Challenge Cape Town postponed

Garfield2010

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So he has confirmed it with you....but he is leaving all the athletes hanging on a thread.This is a disgrace and i don't think he will ever get sponsors again.

He knew he didn't have the road closure but still went ahead with the entries.I wonder where the moneys will go to now?

Garfield...keep training till 70.3 and use this as a base ;)

Apparently you will have the option of having your entry returned or you can carry it forward until to the next race.....whenever that may be. I am not here to defend the guy because I am also disappointed having spent so many hours training, away from the family, etc. but I think the City are also partly to blame here. They gave their backing to the event and are supposed to be "partners" but it appears that they have not come to the party.

Apparently you will have the option of having your entry returned or you can carry it forward until to the next race.....whenever that may be. I am not here to defend the guy because I am also disappointed having spent so many hours training, away from the family, etc. but I think the City are also partly to blame here. They gave their backing to the event and are supposed to be "partners" but it appears that they have not come to the party.

I understand that but then let the athletes know what is going on so that they can try and get some money back from airlines and hotels.

I wonder if they have informed the Pros that are competing in the race?

Not surprised in the least. Thought it was impossible route when announced, queried the road closure with organiser back then. Actually looked like it was designed on google earth, baden powell was the real clue to the amount of thought gone into this.

I was just going to say that it's heading for a major disaster as it hasn't been mentioned even once in the false bay echo. It's not easy shutting down the deep south. Sorry for those who entered, but does the team even have any track record? not surprised in the least.

but I think the City are also partly to blame here. They gave their backing to the event and are supposed to be "partners" but it appears that they have not come to the party.

Given that it is clear they didn't even drive the proposed route before taking people's money, chances are the organisers included the City's support before actually talking to the City.

Challenge Cape Town postponed until 2012

Challenge Cape Town, Cape Town’s first major long distance triathlon which was due to be held in the city on 6 November has been postponed until 2012.

The decision was taken following organisers’ concerns with the course’s safety and the lack of available time to negotiate suitable alternatives. Race director, Grant Kunneke, said while the postponement was a hugely difficult decision to make, the athletes’ safety was paramount and essential to the future of Challenge Cape Town.

“Both Challenge and the City of Cape Town are committed to staging a successful event in 2012 and we’re delighted that many of our major stakeholders and sponsors have recommitted for 2012, such is their strong belief in this event,” he said.

Challenge Cape Town was to have been the final race in 2011’s global roll out of new Challenge Family long distance triathlons which included successful Challenge races in Fuerteventura in Spain, Cairns in Australia, Aarhus in Denmark, Vichy in France and Henley-on-Thames in the UK.

“This is the hardest thing we have dealt with in Challenge’s history as this affects so many athletes and their families,” said Felix Walchshöfer, Challenge Family CEO. “However, it is the correct decision as we will never compromise the safety of our athletes nor the quality of experience we deliver them. We will now continue our good working relationship with the City and our team in South Africa to deliver an outstanding event in 2012.”

All athletes registered for Challenge Cape Town can rollover their entry to 2012 and receive a free relay entry for a family member or friend or get a refund. Dates for the 2012 event are to be confirmed. For further information, visit www.challenge-capetown.com.

Challenge Cape Town, Cape Town’s first major long distance triathlon which was due to be held in the city on 6 November has been postponed until 2012.

The decision was taken following organisers’ concerns with the course’s safety and the lack of available time to negotiate suitable alternatives. Race director, Grant Kunneke, said while the postponement was a hugely difficult decision to make, the athletes’ safety was paramount and essential to the future of Challenge Cape Town.

“Both Challenge and the City of Cape Town are committed to staging a successful event in 2012 and we’re delighted that many of our major stakeholders and sponsors have recommitted for 2012, such is their strong belief in this event,” he said.

Challenge Cape Town was to have been the final race in 2011’s global roll out of new Challenge Family long distance triathlons which included successful Challenge races in Fuerteventura in Spain, Cairns in Australia, Aarhus in Denmark, Vichy in France and Henley-on-Thames in the UK.

“This is the hardest thing we have dealt with in Challenge’s history as this affects so many athletes and their families,” said Felix Walchshöfer, Challenge Family CEO. “However, it is the correct decision as we will never compromise the safety of our athletes nor the quality of experience we deliver them. We will now continue our good working relationship with the City and our team in South Africa to deliver an outstanding event in 2012.”

All athletes registered for Challenge Cape Town can rollover their entry to 2012 and receive a free relay entry for a family member or friend or get a refund. Dates for the 2012 event are to be confirmed. For further information, visit www.challenge-capetown.com.

Really sorry for you guys who trained so hard and committed so much cash to this. Hopefully you can come out OK.

The cancellation is not really surprising. When I first viewed the course, it seemed pretty impractical to do rolling road closure over a 180km loop for what was likely to be a smallish field. The field would be stretched out so far by the difficulty of the course that you may be out of sight of other competitors. I envisioned riding along the Peninsula in the wind with not another bike in sight, a gust and you are in the mountain or in the sea. Not particularly safe.

A multi lap course which kept the athletes in contact would have been a far more practical idea.

In the end a grand plan but perhaps a little too grand.

Excuse all the 'told you so', but wow these guys don't even do research that well.

I suppose Ironman Gordon's Bay 2000/2001 is not considered because:

*these guys have never been beyond the CBD/atlantic seaboard(it's dark africa out there)

*ironman is maybe not a 'major long distance'

*they haven't been on the scene that long

assume all the races in the 80's and 90's wouldn't count either.

I did Gordons Bay in 2000 and 2001 and i loved that cycle route.It was tough but was a great view.3 x up Rooi Els wasn't fun :D

These guys will never see me again. They have taken a lot of money from us and obviously drawn the interest from it as well. I entered 6 months back already +-) I doubt they will refund my entry + 10% interest?

Not to even speak about the flights, accomodation etc that has been booked.

In fact, the Argus can also say goodbye. I have done a lot of investing in Cape Town by doing the Argus 9 times in the last 10 years. If this is how they thank us then they can keep their events to themselves.

Local is lekker.

This is going to cause a major uproar besides the many hours of training what about the costs incurred. Airfares, accommodation, bike transport etc etc and event like this can cost a single person R10000 never mind a team of 3 people. What are team sponsors going to think ? Do the organizers realize how much effort goes into finding sponsors for a team then only to find out the event was cancelled and the money has gone down the tubes. What about the people flying from overseas ? Surely they must have known a while back things were NOT going to happen. How can you cancel the event 3 weeks before !!!!! They knew what the minimum criteria was for this race to happen many months ago. 2012 for Challenge Capetown is not going to happen as far as I am concerned.

In fact, the Argus can also say goodbye. I have done a lot of investing in Cape Town by doing the Argus 9 times in the last 10 years. If this is how they thank us then they can keep their events to themselves.

Local is lekker.

Not sure if that is entirely fair on the Argus people, or Cape Town. I think it is more reasonable, but just as stupid, to say you will never do another triathlon, if this is the way triathlon organisers thank you.

Really sorry for you guys who trained so hard and committed so much cash to this. Hopefully you can come out OK.

The cancellation is not really surprising. When I first viewed the course, it seemed pretty impractical to do rolling road closure over a 180km loop for what was likely to be a smallish field. The field would be stretched out so far by the difficulty of the course that you may be out of sight of other competitors. I envisioned riding along the Peninsula in the wind with not another bike in sight, a gust and you are in the mountain or in the sea. Not particularly safe.

A multi lap course which kept the athletes in contact would have been a far more practical idea.

In the end a grand plan but perhaps a little too grand.

Edited by lizbet

I think its pathetic that the organizers can even open entries before a route has been confirmed with City.

I feel so sorry for the guys who have committed $ and training time. I can only imagine the hours and hours of suffering that everyone has been put though.

Tough times for Mr Kunneke that's for sure, but with all due respect, he sewed the seeds now he can reap the rewards.

Really puts RSA in a bad light and that's uncalled for.

I do not usually rant – let alone on a blog. But this is disgusting!!! As one of the entered athletes – I thank my lucky stars that I only started looking for a new bike yesterday and only finally got around to investigating a neoprene vest and booties. I am also fortunate enough to be based in Cape Town and to have heard the rumour ……

I am still waiting for an email from the challenge Cape Town notifying the athletes who have entered and a formal apology to each and everyone of them.

I had to notify friends in Australia who are flying out tomorrow for the race and I am sure there are some who have already arrived and are still completely unaware.

I think this is such a bad reflection on South Africa, Cape Town and the Challenge family. I have no sympathy for the reaction I foresee coming from the racing community….. 17 days before a race you train no less than 4 months for you decide it is a good idea to make an announcement in the media – before notifying some unaware athletes…..

I would hang my head in shame and seriously I will be VERY surprise if any athlete would want their entry to rollover. Events get cancelled – due to weather conditions…. Sharks in the water…. Strong winds…. But not due to POOR planning…… next time plan first get authorisation for your plans and then – put on a race…. And ask people to commit time and energy to it…

You would have thought for such a successful organisation with such a good reputation that they would know that you cannot put the cart before the horse…..but sadly

Very disappointed in the Challenge Family and their so called “team”…..