Don't buy from this Hubber

MTB MAN

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sell quite a bit on the hub and it comes down to what kind of a seller you want to be.

Even though I generally work on a first come first serve basis, there are a lot of chance takers who say they are interested and then I never hear from them again or they want to pay way too little for an already fair price. Generally I will hold the product for the first person who says I want it but have a question. But then he must commit and put the funds down or it goes to the next person in line.

At the end of the day, it is up to the seller to decide who he wants to sell the product to. Even though you said dibs, it does not mean that he should be ogliged to sell it to you. It may reflect on his future sales success, but then again he may just be interested in what he believes is the fastestg and surest sale.

I think posting this about the seller is a little pointless as it is gone and there are many other helmets out there to be bought. Not worth the effort.

Good luck, hope you get something!

wow quite a debate. allow me to add my 2c

the one thing I hate about the hub, is the absolute lack of integrity with BUYERS. I troll the classifieds often, looking at cool things I don't need and can't afford, but want anyway. If I had a rand for everytime I've seen the following comment thread, I'd be a millionaire:

OP: Item for sale, XX Rand

Commenter #1: Dibs!

Commenter #2: I'll definitely take it if #1 doesn't!!

Commenter #3: 3rd in line please, very keen!

Commenter #4 (a week or two later): Still for sale?

OP: yes still for sale!

O? what happened to the 3 guys that called "dibs", "definitely want it", "pm your bank details", "i'll take it", etc

Now in this case the buyer definitely did want to buy the helmet (as he's made clear by his post) but the point I'm making is if you, as a seller, "dibs" your products for every guy that's shown an interest / is negotiating postage with you, etc you could lose out on a lot of sales. As much as it sucks if someone has come up with the cold hard cash you take it, unless you have AGREED to hold something for someone for a period of time. Just because you call dibs, doesn't mean the seller has to give you dibs, we're not in play school here!

I hope that makes some sense...

quote"Just because you call dibs, doesn't mean the seller has to give you dibs"

I'm too broke to buy stuff most of the time, but if I say 'dibs', I'd better get dibs !

I have to stand in a queue for most things in my life !

I queue to use the atm, to board the plane, to buy **** at woolworths, to pay for parking, to get a coffee, an icecream, in at a club, at the busy bar... etc !

I am conditioned and expect to be treated in the same organised, orderly and rational way I conduct myself in this functioning society everyday !

If I am at the front of the queue, you can bet that I have worked to get there.

Don't F with me when I am there. Deal with me.

Its senseless to label the word "dibs" as "play school" !!! You should rather label actions. If my subsequent action is inadequate, label the action and deal with me by demanding performance.

"absolute lack of integrity with BUYERS"

Get real !. Fault finding is like window washing: the dirt is always on the other side!

Here's the deal: a queue doesn't work for one of two reasons

(1) Everybody thinks they are in front. That is chaos and no system exists.

(2) The SELLER doesn't know how to manage his sale ! A seller controls the sale. I will not dispute that. But, the control should be transparent and acknowledge all parties interests as well.

Your example is interesting. I kindly request a link to such an example.

Show me a link and I'll show you a bad seller ! 2 weeks without questions and open comment on the status and action of any buyers ?? Come on ... this seller sounds like the time waster.

I dibs. I am at the front of the queue. I announced this to the forum. I stay there until the seller announces otherwise to the forum. Simple !!

Edited by eggsovereasywithteandtoast

Eggsy - seriously? When you call dibs do you expect the seller to hang onto the product indefinitely until you make up your mind or when you call dibs does it mean "I'll take it". If so then call "I'll take it" and take it.

dibs has no place in buying and selling - its unfair to the seller.

I'm too broke to buy stuff most of the time, but if I say 'dibs', I'd better get dibs !

I have to stand in a queue for most things in my life !

I queue to use the atm, to board the plane, to buy **** at woolworths, to pay for parking, to get a coffee, an icecream, in at a club, at the busy bar... etc !

Drop the lavish lifestyle, dibs means squat, money paid for goods wanted is where it's at, the seller might also be in desperate need of some flying, clubbing and drinking money.

Edited by Dangle

Guest agteros

I dibs. I am at the front of the queue. I announced this to the forum. I stay there until the seller announces otherwise to the forum. Simple !!

The front of the queue is reserved for the first person that "shows me the money"

Dibs (right of first refusal) will only happen with a non-refundable deposit.

Ill take it all, expect for the Safari Suit!

I will never sell you one of my Safari Suits!. Socks die or run way to that island, but Safari Suits are timeless, Nukeproof and never go out of fashion. It is rumoured that even Obama always carries a few just in case of a nuclear attack. Here where I live you still see the "real" Safari Suit every day. This is the cuntry where Safari Suits came from originally and are still worn. When I wear my White longpant formal Safari Suit they call me "Doctor", aint that cool?

I'll ask admin to make the post a sticky topic. :thumbup:

Dont worry about that, the main ones keeping this alive are "sticky" enough!

Using the Test of the Reasonable Man, if such a thing exists on the Hub, would indicate that there is enough variety of opinion regarding both the meaning and respect for the term Dibs, that it is meaningless and merely an expression of intent by prospective buyers.

Key to understanding the OP's unhappiness in my opinion therefore, comes down to his use of the word "negotiating". While he was still negotiating, another buyer concluded a deal. i.e. firm offer and acceptance.

Let me give an example:

At the PMB World Cup late on Sunday afternoon as teams are starting to pack up, mechanics of at least one pro team are offering kit, tyres etc which were fitted but lightly or not used at the event, for sale rather than ship them home at great cost. In one case there is a crowd of guys negotiating with a mechanic regarding a sale of 2 x tyres not easily available locally, at least not cheaply. I enquire as to his asking price. While the crowd of negotiators is still negotiating, I pass 4 notes to the seller over their heads. Seller passes 2 x tyres to me. Deal done by means of firm offer being made (money to seller) and accepted (tyres to me). I walk away with tyres, negotiators stand around looking at each other as if their chamois has turned to sandpaper.

Key principle: Negotiating means the terms (including shipping) of the offer are still being finalised which means the resulting offer cannot have been made nor accepted. Hence no concluded sale. Unfortunate for OP but a fact of life.

Let me give an example:

At the PMB World Cup late on Sunday afternoon as teams are starting to pack up, mechanics of at least one pro team are offering kit, tyres etc which were fitted but lightly or not used at the event, for sale rather than ship them home at great cost. In one case there is a crowd of guys negotiating with a mechanic regarding a sale of 2 x tyres not easily available locally, at least not cheaply. I enquire as to his asking price. While the crowd of negotiators is still negotiating, I pass 4 notes to the seller over their heads. Seller passes 2 x tyres to me. Deal done by means of firm offer being made (money to seller) and accepted (tyres to me). I walk away with tyres, negotiators stand around looking at each other as if their chamois has turned to sandpaper.

:lol:

As an aside, what tyres were they?

Silence, I break it :angry: :lol: :lol:

:o

*finger retreats rapidly to a safe place…*