32GI vs USN

Then I realised it was a lack of training.

People, there are no magic bullets.

I like to liquidise a packet of liquorice allsorts in a blender and throw in a large jar of hellmans mayonnaise. Then I spread the mixture evenly over both legs, put my compression stockings on and get a good night's sleep. In the morning I face due South and recite the Lords prayer 3 times whilst sipping a large bloody mary with extra worcestorshire sauce.

The last two races I have felt invincible for the first 60km but flagged a little towards the end. What am I doing wrong?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to liquidise a packet of liquorice allsorts in a blender and throw in a large jar of hellmans mayonnaise. Then I spread the mixture evenly over both legs, put my compression stockings on and get a good night's sleep. In the morning I face due South and recite the Lords prayer 3 times whilst sipping a large bloody mary with extra worcestorshire sauce.

The last two races I have felt invincible for the first 60km but flagged a little towards the end. What am I doing wrong?

Do you where a powerbalance band around both arms?

32GI for me. Hammer Perpetuim also works wonders, but I don't enjoy the texture.

I also use the 32GI chews as Gu's make me sick.

Again as a lot of people said. Try everything and stick what works for you.

Edited by gadget

Do you where a powerbalance band around both arms?

yes, I have one on each arm as well as the limited edition power balance headband with the '3rd eye' hologram laser.

I think I will try switching to Hellmans Light and see if that gives me a boost on the climbs.

think you forgot the terpentine on ur ass

yes, I have one on each arm as well as the limited edition power balance headband with the '3rd eye' hologram laser.

I think I will try switching to Hellmans Light and see if that gives me a boost on the climbs.

I found sucking on a 9v battery also works.....

And also touching the electric fence every 3rd Wednesday of the month.

:huh:

Lets try and answer the guy's question and move on? ;)

Lets try and answer the guys question and move on? ;)

Ok.. I have used 32 GI, Cadence Revolution and Prologue, USN Cytopower, Cytomax, FiT Carbo Supreme, FiT Duratrain, Hammer Perpetuem and Heed, PVM Octane, Water, Green tea, Low cal Grenadilla squash (my current favourite training drink), some of the Hi5 stuff, enough coffee to jumpstart a brontosaurus and good old Coca Cola.

Apologies to any other concoctions that old age or the sands of time have wiped from my memory banks.

None of them worked as well as training like a mother f*cker.

Having said that, 32 GI is good for long rides at a more or less constant tempo. Did the trick for me at DC last year and I'll be using it again this year.

Edited by Lucky Luke.

Lets try and answer the guy's question and move on? ;)

Could be the reason for that acid build-up you're experiencing... Maybe you should pop a Lithium every 20kays or so?

Edited by granfondo

Ok.. I have used 32 GI, Cadence Revolution and Prologue, USN Cytopower, Cytomax, FiT Carbo Supreme, FiT Duratrain, Hammer Perpetuem and Heed, PVM Octane, Water, Green tea, Low cal Grenadilla squash (my current favourite training drink), some of the Hi5 stuff, enough coffee to jumpstart a brontosaurus and good old Coca Cola.

Apologies to any other concoctions that old age or the sands of time have wiped from my memory banks.

None of them worked as well as training like a mother f*cker.

Having said that, 32 GI is good for long rides at a more or less constant tempo. Did the trick for me at DC last year and I'll be using it again this year.

Jees Luke! All that supplements and you only came in 3rd this wknd. Shame on you! :P

Jees Luke! All that supplements and you only came in 3rd this wknd. Shame on you! :P

Ha ha, yes I used to drink a ton of energy this that and the other and when you do that your body craves it all the time.

Nowadays I save a bunch of money training on low cal squash.

Sunday all I had time for was half a bottle of FiT Carbo Supreme and 2 gels.

Edited by Lucky Luke.

Hi fellow Hubbers

I said I would report back on the Hammer stuff, so here we go.

Yesterday I went for a quick gym session (didn't kill myself, because I knew we were going for a night ride).

After the gym I had a quick sandwich, and off we go on a planned 40km night ride.

Armed with a bottle of HEED and a bottle of Perpetium, I was off.

The ride panned out to be a 70km night ride, and bad nutrition running up to it.

At the end of the ride, I was LEKKER moeg, but never ran out of energy.

The HEED has a very immediate effect, and the Perpetium helps with sustained energy.

Perpetium does not have the taste of an ice cold beer (especially after a ride), but the reason for drinking that is not taste, but nutrition and sustained energy.

So, I have to conclude, the Hammer HEED and Perpetium ROCKS!!!

Happy Hoopin'

Used to swear by cytomax, I used it before, during and after rides.

Had to be very careful what I ate off the bike, as I'd pick up weight very quickly.

But 32GI gives me better results overall. I've swapped over to it. Just something seems to feels better, more natural. I'll even sip on it if I am feeling drained on a hot afternoon - it refreshes me very quickly. I don't have quick weight gains either. Can't quite describe it, but my body just seems to enjoy it. (and that right there, is everything - Bud, just find out what works for you!!)

I will add that I still rate Cytomax for the last 10km of racing. Cytomax has green tea extract (similar to caffeine) it does help to clear and freshen the mind and that gives a sensation of a lift and a boost. But sometimes that's like putting a turbo on an old 1400 Datsun.

Less is more - if you train your body to burn fat the only time you will need to train with energy drink is for 3 hour rides and over. Save money, burn fat, race faster.

Less is more - if you train your body to burn fat the only time you will need to train with energy drink is for 3 hour rides and over. Save money, burn fat, race faster.

Agree with you Luke, my rides are usually water only, the only time I ever use energy drink is on very high intensity sessions, but mainly weekend sessions which are usually up to around 5-6hours. Up to 2 -2.5hours water is good for me and that sees me for rides of around 65-75km and runs of around 25-30km, if you eat a decent Pre-training meal then u r set and becoming more and more efficient at burning fat at a higher intensity with time it can only benefit u immensely, the only thing that I do stress on this is that in my case because I'm

A triathlete when I do back to back sessions I need to ensure I do fuel in a session sometimes as I'm not fuelling for the existing session but ensuring i am fuelled and recovered for the next session. I always have my next sessions in my mind and i need to know my

Glycogen stores and muscles are ready for the next one, I'm freaky meticulous about this to the n'th degree. So I suppose what I am trying to stress is planning training sessions is one thing but everyone should be planning their nutrition as well in order to ensure they achieve their goals having their next sessions in mind and also whether its becoming more efficient at fat burning, sparing glycogen, recovering, loading and more, whatever your training plan or purpose is u need to ensure that your nutrition supports this, and I need to stress again, it's not about what's in the bottle on the bike, yes it has a major purpose, but it's useless without ensuring you are eating correctly from the time you get up until the time you go to sleep. This is where the true difference in performance will lie for everyone = performance starts with nutrition training is second to that ;-)