when i comes to traffic, no instead of my day starting off badly cause of traffic i'm on a high from the ride.

Who do you contact about all the missing drainage covers along the cycle path, almost saw my arse this morning, and yes Hairy I am now wearing my helmut while commuting to work :whistling:

Maybe tweet Helen Zille? Lucky for me I don't go through the Paarden Island area anymore. There were some major holes there the last time I went through there. My biggest issue is the pedestrians at the Mutual Station that can't look 10m in front of them at any given time, or look you in the eyes and still not 'see' you.

Drop Mycity and HZ a tweet .... those covers have been a joke since day one ... they keep getting stolen and there has been at least one incident that I know of where a rider has been seriously hurt and had a damaged bike

AWESOME .....need to hook up on the route ... any chance of swapping your helmut for a helmet?

What time do you normally pass Woodbridge Island in the evenings, will join you for you commute home. I leave work at 4.50pm and am normally home at 5.05pm. So can hook up any time after that. I'm down Kei Rd.