Thaba Trails Update

Wendell

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaba with 1 gear? Now I'm convinced you're a bit touched in the head ...... Rietvlei maybe though ;) - will have to confirm closer to the time

Sounds like a plan on the SS

My only fall off a MTB happened here. On a steep downhill section my front tire somehow hooked in the soft sand sending me over the bars. I somehow managed to decleat (God Bless Eggbeaters) and land on my feet amongst some rocks but triped on the rocks in the grass landing face first on a big flat rock (lucky!) - only damage was a dent in my one kneecap area - which took about four weeks to heal but it now fine.

Nice trail - but the powderery sand has to go.

Anyone know what time the gates open on weekdays and weekends? Guess, if you get a 10 ticket pass, as soon as it is light?I'm thinking about some early morning rides befoe work now that it is light so early in the morning.

I asked Graham and he mentioned that they open at 6h30 ~ 7h00am,

I sent out the following post but no reply’s.

Early morning mtb riding in the south

Took my first turn there Saturday, nice to have a venue like this close to home, overall positive.

I took the 'Green Route' which is listed about 20 km. First half was good pace, but I found the rest tough going, and ended up in bipedal mode more that I really cared for. There are nice challenging descents down the koppie but they you turn and go str8 back up. Maybe the top dawgs enjoy / can handle that, but me being typical below average kippie would have preferred the climbs to be a bit gentler and smoother, even some switch backs would be welcome.

The Green route got a bit messy towards the end, contradictory signage cause me to get stuck in a Do-loop towards the end, and the plot was nearly lost. Fortunately I have a head for directions, and cut down across the bush & grass to the exit. There are so many twists and turns you get disorientated easily. Also heat peaked at 35 Deg. I ran out of water and got dehydrated (but nothing 10 cups of Rooibos tea cant cure though).

I was hoping for more flowing track and paths (like Groenies), it seems to be more a training ground for XC competitors. Also, perhaps look at investing in an Espresso machine at home base, so we can take the offer of coffee more seriously :)

Another suggestion: small pocket maps (even laminated ones for sale) - there are paths all over the place towards the end, signage not straight forward.

I am so dissapointed to se you have deleted?edited all your posts from this site. No hard feelings and you will always be welcome to our doors...have a great day. Wendell.

Took my first turn there Saturday, nice to have a venue like this close to home, overall positive.

I took the 'Green Route' which is listed about 20 km. First half was good pace, but I found the rest tough going, and ended up in bipedal mode more that I really cared for. There are nice challenging descents down the koppie but they you turn and go str8 back up. Maybe the top dawgs enjoy / can handle that, but me being typical below average kippie would have preferred the climbs to be a bit gentler and smoother, even some switch backs would be welcome.

Don't call yourself such names :) I take your comments very serious and am aware of these challenges.It is just how things are for now. We started in the middle of June and are trying to get as much done as possible. Thereafter, we will start pruning and shaping the trail.We want to stay within the tree lines for porposes of soil erosion and this again has another challange as you are experiencing.

The Green route got a bit messy towards the end, contradictory signage cause me to get stuck in a Do-loop towards the end, and the plot was nearly lost.

Sorry, we are trying but some folks still find it a MUST to change signs around and "yes" we do need to use common trails for yellow, green and blue..but please be patient "our engineers are working on this problem"

Fortunately I have a head for directions, and cut down across the bush & grass to the exit. There are so many twists and turns you get disorientated easily. Also heat peaked at 35 Deg. I ran out of water and got dehydrated (but nothing 10 cups of Rooibos tea cant cure though).

Water IS a problem on the trail...we are looking at tapping into the JOJO tank in the valley but must do it "with permission"

I was hoping for more flowing track and paths (like Groenies),

We will never be "groenieS" and we don't want to even be like them..we are Thaba Trails but we listen to ALL your constuctive comments and will try our best to give you what you are looking for. After all, if you prefer other trails you wont be back and we " miss you already :lol:

it seems to be more a training ground for XC competitors. Also, perhaps look at investing in an Espresso machine at home base, so we can take the offer of coffee more seriously :)[/font

]watch this space...we are on top of it, but thanks for the mention...and lastly, we can't keep up with the mapping as the trails change daily...just watch this space and keep on giving us feed back....ps the new downhill will be over 1km and after many offers to build it did not materialise, I am now doing it my way.A BIG BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by Wendell

Kosmonooit...I am limited with computors so PLEASE read your posting and see my comments..gee this frustrates me no end. Thanks

So I had a quick zip around Thaba on Sunday trying to beat sunset...

I didn't have a lot of time so I picked the green course and hammered a lap.

My thoughts in random order:

95% of the course is really well marked - one or two markers are halfway between two trails and a stop and some thinking is needed to pick the right path. The single track and dual direction is marked so you know when to expect someone flying at you from the other direction.

The green trail with the exepction of Jafta is all rideable - Samuel was my favourite specialty cut section - rideable and swoopy. Jafta I found a bit too steep in places to ride - even a granny didn't help. Not my favourite kinda riding - I like to ride my bike not come to a halt halfway up and walk the rest. Still - there were only 3 or 4 places I needed to dismount - no biggie. Samuel understands my needs as a cyclist :D All uphills rideable with some fun tricky rockery thrown in - the drops and downs were more fun on Jafta but I guess steep downs means steep ups...

The track is a bit rough in place and needs to be ridden in a bit so please bring all your buddies to sort the place out.

The scenery is spectacular - I was zebra, wildebees, springbok and hartebees all within 50m - even spotted what I think was a jackal but looked a little like a wild dog as it shot across the path. I also rode behind a dassie on the path for a while and spotted a mongoose. Within 5 minutes of starting you cannot hear cars or humans anymore - fantastic.

Security was efficient, friendly and helpful.

Alas there was no time to check out the yellow 1 or 2 route or take any of the blue detours but I'll certainly head back for those.

The place is 9km from my girlfriend's house so location is perfect - I hate driving to bike parks - it seems a bit silly and environmentally unfriendly.

R30 entry is also not a lot of cash for a training ride AND game viewing experience.

Well done Wendell - you get my vote as park creator of the year!

Thank you for your kind words... my team are great as well...thank you and we are working on your comments.

On my way out later yesterday after noon I passed a group going in to do the night ride.

After all the good rains there was no dust and the trails are in good shape.

The views with the sun setting were awesome - I need to join you guys next week.

• 2 weeks later...

went on a group ride early saturday morning with Wendell, Bennie, Mtb Barbie, Merida man and some others (sorry realy bad with names)

i was on my rigid SS running 32:18 and the course was awesome. had a great time out in a great area saw lotsa game, including the baby blesbok. the trails are awesome. Abraham i dont know you but i like your style. your route is alota fun and your sneaky uphill caught alot of the gearies out haha. loved it.

Wendell great job and you will definitly be seeing more of me and the "Yellow SS-machine" at your beautiful trail.

went on a group ride early saturday morning with Wendell, Bennie, Mtb Barbie, Merida man and some others (sorry realy bad with names)

i was on my rigid SS running 32:18 and the course was awesome. had a great time out in a great area saw lotsa game, including the baby blesbok. the trails are awesome. Abraham i dont know you but i like your style. your route is alota fun and your sneaky uphill caught alot of the gearies out haha. loved it.

Wendell great job and you will definitly be seeing more of me and the "Yellow SS-machine" at your beautiful trail.

Thank you JC for your kind words...just have to mention..MY trail building team rocks..Thanks guys!!

The "DOWNHILL" is done.... in my humble opinion....NOT for the "true blue" downhillers as it may have a slightly too steep bump and may not be KAMAKAZI enough. Unfortunately,it is the terrain we have to work with and very little I can do about it at this stage.The trail is also void of rocks and will be fast.Some interesting rock faces to cross. Total decent is 1.3km. I didn't measure the altitudes as yet nor the time to decent...just picked our way through in the dark last night...awesome night ride. The downhill is so good I think we will include it as part of the bigger trails but exciting stuff never the less.Come and enjoy it guys!!!

The "DOWNHILL" is done.... in my humble opinion....NOT for the "true blue" downhillers as it may have a slightly too steep bump and may not be KAMAKAZI enough. Unfortunately,it is the terrain we have to work with and very little I can do about it at this stage.The trail is also void of rocks and will be fast.Some interesting rock faces to cross. Total decent is 1.3km. I didn't measure the altitudes as yet nor the time to decent...just picked our way through in the dark last night...awesome night ride. The downhill is so good I think we will include it as part of the bigger trails but exciting stuff never the less.Come and enjoy it guys!!!

Hey guys, you have to do this section!!!!!! I went to do the Garmin bit last night...man it sends all sorts of vibes down your spine... I went from Impala Rd on the green trail, the slow climb is 1,29km to the white beacon. Tuesday night we had to walk most of this as it was under construction but hey man!!! I rode it all the way! BIG Thanks to my guys for doing this in double quick time.The accent is 111m. From the top it gets a bit hairy ( for me anyway) The first rock face made me do a double take on my shammy....but I must admit it was exciting, then the second one made me take stock first..next time. The decent was 112m and 1,31km. I would love to see your faces when you have done this. Good enough to go round and do again. See you soon!!