Moving to Roadbike from Mtb???????

Rob K

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

guys, chill, MTBers are supposed to be more relaxed...

Yeah, which is precisely why that piece from Sean Badenhorst is so disturbing.

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for the quick and passionate responses.

I certainly didn't mean to hit a nerve which clearly lies lurking here on the hub.

Apologies for that.

For what its worth I will keep the MTB and give the roadie a go and report back.

I did start training a week ago so hopefully will be up for the 94,7 in time.

Regards to all,

Rob

Nothing but playful banter on this thread - just giving you a friendly welcome, is all. All nerves are safe.

Clever choice on keeping the mtb and getting a road bike as well. I'm a died-in-the-wool mountain biker but finally bought a road bike a few months ago and haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face ever since.

In answer to one of your questions: yes a road bike's gearing is more taxing on the legs if you're used to the easy gearing of an mtb. If you're used to using the granny a lot, then look at a compact crank on the road bike.

Nothing but playful banter on this thread - just giving you a friendly welcome, is all. All nerves are safe.

Clever choice on keeping the mtb and getting a road bike as well. I'm a died-in-the-wool mountain biker but finally bought a road bike a few months ago and haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face ever since.

In answer to one of your questions: yes a road bike's gearing is more taxing on the legs if you're used to the easy gearing of an mtb. If you're used to using the granny a lot, then look at a compact crank on the road bike.

Or you could HTFU and develop those leg muscles!!!

I started riding a road bike a few months ago after vowing to never let the tar touch my wheels of my bicycle and I am enjoying it. Even did a road race. (I would have k@ked on a MTB though...)

I enjoy mountain biking because :

1) I can get out off the roads with all the "hustle-n-bustle" .

2) I can enjoy the fresh air not clogged up by car / truck fumes

3) The scenery is just awesome on most mountains

4) As a 4th reason I would say it's safer as there aren't any cars, but with the recent bike jackings I'm not so convinced

Anyway, if you do decide to make the switch then enjoy it and be safe on the road

I enjoy mountain biking because :

1) I can get out off the roads with all the "hustle-n-bustle" .

2) I can enjoy the fresh air not clogged up by car / truck fumes

3) The scenery is just awesome on most mountains

4) As a 4th reason I would say it's safer as there aren't any cars, but with the recent bike jackings I'm not so convinced

Anyway, if you do decide to make the switch then enjoy it and be safe on the road

Wise man, Rob K, and welcome to the Hub. Just do it. You'll soon adapt to everything and wonder why you rode a truck when you can have a sports car.

HAHA :P

My only concerns are :-

1. Will I manage with the taller gearing on a long climb and

2. Will I get used to the harder ride compared to the MTB?

1. It is definitely an adjustment from MTB gearing to Road gearing. Your legs will get used to it after a while. Just take it slow and tackle smaller hills and build up.

2. It is a harder ride, but a lot faster, so you don’t have time to worry about the bumps. Get a comfy saddle and decent shorts.

Why ride the road on a MTB bike, when you can get both!

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for the quick and passionate responses.

I certainly didn't mean to hit a nerve which clearly lies lurking here on the hub.

Apologies for that.

For what its worth I will keep the MTB and give the roadie a go and report back.

I did start training a week ago so hopefully will be up for the 94,7 in time.

Regards to all,

Rob

No, we're nerveless. We just love baiting each other (in other cases, 'bating each other). As long as you hold your line, you'll be fine. Here, or on the road.

26" or 29"?

Mongoose 20 Inch Squid Unicycle

Show off your skills with this Squid Unicycle! With its four arm tentacle frame and 36 spoke wheel, this unicycle is at the top of its game. It also features a 3-piece 155mm crank, a 3" slick tire, along with a grab handle and bumper built into the saddle. Product Features 4 arm tentacle Mongoose design 3-piece 155mm crank 36 spoke 20" heavy duty wheel 3" slick tire Saddle bumpers and handle

post-26440-0-48254500-1315319747.jpg

Edited by Peloton Piet

Somebody get the stones!!!!!!

Haha welcome, you should be fine, I ......I mean my friend swaps and changes between the two with no problem

Place for both road and MTB, MTB is fun but if you looking at improving your road seeding and racing then you need a road bike.