Tubeless puncture repair

chris_w_65

Is it worth carrying tubeless plugs and the tool to insert them with? I have a set here but the plugs seem very thin. Do you get different thickness plugs?

Yes it is worth carrying them, I have succesfully repaired a few punctures!

You do get thin and thick ones, bummer is you need a different tool for each ....

I have used the MTB ones and they work, some guys use the automotive ones but that seems overkill to me. We used a MTB plug to repair a side wall cut on the weekend that the Stans would not seal and it's still holding although I guess that it won't work for a long cut.

You should also pack some Emergency Tyre Boots

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/150/13249.jpg

You use these in the case of a cut.

And a tube for good measure: Conti make a very light weight 'Supersonic' one that is good as spare.

Edited by kosmonooit

I've used both the genuine innovations plugs, and the weldtite plugs. The weldtite plugs are much bigger so will seal bigger holes. Have run hundreds of km's with plugs in my tyres, without loosing any air.

post-18224-0-71112200-1315394661.jpg

post-18224-0-58444500-1315394699.jpg

Had a nasty sidewall cut the other day and it saved me the embarrassment of riding to the finish line on the back of a bakkie!Only had the genuine innovations plugs and one CO2 bomb with me,that's all, and boy was I glad I had it with me!It's super light and a must have in my opinion.Used two plugs to seal the cut eventually

I use the weldtight ones shown above and have inserted five of six (I can't remember exactly how many) into a cut and they sealed enough for me to get home...

"Is it worth carrying tubeless plugs and the tool to insert them with? I have a set here but the plugs seem very thin. Do you get different thickness plugs?"

Depends how much you like walking.

You should also pack some Emergency Tyre Boots

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/150/13249.jpg

You use these in the case of a cut.

And a tube for good measure: Conti make a very light weight 'Supersonic' one that is good as spare.

I have the boots, I will check out the light tube.

Thanks

I've used both the genuine innovations plugs, and the weldtite plugs. The weldtite plugs are much bigger so will seal bigger holes. Have run hundreds of km's with plugs in my tyres, without loosing any air.

post-18224-0-71112200-1315394661.jpg

post-18224-0-58444500-1315394699.jpg

These are the ones I have

I've had 2 walks to the finish, one from the top of the mast at tokai down to the bottom.

the other time i just rode on the flat and cut the sidewall completely.

I'd say it's probably worth it.

They have saved me many times from walking home! I used those cycling ones but they are quite expensive compared to the bigger automotive ones. Cycling pack of 5 "snot stokkies" for about R70. Automotive 5 "snot stokkies" for about R15. Never had any problems with the bigger ones. Currently have about 7 stokkies into my 2 tyres.

• 4 months later...

Ok, so I tried to fix a puncture on my tubeless tire this weekend with the plugs, but the hole was too big and air escaped once the tyre was under pressure. Now what? It's quite a nasty cut, too big for a plug.

Can i use a tube in that tire? Must the tube also have a presta valve like my tubeless? Is it a mission to install a tube in a tubeless setup?

Edited by FuelEX

No not a mission at all,but if the cut is bad then youre tube will bubble trough the cut.Maybe you can fix the tubeless tire with a patch from the inside of the tire?

If the cut is large, using a tube only may start to bulge - I remember this well from my high school days and general lack of money. You can however reinforce the cut with either a custom boot (see above), or an old piece of tube, cut to size and glued on the inside.

If your rims are for Presta valves only, then your tube needs to be Presta, the schraeder type wont fit in unless you want to drill the holes larger.

All in all, buy another tubeless tyre - it really is the best solution and the only one you will have any real confidence in.