Smoking and Cycling

Slowbee

Ok so I slipped up in the last few weeks and smoked a bit here and there and everywhere.

Started with a few smokes at the Nando's Comedy Festival followed by a few on the way to and from Critical Mass.

Next thing I knew I was smoking most nights after work. I thought it would not have affected my riding that badly yet but it did. I totally burned on Saturday 10km into the ride where a month ago I was able to manage 40km without too much effort.

My resting HR is also up by 10 to 15bpm and I have a constant sinus headache.

I have now effectively thrown away all the hard work from the 25th of June for a few cheap and disgusting thrills.

Today is day 1 again :( and I'm already ready to kill somebody.

I really wish I never started :(

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, now I missed another smoking thread! angry.gif

I've quit recently (in an attempt to get my average heart rate down, which didn't work but that's a story for another day...). You need to see things for what they are. 1 – You are addicted to nicotine, and 2 – You are in the habit of smoking. Meaning, if you haven’t smoked for a while you start craving cigarettes, that’s the nicotine addiction, and smoking after dinner or just after you lit up the braai, that’s the habit. I found the habit part being harder to “beat” than the craving. You need to know that the craving will go away eventually and that getting yourself out of the habit is purely based on choice. I had a cigarette with me for the first week or so after quitting giving myself the choice to smoke if I needed to. Every time I wanted a cigarette I had the “choice” to leave my desk, go outside and light up but just decided not to. “I still have the cigarette. I can still smoke later if I need to”. Sounds dumb, I know, but it worked for me... You need to realise that you don’t have to smoke, nothing will happen to you if you don’t.

I don’t know why I gave you this “lecture” now, but I took the time to type it so I may as well post it... tongue.gif

did that too once, gave up cold turkey, had a pack of smokes with me all the time but felt all powerful knowing i had the choice and power of mind to smoke or not with the smokes close at hand. oh well that lasted a month but i wont quit quitting.!!

Ok so I slipped up in the last few weeks and smoked a bit here and there and everywhere.

Started with a few smokes at the Nando's Comedy Festival followed by a few on the way to and from Critical Mass.

Next thing I knew I was smoking most nights after work. I thought it would not have affected my riding that badly yet but it did. I totally burned on Saturday 10km into the ride where a month ago I was able to manage 40km without too much effort.

I have now effectively thrown away all the hard work from the 25th of June for a few cheap and disgusting thrills.

Although I'm not trying to quit yet, I promise I won't give you another smoke again.

Hang in there...

Come on tjomma, you can do it.

http://leadertank.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/waterboy-you-can-do-it.jpg

Thanks for the support guys. Was my own fault and nobody is to blame. I was a bloody pinhead for doing it and now I need to just push through.

**** all I can do about it.

Edited by S.I.R Maxxis

Was just thinking the same. At the moment my sinuses are clear and my HR is at 62bpm at the moment.

62 compared to 103 just after smoking a cigarette. SCARY!!!

I feel quite freaking good actually.

Edited by S.I.R Maxxis

Was just thinking the same. At the moment my sinuses are clear and my HR is at 62bpm at the moment.

62 compared to 103 just after smoking a cigarette. SCARY!!!

I feel quite freaking good actually.

Good luck dude..you can do it

post-36275-0-25752200-1347288909.jpg

Don't do it. I smoked for 25 years, cycled for 10 of those. I stopped and I feel so much better. Ignore all the bullsh*t about really wanting to stop. Everyone wants to stop, but it's like flipping heroin, it just keeps coming back at you. I stopped and started 4 times, and have been smoker free for 12 months. I will never smoke again, and I will never put myself though the withdrawal symptoms again. On my last success I use Champix & Nicorette combo, and lots of hard cycling. Today I feel awesome, and riding a bike is so much easier !!! JUST ****** DO IT !!!

Just try again, I cant remember how many times I tried to stop and failed. BUT the biggest mistake you can ever make is by having a drag on that smoke. Just one pull puts all that crap back in your system again. Avoid mates who smoke and places that make you want to smoke (bars etc) for a few weeks to make it easier. And its not all in vain, everyday yo udid not smoke saved some strain on your lungs (and your bank account at R30 a pkt!).

Today a year Ago I stopped smoking :) a year later instead of waking up to smoke I woke up to an awesome cycle

Life is good

Thanks for the support guys. Was my own fault and nobody is to blame. I was a bloody pinhead for doing it and now I need to just push through.

**** all I can do about it.

As Dangle says...you can do it!!!

Good luck and start looking forward to the benefits of stopping smoking ( you know what they are)

• 3 weeks later...

stopped about 2 - 3 weeks ago again, can confirm the HR is def down, thought it was to close before the K2C and that I will still be in "recovery" but in hindsight it was the best thing I could have done