Thaba Trails Update

Wendell

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What time do the trails open tomorrow morning any one know?

Sunrise to sunset. But dont quote me on that

What time do the trails open tomorrow morning any one know?

gates open at 6.30am. last one in at 5pm.tomorrow night at 6pm we are doing a night ride at Thaba

Just had an awesome ride at Thaba with Jules.

Some hard new climbs, magnificent single track and ass clenching descents.

Well done Wendell.

Just had an awesome ride at Thaba with Jules.

Some hard new climbs, magnificent single track and ass clenching descents.

Well done Wendell.

Thanks man, always a pleasure to have you guys who enjoy a challange. See you soon.

Thanks man, always a pleasure to have you guys who enjoy a challange. See you soon.

Thaba is awesome, a lot of new baby wildlife to see, trails are running nicely and all the uphills gives you that satisfied feeling after the ride!!!!!

• 4 months later...

Just did Yellow 2, nice nice, getting to grips with it, now to speed up, 44min, avg speed 14.8km/h.

@Wendell just after Twin towers turn off, there was a split for yellow 1 straight home and yellow 2 to the left, See it is No Entry now (followed by a ride through a "dip"), will it be opened some time, it was always me second lap.

G

Thaba is awesome, a lot of new baby wildlife to see, trails are running nicely and all the uphills gives you that satisfied feeling after the ride!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Rode at Thaba yesterday, absolutely awesome trails, very technical. Some of those rocky downhills are hair raising and when you get to the bottom you thank your guardian angel (and 150mm travel).

Great stuff!

• 2 months later...

Yesterday when we arrived at Thaba, we were informed that the route has reversed.

The printed form explained that the green route is being ridden in reverse, and that most of the blue sections stayed the same.

Heading out on te trail, we took the first blue arrow to the right, all went well, rode the sections, and met up with the green trail eventually again. did this a couple of times, and after we rode the "Dave" section i think the confusion stepped in.

I was not sure if we were supposed to turn left, and go down into the "valley" where the new berms have been made, or turn right back up the hill and do the blue sections by the powerlines. We turned right back up the hill and did the powerline sections, thereafter we ended up doing some of the sections we did first...wanting to really go down the rocks on the other hill but ended up frustrated on the same trail we already did.

On the thrail, we met some really confused peeps, not knowing which way to go. Part of the problem I think is that some of the arrows may have blown in the wrong direction by the wind. Coming down some of these sections with people trying to negotiate upwards is not good.

I really really really enjoyed riding DOWN the big rocks after the hotel, and going UP along the fence at the hotel.

Not sure what Wendell's thinking was, but the concensus is (with everyone that we met on the trail) is that we liked it the other way around.

Thank you for the effort you put in, in making this one of the best riding venues in SA.

No wind did that I'm afraid...

When I was confused by this two weeks ago I was laughed at and got told I'm the only one who doesn't get the new route...

Yesterday when we arrived at Thaba, we were informed that the route has reversed.

The printed form explained that the green route is being ridden in reverse, and that most of the blue sections stayed the same.

Heading out on te trail, we took the first blue arrow to the right, all went well, rode the sections, and met up with the green trail eventually again. did this a couple of times, and after we rode the "Dave" section i think the confusion stepped in.

I was not sure if we were supposed to turn left, and go down into the "valley" where the new berms have been made, or turn right back up the hill and do the blue sections by the powerlines. We turned right back up the hill and did the powerline sections, thereafter we ended up doing some of the sections we did first...wanting to really go down the rocks on the other hill but ended up frustrated on the same trail we already did.

On the thrail, we met some really confused peeps, not knowing which way to go. Part of the problem I think is that some of the arrows may have blown in the wrong direction by the wind. Coming down some of these sections with people trying to negotiate upwards is not good.

I really really really enjoyed riding DOWN the big rocks after the hotel, and going UP along the fence at the hotel.

Not sure what Wendell's thinking was, but the concensus is (with everyone that we met on the trail) is that we liked it the other way around.

Thank you for the effort you put in, in making this one of the best riding venues in SA.

Hi Rocknrolla, I am sorry to see you a bit upset as well as not enjoying the trails.....unfortunately I have had some personal problems and haven't got to completing the new route markings.

I have ridden the " new direction GREEN" with a number of riders of all levels of ability. I rode these test runs quite a few times and didn't just do it on a whim. As you know I am a passionate rider and will not make changes just for changes sake.I had a good thumbs up from every test rider. The green trail is 15km and forms the BASE trail. The blue sections turn off and returns to the green trail which is now ridden ANTI CLOCKWISE. So when you have returned to the green off a blue trail generally you need to turn right and again follow the green arrow signs.

Just focus on GREEN. What happens is that approximately the first half of the 15km trail the "green" is the ARROW. The second half the "green" is the BACKGROUND. Therefore you are heading home when the "colour" is the back ground..remember the green green grass of home. I assure you that I will get the whole routing done asap. Two new sections are almost complete and ready to ride..KUDU and AMON...looking forward to launching these. Please be patient I want you all to enjoy your experience.

No wind did that I'm afraid...

When I was confused by this two weeks ago I was laughed at and got told I'm the only one who doesn't get the new route...

Hi VelloErv, if I laughed at you it was meant to be "with you and not at you" I do apologize. It is true that we have had strong winds as well as animals rubbing against and even eating on the signs. If I can have a ride with you I would enjoy sharing my vision with you. Unfortunately a day has only so many daylight hours.

Edited by Wendell

Thanx for responding Wendell.

Upset is a strong word. we will definately be back. it was my intention to give some feedback on how we (2 people) experience the latest trail.

Tried the new Green route.

The climbs are killers but the downhills are fast and fun.

I don't have the skill or the balls to try the blue yet, maybe I could join some of you experienced guys to see how it should be done.

• 2 weeks later...

Rode Thaba for the first time last Sunday. Mostly blue route and I must admit I did some walking. Can't imagine how I will ever get up some of those climbs but try I will.

Problem now is the wife won't consider going anywhere else. Asked her where we are riding this weekend and she looked at me like I was disturbed and said "Thaba of course"

Some walking.

My feeling is that the Blue Route should be mark as Mountain Bike optional, I spend more time pushing my bike then riding it.