Show us your pets

tunariaan

You need permits which are issued by Nature conservation and they don't hand them out freely. If you bred say your 2 baboon tarantulas and then got gatvol and released the now 500 spiders they could destroy the balance wherever you live.

Tarantuals are also not legal in all of our provinces.

Just out of interest, the Brazilian pinktoe tarantula has now overthrown the balance in Florida from being released bu hobbyists, also a few boa species. The Florida enviroment is perfect for exotics to thrive in.

Surely the same would apply to foreign spiders being released in South Africa

We had a trapdoor tarantula in the office in a fish tank long ago we called Percy.Then one monday when we came in he was gone.No one felt very comfortable for the rest of the day

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a Poecilotheria metallica, common name is a Gooty foot ornamental indiginous to Sri lanka. A 1cm sling goes for between R2000 to R2500 depending on the breeder. They can get very pricey!!! Oh and a female can lay between 200 to 2000 eggs depending on species so it's quite a lucrative industry.

post-35569-0-75216400-1381325639_thumb.jpg

They're not as scary as they look.

I'm not afraid of spiders but that one scares the cr@p out of me.

Surely the same would apply to foreign spiders being released in South Africa

We had a trapdoor tarantula in the office in a fish tank long ago we called Percy.Then one monday when we came in he was gone.No one felt very comfortable for the rest of the day

There are strict laws wrt importing of foreign species yet there are probably a good 200+ foreign species being actively kept and bred for the hobby here in RSA. We never were good at enforcing our laws as you may know.And with the money that could be made it's not going to stop anytime soon.

I mean a 200 strong eggsac going at R500 a sling gives you R100K, not bad for letting nature do it's thing, and if you can prevent the female from chowing the male you could get 3 or 4 sacs a year.

I'm not afraid of spiders but that one scares the cr@p out of me.

The Poecilotheria genus in particular is known for a vicious bite being old world from the Asian continent. But they are very skittish and choose flight over fight most times.

Heart palpatations, severe muscle cramping and even halucinations if the spider is big enough. Not a nice thing, or so I have been told. Touch wood, I've never been bitten before.

Edited by sk27

mmm....I like snakes but find they smell.How do you deal with that

I clean his cage once a week and when I see he did mess I clean it as quick as possible.

post-1179-0-80770300-1381228731_thumb.jpg

The latest addition to our family.

post-1179-0-80770300-1381228731_thumb.jpg

There goes your hosepipe, cycling shoes , mudflaps , water bottles, towbar wires.................. Edited by Blokman

There goes your hosepipe, cycling shoes , mudflaps , water bottles, towbar wires..................

This will not be the first time. I have to say that my previous Bullmastiff, who I unfortunately had to put down because of cancer about 2 months ago, was not very destructive. That title certainly went to our Boxer. But i have to say that this one is trying to make that title his own, holy crap. :cursing:

Our two Pekingese pups at 6 months. They are just over a year now, had their first grooming / cut, and has lost most of that cuddliness.

oh man. a don't watch this while at work if you're going to be bawling warning required.

never ceases to amaze me how animals still tolerate humans.

That was such an amazing video. Can't believe after all she went through that she turned out into such a nice dog.

Couldn't hold it against her if she tried to take your hand off. Thats why I'd rather spend time with animals than have to deal with other people.