Meandering threads (was bad attitudes)

my_intense

Tunariaan recently posted about bad attitude hubbers, those who lurk in the sidelines waiting to pounce on anyone who dares to express any opinion or view.

I started following the thread as I had myself experienced the result of posting a thought without too much agonising or deliberation, only to be flamed from dizzy heights by these opinionistas, bless their entertaining souls.

Not too long after the expected "moron", "bugger off to where you came from", "there's your problem" and "wadda you know newby" responses, the thread meandered off into dead-end directions (15 pages of) relating to short vs long races, road vs mountain biking, merits and de-merits of people who hunt, et cetera ad nauseum and generally irrelevant banter between people who clearly know each other and have done this before.

Nice article in Daily Maverick spurred me to post this and risk the heat.

http://dailymaverick.co.za/opinionista/2011-09-14-the-world-according-to-reader-feedback

Internet comment facilities seem to self-select for vitriol and abuse. People who want to express the viewpoint that “you suck”, or some more sophisticated variant of that, seem far more likely to jab fingers at their keyboards than those who are interested in communication and debate.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This raises an interesting question...

Which is the "real" person? The person you meet in real life or the internet persona which can show it's true colours free from social filters and consequences?

It's a bit scary to think that given (semi) anonymity even chilled out old todders like me can get worked up over strong riders doing short races?

Perhaps the interwebby is just a platform to release the stress of real life by being anonymous jerks.

Which is the "real" person? The person you meet in real life or the internet persona which can show it's true colours free from social filters and consequences?

It's a bit scary to think that given (semi) anonymity even chilled out old todders like me can get worked up over strong riders doing short races?

Perhaps the interwebby is just a platform to release the stress of real life by being anonymous jerks.

I guess the same question applies to road rage. Wimps who become towering alpha males when they're safe in the car.

This is why I NEVER post, off topic bantering and the general “I don’t give a ****” attitude by the some members. Sometimes I wonder why I ever joined. It feels like “The Hub” went “off Topic.

This is why I NEVER post, off topic bantering and the general “I don’t give a ****” attitude by the some members. Sometimes I wonder why I ever joined. It feels like “The Hub” went “off Topic.

Ah, but you just proved that you read the topics, so that must be why you joined.

I dont get it. There are serious forums for serious people who want to talk about serious stuff. Then there is Chit Chat, which is for (believe it or not) Chit Chat. Chit Chat implies that there will be humour and banter and arguing and all the other stuff that makes it immensely readable. If you dont like this kind of thing, then only go into the forums that suit you.

I dont get it. There are serious forums for serious people who want to talk about serious stuff. Then there is Chit Chat, which is for (believe it or not) Chit Chat. Chit Chat implies that there will be humour and banter and arguing and all the other stuff that makes it immensely readable. If you dont like this kind of thing, then only go into the forums that suit you.

you are red carded and unofficially warned for being sensible and logical and having valid points....

+1 - you should be banned for being too sensible!

Edited by Chubba

Nah, ask weedmod, I'm the same in real life...

Nice article in Daily Maverick spurred me to post this and risk the heat.

http://dailymaverick.co.za/opinionista/2011-09-14-the-world-according-to-reader-feedback

Internet comment facilities seem to self-select for vitriol and abuse. People who want to express the viewpoint that “you suck”, or some more sophisticated variant of that, seem far more likely to jab fingers at their keyboards than those who are interested in communication and debate.

Written by the oke who isn't allowed (according to the hub) to punch the ground in anger???

:D

Nah, ask weedmod, I'm the same in real life...

Yup, he really is that annoying in real life, and Eldron is that elitist… ;)