Just keep left...

MJ the Expat

:lol:

Defrost the mother before you use it.Softens the blow.

Wasn't there a story about stress testing aircraft windows for bird strike that went something like this:

Quantas wanted to test their aircraft windows against bird strike. They borrowed a 'chicken cannon' from the States. You go buy chickens from the supermarket and load these in the cannon and fire them at whatever you want to test.

So, they load the cannon, and boom - chicken goes straight through windshield and dents bulkhead behind pilot.

This leaves them in a bit of a panic - until someone R'sTFM and finds 'Don't use frozen chickens.'

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I do is wait for an opportunity to overtake, duck through the grass to the side, hit the hidden rock, have the overtakee ride over my head, and bugger up my leg on yet another hidden rock. But hey, that's just me.

As evidenced by your avatar.

Wasn't there a story about stress testing aircraft windows for bird strike that went something like this:

Quantas wanted to test their aircraft windows against bird strike. They borrowed a 'chicken cannon' from the States. You go buy chickens from the supermarket and load these in the cannon and fire them at whatever you want to test.

So, they load the cannon, and boom - chicken goes straight through windshield and dents bulkhead behind pilot.

This leaves them in a bit of a panic - until someone R'sTFM and finds 'Don't use frozen chickens.'

Dunno. But I'm sure I seen mithbusters shoot chickens from a cannon.

What I do is wait for an opportunity to overtake, duck through the grass to the side, hit the hidden rock, have the overtakee ride over my head, and bugger up my leg on yet another hidden rock. But hey, that's just me.

What I suggest is that if you are an overtakee, and some overly obnoxious, frustrated mountain biker starts barking random orders at you, is that you shove your pump in his front wheel spokes as he comes past, then stop, take photo's of the bleeding result, and mail them to ridertips@treadmag.co.za :thumbup:

Was the person riding a unicycle by any chance? :rolleyes:

No, it was a comely lass (hence not being in a hurry to overtake) - which at the same time lessened the pain of someone leaving tyre tracks on your helmet (um...) whilst deepening the mortification of being such a klutz.

Being the athlete that I am, I have many a time had the opportunity of being lapped by Mannie Heymans & co - and they have generally been overwhelmingly polite ... 'track on your right please' whooosh....

No, it was a comely lass (hence not being in a hurry to overtake) - which at the same time lessened the pain of someone leaving tyre tracks on your helmet (um...) whilst deepening the mortification of being such a klutz.

Dis you tell your missus that?

Being the athlete that I am, I have many a time had the opportunity of being lapped by Mannie Heymans & co - and they have generally been overwhelmingly polite ... 'track on your right please' whooosh....

Grant Usher growled at me on Saturday… :o :( :lol:

i don't agree. you let me know you intend passing right and find your way around me safely, we both paid to ride we both have the right to enjoy it.

Edited by Kaka'

Unfortunatly there is no overtaking in single track. It is also advised in tricky sections to give a little gap. There is nothing worse than someone charging your back wheel and causing you to stress and mess up resulting in two people going down.

Wait for the gap and take it.

I know when someone is behind me, you dont have to tell me.

What really gets my goat is when two riders are having a lekker chat next to each other on jeep track. Pick a lane buddy, I aint going through the middle!

Personally I sneak up behind slower riders and casually let my front tyre make contact with their rear tyre. They **** themselves invariably going off line and leaving you acres of real estate to pass. Just say sorry and ride through. The chances of them recognising you after the race without your lid are slim.

Don't the rules say the rider in front has right of way or something?

But geez, if someone is a better / fitter / braver / stupider rider than you, just give him as best you can some space to get past...

AND DON'T WALK UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TRACK GETTING IN THE WAY OF PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY CAN RIDE IT!!

I find the pro's generally are like this, its the wannabee chasing position 999 that's usually a problem.

In an event recently, down a rocky technical section, with max only room for 1 rider on the track, some dude who started in about z batch of the short distance, tried to squeeze past my current wife and her mate. They had to pull off to the side, get off and let him through. Few metres later our hero went tip and rolling over the bars, and they rode past him sprawling. Sometimes MTB levels the playing field itself.

current wife ! Is that the new terminology now? <_<