Thaba Trails Update

Wendell

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's encouraging to read your comments. Scott bikes are doing a demo day organized by Tread magazine on Sunday... will be interesting to see if they handle well on the new tech areas. We have completed the proposed race route of about 5,5km. I need some of you to ride this and give me feedback. I will refrain from giving my comments (cos they won't count)I don't see these race routes being for the beginner / fun rider. rather at a higher skills level... want to have a casual "come as you are " race on the 8th... just a bit of fun and feed back... who will be there... Ben, you will have to use the gears.... Grant Usher showed me a clean pair of heels as he dissapeared over the top of " NO NAME HILL"....animal...8.30am till 10am on the 8th.

Wow, I did the race route with a Garmin last night...5,53 km accent 140m decent 145m cant tell you how much fun it was.I am looking for some guys to come ride the race route on the 8th. I think a three lapper will be a good starting point. It's NOT an easy trail so whoever come through will DEFINATELY be tested. No entry fees, no fuss... just come along and enjoy. Normal gate charges will get you in. Race start at 8.30am .If you do decide to come.... just bring ONE friend with you Thanks. enquiries: Wendell 0829000749.

Looking forward to the Scott test ride on Sunday. I believe the TREAD and Probike folk are being joined by Kevin Evans and David George. Should be a blast! :thumbup:

The 8th is Crater Cruise Wend's :(

Thanks Ben, just realised that today as well. Sorry but we will do it asap. This Sunday is the Scott launch and the race route will be marked especially for the day so peeps can test on all terrain. Will be very interesting

Thanks Ben, just realised that today as well. Sorry but we will do it asap. This Sunday is the Scott launch and the race route will be marked especially for the day so peeps can test on all terrain. Will be very interesting

Nice seeing you there on Sunday, Wendell, and the day before at the 12-hour. Thanks to you, Sean Badenhorst and Glen and Joggie from Scott for setting it up. Loved your chirp about the storm the night before having flattened the hills! Trails were a bit muddy on Sunday, but the riding was excellent. Great loop you laid out for us. Nice having David George and Kevin Evans there to chat about the bikes and their season so far. Great way to spend a Sunday monring.

Here's the Scott Scale Pro trailside…

post-1604-0-10283300-1317616304.jpg

Nice seeing you there on Sunday, Wendell, and the day before at the 12-hour. Thanks to you, Sean Badenhorst and Glen and Joggie from Scott for setting it up. Loved your chirp about the storm the night before having flattened the hills! Trails were a bit muddy on Sunday, but the riding was excellent. Great loop you laid out for us. Nice having David George and Kevin Evans there to chat about the bikes and their season so far. Great way to spend a Sunday monring.

You're welcome B, Sean is to be thanked for his hard work for his customers, finding veneus and setting up days like these.I sure hope the passion for trail building shows, I appreciate your complements and especially this picture. It does show how one can feel deep in the bush just 8km from Johannesburg City centre. Hope to see you soon when it is dry....errrr, but failing that we will see you at The Vlei 24hour....is going to be a HOOT. :thumbup:

Nice looking trails. Canb't wait to get there. Tumbleweed are those bars 777 wide?

Nice looking trails. Canb't wait to get there. Tumbleweed are those bars 777 wide?

Yeah, those trails are lekker. Tricky in parts, but much fun! No that the rains compacted them a bit, they are riding well.

Not sure how wide they are, but I'd say they are closer to a 660-680.

So I had a quick zip around Thaba on Sunday trying to beat sunset...

I didn't have a lot of time so I picked the green course and hammered a lap.

My thoughts in random order:

95% of the course is really well marked - one or two markers are halfway between two trails and a stop and some thinking is needed to pick the right path. The single track and dual direction is marked so you know when to expect someone flying at you from the other direction.

The green trail with the exepction of Jafta is all rideable - Samuel was my favourite specialty cut section - rideable and swoopy. Jafta I found a bit too steep in places to ride - even a granny didn't help. Not my favourite kinda riding - I like to ride my bike not come to a halt halfway up and walk the rest. Still - there were only 3 or 4 places I needed to dismount - no biggie. Samuel understands my needs as a cyclist :D All uphills rideable with some fun tricky rockery thrown in - the drops and downs were more fun on Jafta but I guess steep downs means steep ups...

The track is a bit rough in place and needs to be ridden in a bit so please bring all your buddies to sort the place out.

The scenery is spectacular - I was zebra, wildebees, springbok and hartebees all within 50m - even spotted what I think was a jackal but looked a little like a wild dog as it shot across the path. I also rode behind a dassie on the path for a while and spotted a mongoose. Within 5 minutes of starting you cannot hear cars or humans anymore - fantastic.

Security was efficient, friendly and helpful.

Alas there was no time to check out the yellow 1 or 2 route or take any of the blue detours but I'll certainly head back for those.

The place is 9km from my girlfriend's house so location is perfect - I hate driving to bike parks - it seems a bit silly and environmentally unfriendly.

R30 entry is also not a lot of cash for a training ride AND game viewing experience.

Well done Wendell - you get my vote as park creator of the year!

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t need a invite, just rock up and ride.

I was there on Sunday for the first time, greeted by a really friendly lady at reception that

took me through the routes and was on the trial in no time.

I live about 1km away and I was astounded by the beauty and views this place displays.

I got in at 7h00am and on my way out I passed about 10 bikes on their way in.

Really cool place to ride - thanks Wendell.

I got in at 7h00am and on my way out I passed about 10 bikes on their way in.

Really cool place to ride - thanks Wendell.

Anyone know what time the gates open on weekdays and weekends?

Guess, if you get a 10 ticket pass, as soon as it is light?

I'm thinking about some early morning rides befoe work now that it is light so early in the morning.

Lets leave the gears at home and do the place on Sat 5 Nov?

Thaba with 1 gear? Now I'm convinced you're a bit touched in the head ...... Rietvlei maybe though ;) - will have to confirm closer to the time