Thaba Trails Update

Wendell

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will b there next weekend for sure :thumbup:

I know most people are resting for 94,7... but last Saturday Big Ben and Dangerous Dan rode with us for two and half hours the day before the mtb race, we are again doing a two and half hour green trail ride tomorrow at 7... we will just sneak in the downhill.... can't see myself looking the other way when the adrenalin rush is only meters away.... all welcome..but remember we will be coasting and not racing the GREEN trail.

I know most people are resting for 94,7... but last Saturday Big Ben and Dangerous Dan rode with us for two and half hours the day before the mtb race, we are again doing a two and half hour green trail ride tomorrow at 7... we will just sneak in the downhill.... can't see myself looking the other way when the adrenalin rush is only meters away.... all welcome..but remember we will be coasting and not racing the GREEN trail.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

what do you mean.. :lol:x 8 ? You did do that and had the best race the following day!!! :Px 8

What is this "coasting" you speak of? Never heard the word :D

What is this "coasting" you speak of? Never heard the word :D

Welllll, I like an expression I once read on the hub..." a lipstick ride.." makes the imagination flow. So we will not want to smudge the lipstick now will we? Are you planning on joining us??

The downhill is THE most exciting piece of trail i've ridden. There's nothing more i hate than climbing, but i'll gladly loop around and climb that retarded granny gear beast of a lung busting climb to ride back down over and over again. I rode it for the 1st time during the night ride, which gave me little time to re-think the stupidity of rolling down some challenging rock faces i couldn't see properly till i was in too deep. I returned 2 mornings later and Wendell n his crew had neatened up the climb to make it 100% rideable,(albeit in the granniest gear u have). The view from the top is amazing, you can stop n take it all in while u drink your water bottle, 3 litre camelbak, riding partner's camelbak, and sweat from your socks all flat after the climb... DO NOT take your beginner,takkie wearing roadie friends up there unless they're prepared to walk most of it... Its definitely an intermediate and up skill level section. DO go up and walk it once to see what it's about and to give you a goal to aspire to in terms of where you need your riding to be to enjoy the absolute most fun you can have on a bicycle. i gaurantee a HUGE, uncontrollable grin when youve successfully ridden it from top to bottom.

Yafta is totally rideable, the small sharp climb shortly after you enter it is not a compulsory portage. I'm by no means the strongest 'athlete' when it comes to climbing, but i've made it up all 3 times i've ridden it.

Abraham is the 2nd best piece of trail i've ever ridden, giving you awesome forest downhills and twisty flowing singletrack.

I'm Rietvei's biggest fan, but i can honestly say, in terms of a challenging trail, Thaba cant be beaten. And that's in it's current form. Wendell n the guys are continually improving and adding and creating what's going be the SICKEST trail in JHB...

MTBbicuclist dude where do you fall out? I thought you had sold your bikes and taken up tiddly winks!

Hopefully see you around some time :thumbup:

The downhill is THE most exciting piece of trail i've ridden. There's nothing more i hate than climbing, but i'll gladly loop around and climb that retarded granny gear beast of a lung busting climb to ride back down over and over again. I rode it for the 1st time during the night ride, which gave me little time to re-think the stupidity of rolling down some challenging rock faces i couldn't see properly till i was in too deep. I returned 2 mornings later and Wendell n his crew had neatened up the climb to make it 100% rideable,(albeit in the granniest gear u have). The view from the top is amazing, you can stop n take it all in while u drink your water bottle, 3 litre camelbak, riding partner's camelbak, and sweat from your socks all flat after the climb... DO NOT take your beginner,takkie wearing roadie friends up there unless they're prepared to walk most of it... Its definitely an intermediate and up skill level section. DO go up and walk it once to see what it's about and to give you a goal to aspire to in terms of where you need your riding to be to enjoy the absolute most fun you can have on a bicycle. i gaurantee a HUGE, uncontrollable grin when youve successfully ridden it from top to bottom.

Yafta is totally rideable, the small sharp climb shortly after you enter it is not a compulsory portage. I'm by no means the strongest 'athlete' when it comes to climbing, but i've made it up all 3 times i've ridden it.

Abraham is the 2nd best piece of trail i've ever ridden, giving you awesome forest downhills and twisty flowing singletrack.

I'm Rietvei's biggest fan, but i can honestly say, in terms of a challenging trail, Thaba cant be beaten. And that's in it's current form. Wendell n the guys are continually improving and adding and creating what's going be the SICKEST trail in JHB...

With humility we thank you Barry.... "sick" is not on our minds although "green" with envy from those who are not able to get out South to experience what i reckon will be our " whisler" answer...not that we have that sort of terrein but we will do the best with what we've got. We just need more riders as we cannot keep up with the maintainence since the welcome rains have come....settling the trails. I am doing a three hour ride on Sunday morning starting at 7...I THINK, DEPENDS ON THE WEATHER...phone me to confirm 0829000749 all welcome!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Went there with JMBC and rode the intermediate rides -found it really difficult especially the ascents (i think the tech sections made me tense and that made me tired).

How difficult areThabo Trails in normal mtb parlance?

Have started going to Reitvlei and Kings Kloof to prepare for a comeback though.

Went there with JMBC and rode the intermediate rides -found it really difficult especially the ascents (i think the tech sections made me tense and that made me tired).

How difficult areThabo Trails in normal mtb parlance?

Have started going to Reitvlei and Kings Kloof to prepare for a comeback though.

Hello Judge, a pity you didn't just pop into the little kiosk as you were leaving and we could have had a chat. The differences between Thaba and the vlei in my opinion are as follows..The Vlei is a bike park. The trails have become easier as we have cleared most of the technical challenges out of the intermediate (GREEN) trail. It has become rider friendly for the family as well as riders who are making the transision from road to MTB. It is not a technical ride anymore.

Thaba Trails on the other hand is a nature park with MTB trails. The intermediate (GREEN) trail is a technical ride. If you do the yellow 2 route which is our core ride you will cover 15km. The green sections loop off and come back onto the yellow route. I suggest you do the yellow ride, select a green loop and once you are excited and have improved your skills then move onto the next one...and eventually you will be riding the blue routes as well,which are for skilled riders only. I can,but don't always ride the whole trail as there is always an eliment of chance.I showed the group I was riding with yesterday... I didn't want to chance a fall because of Sabie Experiance this week end... I walked in places as nothing is too difficult to walk. I ask for patiance with markings, as we are trying to complete the 40km loop before the end of the year and then we will start honing the trails. In hind sight, mabe we should not have opened the trails until we are 100% happy with the product.. but....it's mountainbiking at its best..right here in the city.please enjoy!!

ps. did you see the baby wilde beest, we saw the latest one that was just born it kept falling over as it tried to run with it's mother, it was so young

Hi Wendell

Is there still night rides during December?

Thanks

Neil

we will try and keep it going. see you tonight

Hello Judge, a pity you didn't just pop into the little kiosk as you were leaving and we could have had a chat. The differences between Thaba and the vlei in my opinion are as follows..The Vlei is a bike park. The trails have become easier as we have cleared most of the technical challenges out of the intermediate (GREEN) trail. It has become rider friendly for the family as well as riders who are making the transision from road to MTB. It is not a technical ride anymore.

Thaba Trails on the other hand is a nature park with MTB trails. The intermediate (GREEN) trail is a technical ride. If you do the yellow 2 route which is our core ride you will cover 15km. The green sections loop off and come back onto the yellow route. I suggest you do the yellow ride, select a green loop and once you are excited and have improved your skills then move onto the next one...and eventually you will be riding the blue routes as well,which are for skilled riders only. I can,but don't always ride the whole trail as there is always an eliment of chance.I showed the group I was riding with yesterday... I didn't want to chance a fall because of Sabie Experiance this week end... I walked in places as nothing is too difficult to walk. I ask for patiance with markings, as we are trying to complete the 40km loop before the end of the year and then we will start honing the trails. In hind sight, mabe we should not have opened the trails until we are 100% happy with the product.. but....it's mountainbiking at its best..right here in the city.please enjoy!!

ps. did you see the baby wilde beest, we saw the latest one that was just born it kept falling over as it tried to run with it's mother, it was so young

thanks for that I am sure to come back and will take your advise.