• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you want a huge tank?

would love to, but I don't have space at the moment Edited by François Marais

I gots a tag

How does the chip work?

(I have friends that had their dog chipped - they had a couple of bad experiences and advised me to give it a skip...)

Its a small chip with an ID,

it gets injected into the neck and you never feel it unless you know exactly where it is.

If they find a lost dog they scan it,

it will give an id which has all your details linked to it.

Both my dogs are chipped and my cat,

my staffie has 2 different chips as he was chipped with a different brand to what i use before i got him.

I dont use daily collars as my friends dog choked itself when the collar got hooked on a branch.

Edited by DJ84

Its a small chip with an ID,

it gets injected into the neck and you never feel it unless you know exactly where it is.

If they find a lost dog they scan it,

it will give an id which has all your details linked to it.

Both my dogs are chipped and my cat,

my staffie has 2 different chips as he was chipped with a different brand to what i use before i got him.

I dont use daily collars as my friends dog choked itself when the collar got hooked on a branch.

:thumbup:

The problem my friends had was that when their dog got lost and found again - the vet couldnt find the chip to scan it - seems like you have to know before-hand where it actually was implanted to make it work... this happened 3x with them...

This is just the experience they had - not trying to tell people not to get it or it doesn't work etc etc...

(maybe the location of the chip can be noted on the collar tag - for reference...?)

Edited by Ron Burgundy

:thumbup:

The problem my friends had was that when their dog got lost and found again - the vet couldnt find the chip to scan it - seems like you have to know before-hand where it actually was implanted to make it work... this happened 3x with them...

This is just the experience they had - not trying to tell people not to get it or it doesn't work etc etc...

(maybe the location of the chip can be noted on the collar tag - for reference...?)

If i remember correctly there are 3 brands and some are more popular in different areas.

So if the vet or whomever was scanning was using the wrong scanner then it would not pick them up.

I had my dogs checked the other day, 

chips are 2-3 years old and worked first time on them.

Found both chips on the staffie with different scanners.

I think its standard that it is injected on either side of the neck.

It is like a tracker though,

you should check every now and then that it is working and that the vet, ect. in your area use what scanners.

Any news on Nog? Problem is so many people find a dog/cat and think oh cute and keep the.

My sisters cat was gone for nearly 2 months, turns out someone took him it.

I posted on Twitter as well, hope he comes home soon.

Thanks for posting on tweeter Uni. I think that it's amazing that the chap returned him, he drove about 200km to return him, and go back home

Please gents

Chip your animals and get name tags around their necks.

Im involved with a rescue organisation and its scary how many animals get lost and found but cant be return

I silver name tag will cost you R60 rand thats it

IceID now have one for dogs. It fits on the collar and costs about R110 and has space for 6 lines of information

IceID now have one for dogs. It fits on the collar and costs about R110 and has space for 6 lines of information

i have given up trying to keep a collar on my dogs. They just pull or chew each others off.  But they are chipped

All chips are injected into neck area..it the size of a rice drop and you can feel it if you really look for it.

A vet should get any chip without hassles. .it doesnt expire.

Last time i did my Rottie litter they were round R500 each.

Expensive yes..but eorth every cent

As for not putting a collar one..get mad i dont care..its just slapgat..thats like saying you picking up your kids at school and then you dont do it because you dont care.

The few cases of dogs getting strangled was normally with dog wearing ckoked chains thats the wrong size.

A leather or material coller sits even tighter so its way safer.

You can either buy a collar with a stainless area on it..or you can buy them loose and attach them to harness.

I did the last one to my 4 dogs.

You put their name on it so someone can call it by name if it gets lost...on the back put your own phone number.

They have had so many dogs coming into Rottie Rescue and for that matter at all rescue centers it crazy.

Do the right thing and collar them atleast.

We do however have photos of all dogs in our area. If a dog gets out it easy to trace them back home.

i have given up trying to keep a collar on my dogs. They just pull or chew each others off.  But they are chipped

Same here, they usually don't last a day.

Same here, they usually don't last a day.

i have even tried collars that have a wire bead. Totally hopeless. Rather just be vigilant.