Rotors - What Suggestions?

Caerus

It will be interesting to see if they have them. CL is literally Shimano's main focus... I know they exist, but just how available are they?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+3 Hope Floating.

Running them with 2011 XT.

Whats the reasoning behind it :unsure: , are they just better quality?

It will be interesting to see if they have them. CL is literally Shimano's main focus... I know they exist, but just how available are they?

I have sh1tmano 6 bolt discs...

CWC have them, so guessing pretty easily available, My link. Are these the HOPE to look at, My link .

quality... who cares about quality! they just look awesome!

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/images/ProductImages/fullsize/Components/Hope/hopemonom4rotors.jpg

;)

But yes, they are great quality. they're Hope, how can they not be!

CWC have them, so guessing pretty easily available, My link. Are these the HOPE to look at, My link .

yup! those be them! There are a few varients, but as long as you don't get the vented ones for the V2 brakes, they'll work with your shimano calipers

yup! those be them! There are a few varients, but as long as you don't get the vented ones for the V2 brakes, they'll work with your shimano calipers

Thanks for that :thumbup:

Read the reviews - link

Have 183 front and rear, fantastic stopping power.

And if you're scared that your calipers won't be able to handle the extra 1.5mm radius of the hopes, you can just get a couple of washers, put them between the adapter 7 the caliper, and your clearance issues will be sorted.

And if you're scared that your calipers won't be able to handle the extra 1.5mm radius of the hopes, you can just get a couple of washers, put them between the adapter 7 the caliper, and your clearance issues will be sorted.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but could you explain this for me.

Then will I need any other adapters for mounting the calipers if Im going from HOPE C2(old brakeset) to Shimano SLX. Im taking the SLX set off my Trance and onto my GT, and then the XT set goes onto the Trance.

Haha... Not stoopid, mate.

Basically, the 183mm disc is slightly bigger than your normal 180mm (duh!) and as such you might experience some contact between the rotor & the caliper if you don't adjust the mounting of the calipers to accommodate the extra diameter.

If you do experience some rubbing, there is a simple solution...

Take the caliper off the bike, leaving the adapter on the fork, and grab 2 washers. Put one washer on each mounting bolt, so that the washer sits between the caliper and the adapter (not between the head of the bolt and the caliper) This will effectively offset the caliper by an additional 1 ~ 1.5mm (depending on the thickness of the washers) and therefore overcome your clearance problem, whilst maintaining the integrity of the brake system, and without having to go out and buy a new adapter.

WRT the new brakeset - I have no idea. You might need new adapters for the SLX if the bike that it's going to has IS mounts for the calipers. Then again, if the bike the SLX is on at the moment also has IS mounts, then you might not. If both bikes have Post Mounts, and you already have a 180mm adapter, then you should also be fine...

Edited by cptmayhem

I will be finally getting my new 2012 Shimano XT Brake set this week :clap: The rotors that are included are centre lock and I need 6 Bolt. I know there are the Ice Tech rotors that you can get but they are pretty expensive, but they do recommend them for the new Shimano Brake sets.

I have the Alligator wind cutters on my other bike, which go with a SLY brake set. I'm not too keen on them as I find the calipers don't "grip" the rotors nicely because of the outside shape of the widcutter and thus results in the brakes shuddering.

So do I stick with the Alligator Brand but rather go with the Wavy rotor or the Pizza Cutter? Even willing to try the Shimano 6 Bolt. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and especially from any folks running the 2012 XT brakes.

Any bike shop will give you a 6 bolt to center lock converter i run mine with that configuration think it costs about R250 for the set. No biggy, and stay with the brand rotors, they get designed and devloped with those rotors for optimal performance.

• 1 month later...

need to get some new rotors myself, really want to pull the trigger on the floating hopes, anyone else want to please give me some encouragement....please