Show us your pets

tunariaan

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Platz??

I know he is a German Shepard but why Platz....

He is beautiful

[emoji106]

I assume the German command to lie down. Often owners teach the German Shepherds traditional German commands.

It is useful if you have a dog that responds to different commands from others when you work in a group (puppy class?) because it will not get confused when one of the other dogs get a command. We see it with retrievers. Five dogs sit/stay and are over keen and ready to "fetch". One owner gives the fetch command and 5 dogs take off like rockets. Now if your dog only knew "bring", he would not make that mistake. Make sense?

Yeah pretty much.

It is less confusing for them in daily life.. say you call your kid and say come here sit down, you won't have your dog also coming and sitting down....so apparently that is why they use a different language with the dogs..

And he is so clever you can say sit all you want and nothing but say sitz..and he immediately does.

Speaking of my son has now taught him door manners, when Enzo wants to go out he runs to the door and sits, waits for the door to open till my son to give the command to go out.

Edited by Gen

Yeah pretty much.

It is less confusing for them in daily life.. say you call your kid and say come here sit down, you won't have your dog also coming and sitting down....so apparently that is why they use a different language with the dogs..

And he is so clever you can say sit all you want and nothing but say sitz..and he immediately does.

Speaking of my son has now taught him door manners, when Enzo wants to go out he runs to the door and sits, waits for the door to open till my sons to give the command to go out.

:D Dogs and children.......many similarities in how you train them. My 2 (boys) still prick their ears when I whistle "that whistle"! :D

To be involved in the training of an intelligent dog is something I really think every young boy, and girl, should experience. It is incredibly good at teaching them (kids) a whole bunch of stuff. :thumbup:

Edited by DJR

:D Dogs and children.......many similarities in how you train them. My 2 (boys) still prick their ears when I whistle "that whistle"! :D

To be involved in the training of an intelligent dog is something I really think every young boy, and girl, should experience. It is incredibly good at teaching them (kids) a whole bunch of stuff. :thumbup:

And cats. My kitten responds when I whistle at her in a certain way. The dogs responds to a different whistle.

Kids, well, at age 32 my son basically still ignores me when I whistle at him. His response, "I'm not a dog". Can't fault that logic.  :D

Interesting question that.Some dogs simply don't like to do it. It is quite common. The theory is that it is a submissive thing to do, the first half of lying down and rolling over, and that especially strong willed ones don't like doing it. Speculation, I know, but I have found that more males showed that tendency and more of the strong willed ones. With time they do learn it, so persevere. Use both a voice command and a hand signal together, it has a MUCH stronger impact than just a voice alone. Like combining "platz" with an arm swinging down from waist height to end with a hand flat on the floor. :) Enjoy!

Thx will pass on the tip.

To be involved in the training of an intelligent dog is something I really think every young boy, and girl, should experience. It is incredibly good at teaching them (kids) a whole bunch of stuff. [emoji106]

Oh for sure.

I truly believe that having dogs is so beneficial to a child, however I mean having dogs as part of the family and they are involved with the dogs not garden ornaments with little interaction. So sad when I see 'garden ornaments'.

They should be called German Shedders

Just one of those crazy things that sticks in a persons mind and I always think about it when I brush my dogs is an article I read as a kid in probably the Family Radio and TV mag - or maybe even YOU (giving my age away now!) about a woman who had a loom.  She collected all her dogs hair she brushed, and wove it into a wool.  She then knitted herself a jersey.  I remember her saying it took a few washes to get soft, but it was one of the warmest jerseys she had ever worn!

Well, I can tell you that the way Labbies shed fur, I'm only surprised that people even bother to farm with merinos!  :whistling:

You have really messed it up for us. Mrs is now getting broody

The Old Man was not impressed when the youngster first arrived 5 years ago.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Will happily give you the details of the breeder we got Enzo from[emoji12]

You have really messed it up for us. Mrs is now getting broody

The Old Man was not impressed when the youngster first arrived 5 years ago.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Aaaaw

I assume the German command to lie down. Often owners teach the German Shepherds traditional German commands. 

It is useful if you have a dog that responds to different commands from others when you work in a group (puppy class?) because it will not get confused when one of the other dogs get a command. We see it with retrievers. Five dogs sit/stay and are over keen and ready to "fetch". One owner gives the fetch command and 5 dogs take off like rockets. Now if your dog only knew "bring", he would not make that mistake. Make sense?

Nope