Shorter training rides, do they work?

Smolly

I got limited time to ride in the week (3-4 hours)so when I can I try f#%k myself up as much as possible.

If you think you're wasting your time on the bike then you probably are.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got limited time to ride in the week (3-4 hours)so when I can I try f#%k myself up as much as possible.

:lol:

Also known as 'junk miles'.

;)

Wanna race hard? Well, do intervals until you cant do anymore. When you get tired of them, suck it up and do some more. Like has already been said, get a coach. There is a fantastic coach here on the forumn - Maryke (sp?) - that will be able to help you. She got me fit for Sani in the limited time I have.

If you dont want to get a coach then get Dirk Friel's indoor workouts in a binder from kalahari.net and use those workouts to do 3 or 4 workouts in the week on your idt. Then on weekends get out with the bunches and ride.

Otherwise pm me, I have recently found a bunch of idt workouts online. But seriously consider chatting to Maryke.

Wanna race hard? Well, do intervals until you cant do anymore. When you get tired of them, suck it up and do some more. Like has already been said, get a coach. There is a fantastic coach here on the forumn - Maryke (sp?) - that will be able to help you. She got me fit for Sani in the limited time I have.

If you dont want to get a coach then get Dirk Friel's indoor workouts in a binder from kalahari.net and use those workouts to do 3 or 4 workouts in the week on your idt. Then on weekends get out with the bunches and ride.

Otherwise pm me, I have recently found a bunch of idt workouts online. But seriously consider chatting to Maryke.

agree on Maryke, her programmes got me going ,uch faster in a short amount of time, good stuff :clap:

Define your training goals to match up with your racing ambitions and do specific drills to reach your goals. Doing a stage race successfully is more like the reward you get for training hard than being the goal itself. Your goal can be to climb faster, recover faster, improve your technical skills, etc.

The worst thing you can do is to go riding with no goals in place for that session.

Measure your progress:

Take body measurements as well as resting heart rate, cholesterol, blood pressure and BMI

Do a timed lap every second week or get a power meter and measure your power output on the Indoor trainer. You will soon see what has the most impact on your training.

Often you can improve your performance by losing 4 or 5 kg's.

Riding 5 x a week for ave 2 hours at a time is better for fitness than riding 2 x a week for 5 hours ave.

Bottom line is that it is size and concentration of Mitochondria in yr muscles that dictate what you can do effort wise - they're the little buggers that convert stuff to energy that your muscles can use. More of them = more ability to generate energy. How do you increase them? Burn energy. Harder, faster = more energy burn. Longer = more energy burn.

So, you need to go as hard and fast as you can for as long as you can. If you have short, then go harder and faster.

The rest is detail. Management of fatigue, overtraining etc. But if you don't have the mito's, it ain't gonna happen. And at some level mito's don't care what you are doing, just that you are buring energy. So go walk up and down the stairs at work twice during the day - anything you can do to burn energy will add to the effectiveness of what cycling training you do manage to do.

How many kilos is a long slow on a mountain bike 50km or 120km or more

Not long SLOW, long STEADY - last time I'm saying that :angry:

So, what you guys are basically saying, is that I'm screwed with the Desert Dash only 45 days away? :o :o

So, what you guys are basically saying, is that I'm screwed with the Desert Dash only 45 days away? :o :o

Noooo MAN.........attack from the gun........ :lol: